Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Southside Bachelorette Party Help

I have narrowed down the party to the Southside but I need some help picking out the good bars to go to.  I am trying to avoid overly crowded college age bars.  We are in our late 20s.  Please comment on the following:
DINNER - Bruschetta's, Le Pommier, Mallorca, Ibiza or Paparazzi
BARS - Elixir Ultra Lounge, Lava Lounge, S Bar, Shootz Cafe, The Bar at 3212, Tiki Lounge, Rumshakers and Saddle Ridge.

Is the dueling piano bar Charlie Murdoch's fun?  Please let me know if you have any other suggestions for this area.  I really appreciate your help!

Re: Southside Bachelorette Party Help

• Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mallorca and Ibiza are really good. 

Avoid Rumshakers and Tiki Lounge and Saddleridge isn't in the South Side. Charlie Murdoch's is a lot of fun. I have never been to the others.

I think you're going to find that most of the bars in the South Side are exactly what you don't want-overcrowded college age bars.  

Hopefully someone who has been to the others will chime in with more info.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    yrteemsyrteems member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I agree with pantherRN. Avoid tiki lounge and lava lounge. Saddle Ridge is fun if you like country music, line dancing, and mechanical bulls. Not sure of the average age there, though. 

For an older crowd, I would recommend the southside works -- down where the Cheesecake factory is. You have there the Hoffbraugh House, which is a really fun restaurant/bar, and the Wine Loft, among other restaurants and bars. 

The Pub (farther west on Carson) is another recommendation -- it's an older crowd and it has lots of great British beers and ales. 

I haven't been to the dueling piano bar; I HAVE been to the one at the waterfront, and I can say that it is NOT fun. It's annoying, the drinks are watered down, and they only have micro-brews, and they suck. The singers are sexist and obnoxious. I'm not sure if this dueling piano bar you mention (Charlie Murdoch's?) is similar or not. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Bruschetta's, Paarazzi and Shootz are no longer open.  I have been in Rum Shaker's before and I hated it.  You may want to look at Zen that is in Station Square.  A lot of the places in Southside would have a lot of college age students in them.  I went to Whim for my party and had fun.

• Options
    JamieK1882JamieK1882 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a big fan of Charlie Murdoch's, I like Sing Sing at the waterfront better, but some friends of mine love Charlie's so I guess it just depends. Its small inside but if you get there early enough they have a little balcony area that could probably fit your group and has its own bar.

Have you thought about Dolce? Its near the end of south side (side close to ss works). My friends and I like to go there because it seems less of a college crowd and is never super crowded (but still enough people to be fun).
  • Options
    abbys0420abbys0420 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the other girls, there are going to be a lot of college kids wherever you go on the south side. Maybe if you go when school is not in session it wouldn't be as bad though...

As far as bars go, we used to go to Pipers Pub a lot and it was sort of an older crowd. 

Dish or Nakama would be my restaurant suggestions.
  • Options
    dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    edited December 2011
    DINNER - Bruschetta's- CLOSED, Le Pommier- NEVER BEEN TO, Mallorca - GREAT FOOD, Ibiza- NEVER BEEN TO or Paparazzi - CLOSED
    BARS - Elixir Ultra Lounge might be an ok option, Lava Lounge college-y, S Bar - never been to, Shootz Cafe never been to, The Bar at 3212 never been to, Tiki Lounge college-y, Rumshakers college-y and Saddle Ridge not in southside, but lots of fun if you like country

I have been to Charlie Murdock's for a Bachelorette party and would suggest getting a reservation there for the night you want to go. This would ensure you get a table and will have room for your group. I've always had fun when I've been there, but they do get a bit raunchy.

I do agree though that the South side works is another good option. As mentioned there are several good restaurants there, including Claudagh (sp?) which has a small private room that depending on the size of your group, could be a good option for dinner. Dolce is a great bar that isn't really filled with college kids - at least it wasn't when I was there. And you still can dance if that's what your looking for! I also love the hoffbrahaus, especially if its a nice night and you can sit outside!

• Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! The girls have given some good suggestions and I agree w/ most of their reccomendations... I just wanted to add that I am not (nor have I ever really been) into the 'going out' thing but some places in SS that I love to go to are:

Nakama -- they have great drinks and a fun atmosphere in the bar area - plus you can get great apps while you are enjoying a cocktail. Dinner is fabulous there too!

Villa -- it is a super trendy atmosphere and the few times I have gone, it brought in an older, working professional type crowd which I loved. They also had the most amazing watermelon martini I have ever tasted ;) It's on 19th and Carson.
    http://www.villasouthside.com/

And lastly, I was just home a month or so ago and saw a new bar in Station Square (right across from the Grand Concorse - not sure the name) it looked really trendy and nice. I have not gone there yet but added it to my list of places to go when I go home and have to go out... lol

Other than that, SS tends to attract a more college age, partying, drinnking type crowd. HTH! ps - the piano bar sounds super fun!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are looking to avoid the college-aged kids for the BP I would go to Station Square. You can do dinner at Seasame Inn, Bucca ( my personal choice for a BP as the atmospher is fun and friendly), melting pot ( if you want something a little pricer and trendy, Joe's Crab Shack, etc. Afterwards there are you can start at the bars in station square (they usually have an older crowd) and then hop a cab, or limo to southside and do the bars you want to do there. By the end of the night you probably won't care so much if theres college kids in the bar!
  • Options
    ros3392ros3392 member
    edited December 2011
    Dish has fantastic food, although you might want to make a reservation. Saddle Ridge is fun, I was actually there late one night with a bachelorette party. I actually think it might have been a mix between young and older crowd, but it was pretty late into it and my memory may be making that up :-)

I will second Nakama, I love that place! Although it can get pretty crowded on a Saturday.

I was at Zen once and hated it. Definitely a singles, college aged or young professionals crowd, BUT they did have a decent DJ.

I think GMC is talking about 5ive.. I've never been, but I've heard great things!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    actually, what about the more upscale bars in the southside works, like dolce? they are likely to be less college student like and more elixir like..i think? station square isn't exactly the south side though. you could try the new bar/club they just opened-5ive..it appears to be very lounge-like. pretty much anywhere you go in the south side (on carson street) is going to be jam packed.

we did sing sing for my bach party and had a ton of fun! i've heard that charlie murdoch's isn't as good, but i don't know first hand.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Wine Loft and Tusca in Southside Works are both nice places to hang out and get Tapas.  Both are good for an older corwd I think and also if you like wine.  The good thing about the southside is if you don't like the crowd in one bar there's a different bar next door to try.  I like Carson City and Mario's the best in that area.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I didn't even think of South Side Works. Dolce is an option there, and Tusca is really good.

I think Station Square is still kind of college-y, but maybe not so much now that Matrix is gone. What about somewhere in Downtown, like Olive or Twist? I've never been, but from what I hear, it's an upscale martini bar...def not college age.

And, whoever said to make a reservation at Charlie Murdoch's is spot on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards