• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Vermont

New to the Vermont Boards

My fiance and I recently became engaged (10/3/09), and while we currently live in NYC, we are looking to have our wedding in southern Vermont in fall 2010 near the area I grew up. We are leaning toward outdoor locations in Manchester or Bennington. Anyway, I'm looking forward to sharing with you all my recommendations based the experiences I have and learning from everyone else's experiences. This is a very exciting time and you only get to do it once. I want everything to be perfect!

Re: New to the Vermont Boards

• edited December 2011
    Welcome and congratulations! To be honest, there isn't a whole lot of activity on the VT board, but everyone is great about answering questions. I can't help much with recommendations for the southern VT area because I'm getting married in northern VT, but there are many knowledgeable brides or brides-to-be on here. I would definitely check VT vows website and get a copy of the magazine if you can. Also, knowing you want a fall 2010 wedding, I would start thinking about booking something ASAP because fall is a very popular time for weddings in VT (for obvious reasons ;)). Good luck with the planning!
  • subdolasubdola member
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments
    edited December 2011
    Welcome :)  I am a NYC dweller who was married in Southern Vermont (Cavendish) last summer, it was a lot of work to plan from afar but very much worth it!  I had a few really good vendors and am happy to help out any way I can! 
    We're currently on a 15 month trip around the world!
    **Check out our travel blog**
    Planning Bio Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Hey! Welcome! I agree, this is kind of a slow board, but helpful all the same! There is a fairly famous inn in Manchester... I wish I could remember the name. We were looking at it before we booked. We're getting married at Mt. Snow, which isn't far from there... Ditto on booking early! Very, very important. When are you planning on getting married? In VT, it is best to book about a year ahead. Things start to book up very fast!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I've already pulled some great caterer, DJ, photographer information off of the site. Knowing how popular Vermont can be in the fall, my fiance and I are already on the hunt for the perfect ceremony/reception site. As of this weekend we've narrowed it down to two locations: The Hildene - Manchester, VT [historical and elegant] or the Hubbell Homestead (aka Colgate Park) in Bennington [rustic and closest to my home]. Both are beautiful and have magnificent views, it is just a matter of pulling the trigger to book.... I'm beyond eager to lock in the venue, since the locations will effect everything else - dress, colors, menu, music, etc... (Blueyesvt - you are probably thinking of the Equinox - the famous Manchester hotel. Even with the recent renovations, it just wasn't quite right for us.)
  • edited December 2011
    Yes... that was it! Good luck booking! VT in the fall is great. My cousin got married a few years ago in the middle of foliage in Stowe. It was a beautiful wedding :)
  • edited December 2011
    also check out the NH and MASS boards, as they are all such close states.  A lot of vendors in the area are used to traveling across state lines with very little travel fees (if any).  The NH is always jammed with info!  Good luck and congrats!
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board! I am getting married in Bennington in July.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi! My fiancé and I are in DC, and we just booked our wedding at the Echo Lake Inn in Ludlow. It might be a little further north than what you're looking for, but I swear, I researched 63 different venues in NH and VT (I hate to admit that!) and Ruxana and Laurence from Echo Lake were BY FAR the most professional, attentive, enjoyable people we dealt with. The inn is lovely (we stayed overnight) and their restaurant has been featured in Gourmet and Bon Appetit. After having had a disaster scenario with our first venue (in Moultonborough, NH) who cancelled on us 6 weeks after we booked it, I was really nervous. Ruxana and Laurence have been AMAZING, and it feels like that other ordeal is long and far behind us. We are SO excited about Echo Lake, and every bride I have spoken to who had here wedding there has been, too. Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards