North Carolina
Options

Caterers

Has anyone hired a caterer in the Greensboro/High Point/ Winston Salem area that they highly reccomend? I am going to have about 130-140 people at my wedding and wanted to have either a sit down or buffet style dinner with a catering budget of about $2,500. It seems like catering is really expensive and just wanted to see who you guys used and how much it cost per person.
(Even if you aren't in the Triad area, your responses are greatly appreciated :) ) Also, mention what kind of menu you had. Thanks!

Re: Caterers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am using a caterer in Gastonia. My menu consists of a huge variety, including, but not limited to: carved roast beef with rolls and sauces, chicken tenders with dipping sauces, chicken salad croissants, ham spirals, turkey spirals, spinach spirals, southwestern dip and spinach dip with chips/breads/baguettes, pasta salad, crab cakes, shrimp cocktail, salmon bruschetta, sausage and cheddar cheese stuffed mushrooms, fruit display, vegetable display, cheese display, and chocolate fountain. It seems like I'm forgetting stuff, but that's good enough for now. My catering is approximately $30/person. That price includes tea, water, coffee, all dishes, serveware, and silverware, as well as cake cutting/serving, Hope that helps!
  • Options
    ktyd8ktyd8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    check out visions catering. they are out of thomasville. i was using them but then cancelled due to location change but they are awesome. we were getting a great buffet menu for about $16/person. they will also do all your linens, provide china, drinking glasses, utensils and have waiters and everything that you pretty much need.

www.visionscatering.com
    ~Kaitlyn~
    Anniversary
    My Chart
    DX PCOS 2002 @ age 14
    DX Diabetes 3/12
    My Diabetes Blog
    TTA until ?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the help. :) I actually had Visions Catering on my list so that is good to know!
  • Options
    occbyemoccbyem member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow--$16/person is definitely a good price.  A reasonable price per person can often range between $25 and $40, just to give you a little perspective.  One thing to keep in mind is whether or not you'll be serving alcohol.  This adds a major expense and you'll want to check with the caterer about their willingness/ability to serve alcohol as well as the extra glassware.  Another thing to ask about is whether or not they will cut and serve the cake.  Believe it or not, there is a special technique to wedding cake cutting!  Finally, make sure you request a tasting with whichever caterer you choose.  Then you can see presentation and taste the fabulous flavors for yourself!  Have fun!
  • Options
    Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are meeting with Visions Catering next week to taste their food and go over their packages.  The prices look amazing - I think a large buffet was about $20/person, but that included passed appetizers and several other "stations."  Their alcohol package was about $16/person for wine/beer/champagne/liquor which would put total per adult at $36/person, which is cheaper than some of the hotels we looked at having our reception at.  (We went with Magnolia Manor instead).

My only concern with Visions is that we checked them out on the Central NC Better Business Bureau website, and their BBB rating is an "F" due to the fact that they have had 5 complaints in the past 36 months and have one unresolve and did not respond to one.  We plan on talking to them about that -- 5 complaints in three years does not sound too bad, but hopefully they have a reason for not responding to one of them. 

Has anyone else used Visions and can tell me if their service is good?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    After you talk with them, could you post back about what they say? I would like to know too to see if they are still someone to consider. (I have a while to go before I should even meet with vendors lol)

Thank you! & Good Luck! :)
  • Options
    Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We met with Visions today.  Asked them about the BBB rating, and apparently almost all of the complaints were related to one person who wanted them to do a wedding and kept piling on demands until what she was asking for was well above what they had quoted her (after getting a quote she suddenly wanted kosher, which would have meant they had to get their kitchen blessed).  Apparenly the BBB wouldn't post their responses without the company paying a registration fee, so they quit responding to the BBB and apparently are currently in litigation with this girl who keeps complaining about them.  So we were pretty satisfied with the answer.  They do 50% of the events at our venue, and the wedding coordinator there said she has only ever had one complaint in years and they worked with the bride on that. 

Another good thing was that you don't have to finalize your menu until 12 days before the event, and they are wiling to prepare gluten-free meals (or any other specialty diet) for no extra charge -- just reduce number fof people for the buffet.  As we have 5-6 people in our families who will need this, that was exciting to hear.  Suffice it to say we enjoyed meeting with them and will probably book them!  Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards