North Carolina-Raleigh-Durham

XP: Engagement photo locations?

Hi everyone! I posted a similar question on the military brides board, but thought I'd ask you all as well:

Fi and I are looking for a nice place to have engagement photos done - Fi is stationed at Ft Bragg and our photographer lives in Chapel Hill, so anywhere around either of those places would work! (Raleigh too, as it's between them).

I'm not at all familiar with the area (I live in Ohio), and Fi can't think of anywhere in Fayetteville he'd like to do them. We're hoping to do them this month. Any help is appreciated!
White Knot Visit The Knot! Daisypath Graduation tickers

Re: XP: Engagement photo locations?

• pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What kind of place do you have in mind?  Inside? Outside? Any particular feel you're going for?
  • edited December 2011
    Yikes, I figured someone would ask that, lol. I'm not sure!!!

I'm imagining an outdoor place, but certainly an indoor one would not be a bad option in August heat. The wedding is going to be "dressy casual" with a BBQ reception, so probably nothing overly fancy for the engagement pics either. We're pretty casual people.

I guess I imagine somewhere outdoors with a very pretty landscape OR somewhere geeky - the only problem with that is we're two entirely separate breeds of geek; he's history/politics/military and I'm science/ theatre.

I guess I should really just talk to the photographer... I was just hoping to wow her with my awesome ideas before we meet!
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No that's good info.  That counts as "something to work with". 

Duke Gardens is awesome and beautiful and a popular spot for photos, but they charge a small fee.  There's a rose garden in Raleigh that's pretty too, and associated with the Raleigh Little Theater.  Also the JC Raulston Arboretum or the Botanical Gardens in Fayetteville or the Botanical Gardens in Chapel Hill would all be good choices. 

It's a little out of the way but you could use the Bentonville Battlefield if you want to bring the History Geek part into it. 

Or you could hit downtown Raleigh and do sites like the State Capitol.  Or at the NC Art Museum, which has an awesome outdoor space.  Or Haywood Hall, which is a historic home with gardens. 

Most of those places up there are clickly links, if you care to get more info. 
  • tarheelbabstarheelbabs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love!! The NC Art Museum. Totally great venue for photos. My dress came in 2 weeks before my wedding--too late for the bridals, but that's where I'm going to do them. NC Capitol is nice. Also, there are great locations on both UNC & NCSU's campuses. The arboretum is a great suggestion, too.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the great suggestions!
  • edited December 2011
    Downtown Durham is a really nice area for photos too if you're looking for something more rustic/urban. I second the NC museum of art, they have a cool park. And UNC campus is gorgeous too.
  • edited December 2011
    We just took ours yesterday and the heat wasn't too bad. We were on an old farm, but mainly just took pictures in the field and the two pictures I've seen, they turned out beautifully. The pictures are more about us and nature than buildings and other scenery.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards