Massachusetts-Cape Cod
Options

Lower/Outer Cape Reception & Ceremony Sites

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board and working on planning a June/July 2011 wedding. I'm in the process of researching venues, and would love some opinions! I'll have around 175-200 guests, and want to have the ceremony and reception at the same place. A water view and beach access is a must. Do any of you ladies have thoughts on these places?:

-Provincetown Inn: It's dirt cheap, and that concerns me. I've read some reviews that said it's run-down and smells funny. Has anyone been there?

-Orleans Inn: Seems reasonably-priced, but I'm concerned about space. It seems like, in order to fit 200 people, the reception would have to be spread among a few rooms. I'm also a little concerned about dealing with the park application to have my ceremony outside.

-Ocean Edge: I'm looking into the Bay Pines Pavilion in particular. This seems to be very reasonably-priced for a luxury resort. But looking at the property map, it doesn't seem like any of the ceremony or reception areas are actually in view of the water (except for the Mansion, which can only hold 50 guests). Am I wrong?

-Wychmere Harbor: This would be perfect, of course, and has everything I want, but is it worth the high price?

I don't exactly have a budget yet (I know, I'm going about this all wrong), but I think I can swing at least $35,000. Obviously, I realize that some of these places are way above that, but I'm telling myself that if I find the ideal place, I'll find a way to get the money together!

Thanks so much in advance!

Re: Lower/Outer Cape Reception & Ceremony Sites

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I can only speak for the Ocean Edge, but we had looked specifically at the Bay Pines Pavillion as well and it was one of our top three choices. You are right, it's not within view of the water, though it is a short walk away. The cocktail hour is out by the pool, which I thought would be really beautiful IF the weather permits. Otherwise the cocktail hour is in the same space as the rest of it. I was totaly anti tent, but this wasn't really a tent, more like a little building draped to look like a tent (only nicer than that sounds!). The bathrooms are outside the tent, near the pool, and were just ok.  I can tell you their minimum for a Saturday night was at least $25,000 for food and drink (no min number of people). Not sure what else I can tell you about it-- I did really love it, but in the end I didn't feel like it was quite worth the money. The resort is SO gorgeous though. Let me know if you have any other questions about it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much! Just to clarify, I'm living in Georgia now (though I'm from New England), so that's why I can't see any of these places for myself at this point.
  • Options
    CCBelATCCCBelATC member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

I don't know anything about the Ptown Inn, but I'm getting married at Orleans Inn this July. We're only having 80 people, so it is a far cry from your 200 people. After seeing it, I too, can see how it would be too small. They would be able to fit all of your guests downstairs, so it's just a matter of who sits on the deck and who sits just inside the deck. I love the location for us, and the application is cake, but if you're looking for that large of a party I don't really think it's your best bet.

Ocean Edge is cool. It has everything you need for sure and is probably most convenient. Wychmere is the wedding I wish I could have, but just can't afford. It is GORGEOUS! It was my number one, and my poor FI and I were talking about taking out loans just to get married there. It's got the beach which they'll maintain so it's clean, no seaweed, etc. The grassy area over looking the harbor was where I wanted my ceremony. Perfect New England feel. I could go on about this place forever. With the number of people you're having, you'd be in the larger reception area in the downstairs which was beautiful, the smaller upstairs reception room had gross carpet and was really dark. It would be beautiful for sure, and is so versatile. I'm partial, but if you're wanting the perfect combination of beach/water, outdoor, beautiful, great food, etc, I think you're going to love it.

Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
    Visit CapeCod.Weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Ocean Edge in October in the Mansion Ballroom with cocktails on the terrace above. The terrace has great ocean views, the ballroom which has ocean facing windows does not have as good a view since it is a level lower but still ok view. The min there on a Sat in the fall is 36K but maybe a Friday would be a little less?

There is another room at Ocean edge  that is really nice called the Carriage house and it does have an ocean view but it only holds about 130 people.

Good luck!
  • Options
    erickskderickskd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love Wychmere and I feel like it doesn't get mentioned a lot on these boards!  Also have you looked Wequasett in Chatham or Captain Linnell House in Orleans?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If I recall correctly, the Mansion Ballroom at Ocean Edge has something like a $25,000 minimum on Friday or Sunday evening. It was gorgeous. LMW4253, you are going to have a beautiful wedding!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, everybody! The budget's been re-assessed, and it's looking like the total will be somewhere between $50-60k, so I'm hoping Wychmere will be an option! erickskd, I did look at Wequassett and Captain Linnell House -- Wequassett is incredible, but seems like it's very similar to Wychmere, and Wychmere is quite a bit cheaper. Wequassett would eat up my whole budget. =( Captain Linnell House is gorgeous, too, but no water view, right?
    lmw4253, your wedding sounds gorgeous! I love that rooftop terrace. How many people can it hold?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards