Catholic Weddings

Communion, Non Catholics and Website

We're having a Nuptial Mass and I'm a little concerned about when it comes time for Communion.  I have several Christian friends who take bread and grape juice at their Christian services and I want to convey that this is different, not just bread.  I also have an Aunt and some siblings that left the church a long time ago and attend other Christian services.  They should know not to take Communion but whenever we go to Easter or Christmas masses as a whole family I see them receiving Communion.  I try not to pay attention to them during Communion, but it bothers me. 

I want to let my non Catholic friends and family know to come up and receive a blessing during Communion but not to receive the Holy Eucharist.  Is this appropriate?  How should I word it?  Should I say something about crossing your arms over your chest?  Here is what I have on the ceremony page on our website:

"If you are not a practicing Catholic we invite you to come up during the distribution of Holy Communion to receive a blessing."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Communion, Non Catholics and Website

• doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_communion-non-catholics-website?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:a017fe72-9c95-4363-bbc9-1fd41637fb62Post:969a10b7-6352-44a2-9912-2b09e9aebf10">Communion, Non Catholics and Website</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're having a Nuptial Mass and I'm a little concerned about when it comes time for Communion.  I have several Christian friends who take bread and grape juice at their Christian services and I want to convey that this is different, not just bread.  I also have an Aunt and some siblings that left the church a long time ago and attend other Christian services.  They should know not to take Communion but whenever we go to Easter or Christmas masses as a whole family I see them receiving Communion.  I try not to pay attention to them during Communion, but it bothers me.  I want to let my non Catholic friends and family know to come up and receive a blessing during Communion but not to receive the Holy Eucharist.  Is this appropriate?  How should I word it?  Should I say something about crossing your arms over your chest?  Here is what I have on the ceremony page on our website: "If you are not a practicing Catholic we invite you to come up during the distribution of Holy Communion to receive a blessing."
    Posted by Equine Osmosis[/QUOTE]

Your priest probably has something standard he says, because this is an issue at most Catholic weddings.  Ours said something to the effect of "Despite our Christian unity, this is the part of the Mass that unfortunately divides us.  Only you know what your faith is and if you are eligible to receive communion."  That wasn't exactly it, but it was well-said, whatever it was :).  Talk to your priest.  I'm sure he has something similar.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    : "If you are not a practicing Catholic we invite you to come up during the distribution of Holy Communion to receive a blessing."
    Posted by Equine Osmosis[/QUOTE]

check with your priest and request explicitly that he say something like this. Also, it wouldn't hurt to put it in the program.

I think my priest says something like, "Catholics who are in the state of grace are invited to come forward and receive Communion. All other Christians may come forward to receive a blessing; just cross your arms over your chest to signify this is what you want. You may read more about the official Catholic policy in the xyz booklet in your pews."
    Anniversary
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    IMO, it is not a lay person's place to instruct on who should or should not receive communion.  the responsibility to determine who should receive is on the priest.

you can simply tell the priest that there will be numerous non-catholics in attendance.  he can then make some sort of annoucement as he sees fit (and most likely will).

both of our famlies are Catholic, and our priest (without me saying anything) made the annoucement at our mass.
  • jazzybaccjazzybacc member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's perfectly acceptable to put something in the program and/or have the priest mention something.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards