January 2013 Weddings
Options

Politely decline friend? Help!

Hello all! I'm getting married end of January but I'm on a budget so I've been thinking of ways to cut costs. I have a friend (not close) who is a photographer, but he's only been doing it for a relatively short time so I figured I would ask him about how much he would charge. He told me he usually charges 1800 for 5 hours, himself & an assistant, post-editing & I'm assuming a DVD with the images. No prints or anything. But he said he would do it for 1200 for me. I know that a great photographer can come at about double that price, so I don't think it's necessarily a bad price & at first I thought it was a great price. But after doing some research I've found some photographers with far more experience & slightly better prices. This is probably a silly question but how do I politely let my friend know that I'm no longer interested?! I don't want to try to haggle him down because he already said it would be 600 less than what he would regularly charge but I also don't want to be rude being that I'm the one who first inquired anyway. This got pretty long haha, TIA ladies!

Re: Politely decline friend? Help!

• Options
    Thank him for the offer, then tell him that you want him at your wedding as a guest, not as a job! 
    White Knot
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    157 invitedimage
    118 accept with pleasureimage
    35 decline with regretsimage
    4 are driving me crazyimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • Options
    We had a similar situation. Just tell him that through wedding forums and talking to family, youve been advised not to use a friend that's just starting out in wedding photography, as it could potentially put stress on the friendship. You'd rather they enjoy the day with everyone else! If the new photographer is ok with it, let them know that while you can't pay them, they're welcome to tag along and take some snapshots to build their portfolio for future clients :
  • Options
    I would go with what abbiecorwin said. We actually said this to a friend or ours who is a DJ (we meant it, he's the best man and he will have other stuff to do.)
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for the help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards