Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Catering Service Charge of 20% WTF????

I just received my catering estimate and I was going over it and at the bottom is a service charge of 20% ($656.04) for my bill.  It goes on to explain that this is NOT a gratuity and a gratuity is at our discretion.  What the heck gives with this large service charge?  They already nicked me for $250.00 for delivery, set up and pick up.  I would like to know if anyone else was hit with this charge and what you did about it.  Did you negotiate it out of the cost?  Please help!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Catering Service Charge of 20% WTF????

• Options
    I had a service charge but that was considered the tip.  I would question all additional charges that are not directly related to the cost of the food so you know exactly what you're paying for.  You might be able to negotiate that down since it's not the tip. 
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I am going to go and have a meeting this afternoon with them and since it is the off season I am going to try to lowball them on a lot of things.  They are the most reasonable and I am ready to cut them a check but within reason.  But In reading this over......this is totally unreasonable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know if my response helps, but I've been looking over some menu pricing information this week from 2 catering companies I'm interested in. Both pieces of information do note that there is an additional 20% service charge. Make sure that any info they gave you up front didn't say this. And if not, and if you've been totally blindsided, I definitely say have a serious talk with them! If you really never knew up front, this is bad business practice on them! I'm so sorry!
  • Options
    My venue charge $30 per person per hour for a minium of 8 hours for 12 workers.  That did not include tip.

Most venues I know use the service charge as tip.  Others use it for admin costs and other overhead costs.

You can try and negotiate it, the worst they can say is no.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    That's completely standard. 

• Options
    That honestly seems pretty standard. You can try to negotiate it but don't be surprised if they don't budge.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    It is very standard. Catering prices are negotiable, though I'd be surprised if they removed the service charge entirely. You're more likely to negotiate the food cost IMO but it can't hurt to try. I'm in San Diego, too. Ours was 18% and was explained in our contract: 

An eighteen percent (18%) service charge will be included in the final billing on all food, beverage and labor. The service charge covers the use of our equipment, kitchen essentials, buffet décor, energy costs, liability insurance fees, and all necessary permits and other administrative expenses. Please note that the service charge is taxable based on California State Regulation 1603(f) and is not a gratuity for the personnel
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_catering-service-charge-of-20-wtf?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:31b3d486-9577-41fb-8f34-4a818166ab29Post:40d2fc7f-b170-4b0c-933a-24a9774caaf3">Re: Catering Service Charge of 20% WTF????</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know if my response helps, but I've been looking over some menu pricing information this week from 2 catering companies I'm interested in. Both pieces of information do note that there is an additional 20% service charge. <strong>Make sure that any info they gave you up front didn't say this. And if not, and if you've been totally blindsided, I definitely say have a serious talk with them!</strong> If you really never knew up front, this is bad business practice on them! I'm so sorry!
    Posted by Laurenbiz[/QUOTE]

<div>OP said she's reviewing her estimate so I wouldn't say they are blindsiding her.</div>
  • Options
    I have been looking at a lot of caterer bids lately, and it seems like they are all different in what they call their "service charge"-- and it varies what it includes.

I was able to negotiate the fee for a few, but others said "that is the cost of doing business."  I would just make sure it is crystal clear what it covers before you sign any contracts.
  • Options
    Most caterers charge a standard 18%-22% "Service Fee".  If you are already contracted with your caterer you might be able to negotiage a lower service fee.  If you have not locked in your caterer and if you are interested in an excellent caterer that does not nickel & dime you and never charges a service fee, cake cutting & platting fee, champagne corkage and pouring fee . . . contact Kim Cummings Catering 602.493.0000.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly, our service charge was 28%.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards