Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Name Change - Timeline?

I'm not sure what the order is for getting my name changed, I'm also wondering if there is a set timeline for when things need to be changed. I'm wondering for the timeline professionally more than anything else. I work in the financial services industry and am wondering (if anyone is in a similar situation as me) if it had to be done by a certain time for regulators like the SEC etc.

For normal questions, do you have to get the SS card before the drivers license. I thought this would be true, but I went to my bank yesterday to add DH to my accounts and they said we only needed the marriage license to change my name. TIA!

Re: Name Change - Timeline?

• schmoodschmood member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can do either the SS or license first.... however, you need to have the official copy of your marriage license in order to do either.    I did SS first, then license.   I got the new SS card back in less than 2 weeks.   Still don't have my license....but they did say that would likely take about 5 wks.   USBank told me that I needed both the new SS and license in order to change my name on my accts.   Word of advice, do allow some time to wait at the SS office.   I went mid-morning and it wasn't too bad (about a 1/2 hr), but some people have waited multiple hours there...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • VeittobeVeittobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you have to send out the official copy of your marriage license when you apply for each item?  That would make things take a lot longer if you have to wait for the marriage license to come back to you every time.  
    Mike and Kelly 10.01.10
    MSP Signature Challenge:Favorite Registry Item=Wine Cellar
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    BIO!! Updated 06/20/10

• Mrs TKMrs TK member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did SS then license then bank then passport.  You need your original marriage license for each one and you need to send it in for your passport so make sure you do all the other items before sending it in.  I waited at the SS office for 1.5 hours - bring a book or something.  Also, you must go to the downtown loction for this!  License was the normal process - again I wanted over an hour. Took about 7 weeks to get back in the mail. Bank was easy - just go in and they update it (i didn't need my SS card like pp said)  Passport seemed so hard when I was doing research, but was actually quite easy.  They said 5 weeks, but I got mine back in about 2 weeks.

I changed my name right away when I went back to work.  I'm a contractor and was working with a new group of people after 3 weeks off so it was just easier to have my email and name be my new name then be my old name for a few weeks then change.  I don't know about and SEC name change regulations.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards