Getting in Shape
Options

Eating Healthy When Eating Out

What are your favorite places to go? I'm going to be living out of a hotel for 6 days and eating out quite a bit then. Are there good fast food salads? I usually go for Chick-fil-a salads, but need to branch out lol

Re: Eating Healthy When Eating Out

• Options
    If I can, I prefer to go to grocery stores and get ready (freshish) made meals there. Fresh and Easy make "eatwell" meals. They have all the nutritional information right on the front and are generally under 500 calories. Most grocery stores I've seen now have salad bars too, which can be healthy (depending on what you put in them of course)! It's just as quick and easy as fast food.
  • Options
    Do you have a smart phone? There are some good apps that help with calorie counts of resturant foods, that may help you.
    Try to remember what a real portion size is too. Wedmd has some good visuals for portion sizes of products.
    Stick to the basics if you don't know what to order, ask for no butter on veggies, skip the rolls, drink water instead of soda, and avoid creamy sauces.
    Hotels usually have a fitness center, try to use that a few times a week.
    Hope that help you! Good luck!
  • Options
    I would do an Internet search before I go for health food stores and a whole foods. Whole foods has a great salad bar and lots of other prepared foods that are healthy. Lots of small health food stores have great prepared foods that are good for you. Also, I occasionally go to chipotle b/c my fi loves it and get a salad bowl there with just lettuce, tomato, fresh salsa, black beans and the peppers and onions. I skip on the cheese, guac, and sour cream. Or subway veggie sub and baked chips meal is not bad for a lunch and they have egg whites whith veggies for breakfast.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Chain fast food joints are easily recognizeable, but check out the area and see if there are local food places in the area.    Even small places like a BBQ joint will probably have a salad or low-cal chicken dish, and if there are small sandwich and soup places.  

Also, Don't be afraid to look at kids options...due to pressures on fast food joints to have healthy kids meals, you can get apples or carrots with chicken (sometimes even grilled chicken). 
  • Options
    I work at a restaurant and it is hard to stay in shape.

• Options
    Utilize your mini-fridge and go to the grocery store.  
  • Options
    I hate fast food salads, they're so bland haha. But as long as you don't drench it in ranch, you should be fine wherever.

One thing I like to do is get a chicken sandwich (I should get grilled but I'm bad and end up with fried most of the time.. blah) and ask them to hold the sauce. I'll get some BBQ sauce on the side and use that instead. Simple things like that really help.

You should check out the Eat This, Not That articles on menshealth.com if you haven't already. They have a lot of good advice about where to eat, what to get, and what kinds of swaps to make. It's really helpful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    Order a salad as a first course then get half your meal to go and have it the next day for lunch!
  • Options
    I am a pharmaceutical sales rep and eating out has been my biggest challenge because I bring doctors offices breakfast, lunch and snacks almost daily. Fitnesspal app has been my biggest savior. You can put in the restaurant and see some menu items from there and calories/fat/etc. I thought some of the things I were eating were healthy and I was WRONG. Order from the kids menu if you can. Always sub veggies. Most restaurants can always do a grilled chicken and veggies/fruit option.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards