Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Reception locations?

I am looking for a place to have my reception.  I have looked into places like Jay Verno Studio, the zoo/aquarium, and History Center.  Love all of them, but they are too pricey. I perused the other locations the knot listed, but none of them stuck out.  I really just want to do something simple like under a tent with fun lights, etc. Unfortunately, we don't always have beautiful sunny days in Pittsburgh.  Any ideas for a reception??

Re: Reception locations?

• edited December 2011
    My MOH's dad owns A-1 rental and could get you a tent.  Why not do the tent inside?  We put up a tent during final night of recruitment.  It was decorated like it was outside and turned out to be a lot of fun.  Then you could look at firehalls, etc. 
    My Bio
    Derp Engagement Photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bgfst1bgfst1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Aviary's Rose Garden area is really nice for outdoor weddings.... or you can do something tented and outside of Hartwood Acres.
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    J Verno and Heinz are pricey venues, but the Zoo should have come in at  a much different price point.  In terms of affordable tent venues in the city, I only know the Zoo and the Aviary.  bgfst's idea of hartwood acres might work as well.    Let us know your budget/# of guests, and maybe we can give more specifics.

You could always add drapery to an indoor venue to make it look more like a tent/give it a tent feel.  GL!
  • edited December 2011
    Having a tent or drapery indoors is a really good idea!!  Gives me something to think about :-)  I'm going to be having about 250 guests.  I thought of Hartwood Acres, but it might be a little too far for my guests (I would like my older relatives to be able to attend).  Thank you everyone for the ideas!!
  • hotrodvixen61hotrodvixen61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was coming across the same issue. I found a venue in Beaver that is huge and supplies the tents (and almost everything) into the cost. it is called THE GATHERING PLACE ON DARLINGTON LAKE (actually my icon is me and my huby to be on the steps) :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • awilsonbsmsawilsonbsms member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depending on how far you're willing to go out of town, the Laurel Highlands are chock full of options.  There's CWK Winery, Penn Scenic View, and of course the ski resorts!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • arf3420arf3420 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's not an outdoor venue, but you could look into the Pittsburgh Opera House.  That's where our reception is going to be.  I had a heck of a time finding it because it's not really ever talked about or advertised!  It's top secret or something.  Lol.   It's a really cool building - remodeled warehouse with exposed brick walls, really high ceilings, huge windows all around.  It's kind of a fun, modern space, and even though it isn't outdoors (I also wanted outdoors in a tent at first) it is light and airy feeling.  And there is a balcony that wraps around the perimeter, so I'm going to string long strings of the cafe/globe lights across from one balcony to the other, so that will add sort of a fun, outdoorish vibe.  And it's super affordable!!!   One of the only venues I found that let you bring in your own caterer and alcohol.  We estimate our per person cost to be less than $40, including the venue, food, alcohol, dishes, linens, etc.  It's more work to DIY everything, but well worth the savings I think!   And I think they can hold up to 300 or 350 people.  Good luck! :-)
  • keystoneXOXOkeystoneXOXO member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE the idea of the PGH Opera House! Everytime I drive past it, I think about what a cool building that is. How do you get in contact with someone about a rental? The website had no info...haha it does seem super top secret!
    Craig and Alix 2013 Fallingwater Wedding
    Lucky I'm in love with my best friend ... 
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • djtoothdjtooth member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if you want a place out of the way a little bit, google search 'betsy's barn'. it is a wonderful venue that gives you the best of outdoors and indoors (in case of weather). i djed a wedding there and it was great!! the couple even did the wedding outside in a tent out back of the barn.
    Tom Barnes aka DJ Tooth www.djtooth.com iamtooth@aol.com
  • rpbmweddingrpbmwedding member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I wanted to get in touch with you about the pittsburgh opera house. How did you find this rental info? I searched around and didnt find anything. We have a friend that is a caterer and also have a discounted alochol package, and also were looking for somthing in the city - love the strip!

If you could pass along the info I would truly appreciate it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards