Plus-Sized
Options

Strategically placed veil?

I went to a bridal show on Sunday and they had a fashion show... some of the models weren't exactly model types and more than half were plus size.  There was a few in particular that looked like they were sardined into the dresses... When they turned around there was the dreaded "back fat spill" over the dress and it looked kinda terrible.  The comments in the audience were AWFUL... I'm all about showing my curves but now I'm conscious that my back will look terrible in the pics.  I lost a significant amount of weight so I have hangy type skin in some areas including my back.  I was not planning on wearing a veil since its my second wedding but now its all I can think about.  I'm sort of freaking out that I'll look terrible in my pics.... My fi and I work at the same company and its all men.... A lot of them are avid photographers, on my facebook and what not so they will definitely see our wedding pics and will want to...... I don't want them to be OMIGODing and I can't stop thinking about looking terrible.  I love my dress, it has a very low cut back though... dress is chiffon and I was thinking maybe a chiffon veil placed a under my hair style in the back. Do you think this would look okay??  I know they make chiffon veils - a little more pricey but I'd be willing to shell it out.. I'm thinking chiffon because its a bit more opaque and would go nicely with my dress... Maybe I'm freaking out for nothing.  

Re: Strategically placed veil?

• Options
    RaptorSLHRaptorSLH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Veils, long hair, wraps, boleros/jackets, and capes can all be used to help camouflage this.  I've seen pics of veils attached under an updo, if it's the location you're questioning.

That said, I was paranoid about this too, so I was more than a little surprised to discover that the sample of my dress did not do this.  It has much to do with how the dress is fitted, where your undergarments squeeze, and where that back line hits in relation to your individual geography.

You will have the opportunity to discuss this fear with your seamstress at your fittings.  She can help show you if your dress is guilty of this, and what you can do to change or disguise it.  That's an opportunity a model in a sample dress doesn't have.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    becka717becka717 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    If you think the veil would help or give you more confidence, go for it.  I think even a normal veil might make you feel more confident.  I actually think the lower backed dresses help elongate the back and make the back fat bulge less noticeable.

Make sure your dress gets altered correctly.  I think that will help because it will fit the way it is supposed to and probably be more flattering.  You mentioned that the larger girls looked squished into the dresses, so the dresses weren't fitting them well, leading to more bumps and bulges.

You could do some exercises to tone your shoulders and back.  That should help smooth the appearance. 

ETA:  I'm sure you look beautiful in your dress and that there are no bulges, but if you are still worried, read the above.

This box shipped toys? No this box is toy! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I think a veil would look nice if that's what you wanted. When I went in for my fitting my seamstress had me hold my arms all the way above my head while she pulled up and zipped the back; it resulted in no visible back fat. Like PPs said, it's all about how your dress fits. 
  • Options

OP, we've had this conversation before - though it was right when the board was new.  Because of the conversation...i got a veil.  :)  I coudln't agree more in disguising some imperfections, and i think a veil will do just that.  Good Luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    OMG, i just realized my siggy says 3 months!! HOLY COW!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ...Although, thinking about your post, I'm impressed they used plus-size girls at all.  I actually crossed one bridal salon off my list without even calling based on their fashion show at the local bridal expo.  All super skinny girls, and a ton of dresses fitted past the hips, in a way that would have highlighted exactly the wrong things on me.  Ugh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

The store running the show should at least make sure the dresses mostly fit. Regardless of sizing, an improperly fitting dress doesn't look as good.  At a small bridal show I went to, the dresses were too big on the model, and her bra was showing in back.  I smirked to myself at that. 

This box shipped toys? No this box is toy! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I've seen some very bad fashion shows at bridal events.  they dresses are not altered or even remotely fitting the models and that went for all the girls whatever shape or size they were.  i understand they don't want to make changes to a dress that is only being worn by a model once or twice for a bridal show, but having a fashion show where the dresses look awful at the girls isn't that great for business either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards