New Mexico
Options

Where did get your dress?

For those of you who already have your dress, where did you get it? Do you have any recommendations or not so good recommendations for other places for those who haven't purchased yet?

I am keeping my dress super secret (like anyone I know is going to be on here and see...but just in case!) but share your pic if you want to! I LOVE to see everyone else in theirs. So much better than on models! 

I am in ABQ and I got my dress at Alfred Angelo. I was surprised to find it there, but I was very budget conscious and found a sample dress on sale that I fell in love with! I also had a surprisingly good time at David's Bridal (almost got one of theirs). Bridal Elegance by Darlene was good, but didn't have anything that worked for me. And I Do I Do was a very interesting experience...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Where did get your dress?

• Options
    edited December 2011

I didn't get my dress in ABQ, but my cousin just bought hers at Bridal Elegance by Darlene. They were wonderful to her - allowing her to come in and try on the dress for everyone five different times. We looked for MOB and MOG dresses there as well and they were super nice -- very attentive and welcoming. It's a small shop, but they have a decent selection.

I'm also keeping my dress top secret. It's part of the fun of the day... :o)

• Options
    edited December 2011

Got my dress at Bridal Elegance also. It's a Maggie Sottero.  I enjoyed the experience except for the fact that there were about 15 other brides there trying on dresses at the same time.  Other than that it was a great experience and my dress should be in on July 5th! 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom is a seamstress, so she's making my gown.

I tried to look at bridesmaid dresses at David's and made the mistake of telling them I was looking for my BMs who all lived out of town. As soon as they knew I wasn't buying anything, they stopped helping me. I'm just going to let my girls wear whatever dress they want in the neutral/blush/rose pink family and not require them to buy from a bridal store.
  • Options
    SandiaLizSandiaLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SRN - I considered making my dress because I love to sew but decided that some of the detailed bead work and boning and such that I wanted was a little past my ability. That is really wonderful that your mom is going to make yours! It will mean so much to you!I hope it turns out just like you want since you are having it custom made! :-)

From my experience and what I have heard, David's is not known for their customer service but they do provide a wide variety of styles and sizes at more reasonable prices (depending on your definition of reasonable of course!). 

Bridal Elegance seems like more the traditional bridal salon and they carry some of the different designers. And they were really nice to me too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kcfryekcfrye member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I got mine at David's Bridal. I was a little wary after reading some of the online reviews of the Albuquerque store online, but we went anyway, and it was actually great. We went on a Friday morning, so it wasn't busy, and I was the only bride in the whole store for about 95% percent of my appointment. (Another girl was just starting to try on dresses when I was done.) I also had an appointment at Alfred Angelo later that same day and I wasn't impressed. The employee helping me didn't pull anything that I didn't explicitly pick out of their catalog, and the dresses that I was interested in were either only available to try on in a giant size ( like a 28) or a non-white color, like pink. They also wouldn't let my flowergirls try on dresses while I was, something that David's Bridal had no problem with.

I went back to David's Bridal the very next day (a Saturday) and they were swamped! I couldn't believe the difference from the day before. I found the same employee that helped me and bought the exact same dress I had tried on the day before. I haven't had any fittings yet, but I won't be scheduling those for Saturdays.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to all the shops around town and didn't get terrible service at any, but got excellent service at Brides by Demetrios and Bridal Elegance by Darlene. I LOVED the Maggie Sottero gowns at Bridal Elegance but they just didn't work on my frame. I'm so short and they all seemed to make me look like an oompa loompa.

David's was okay. They only brought me dresses that I came in wanting to look at (i.e. they made no suggestions), and the girl who was helping me was helping a few other girls, too. I understand they were busy, but... I just didn't feel "special." Does that make sense? Also, I didn't like the fact that their dresses didn't have boning or any sort of built-in support.

Brides by Demetrios was actually my last stop. I had a list of six or seven dresses I wanted to try, but they only had three in stock. I tried them on and meh. None were great and one was awful... like made me want to cry awful, LOL. But then the attendant found one of the ones I wanted to try in the back and when I put it on, I just knew it was the one :) If you want pics, go ahead and message me. I don't wanna post them.
  • Options
    BeazillaBeazilla member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting my dress custom made by a seller on Etsy. I visited every bridal shop in ABQ. I feel in love with a Maggie at Bridal Elegance, but it was too expensive for me. I had good service at every where but Alfred Angelo (they're too busy when the store is empty to even set up an appointment), and David's. Demetrios was alright, but they don't have many plus-sized samples.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress at David's Bridal. Like other brides, I was very hesitant about going and having a horrible experience, however, they were awesome! The girl that helped me, Lea, was hilarious and we had a great time. Another plus was that I didn't have to ask about the price because the majority of their dresses are under 1000 dollars... I just enjoyed myself and checked the price later :)  My mom, sister and I went on a Friday at 1pm and the store had a few others there but for the most part it wasn't all that busy.

Even though my experience was great, my sister went back with my mom to find her maid of honor dress and she had to wait 30min before she was helped, even though she had booked an appointment. So... I guess if you aren't a bride then you aren't much of a priority.

I would recommend David's though.... they are a wedding dress 'mill' however thier selection is great and if you don't go on the weekend you should have a good experience there... hopefully! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards