August 2012 Weddings
Options

Your Relationship Timeline!

When (and how) did you meet your FI?

How long have you two crazy kids been dating?

When did he propose and how long (or short)! of an engagement did you have?

How did he ask?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My FI and I met at the start of August, 2010 through a mutual friend whom I asked for advice on my Jeep which was giving me issues and then he told me to talk to Greg and handed the phone over. We had our first date on August 8th, 2010 (and our first kiss! ;) ) which he was suppppposedddd to look at my car but the car stopped making the buzzing noise it had been making and instead we ended up going for a couple walks and just talking.  We became official on August 17th 2010. I introduced him to my daughter on August 22nd, 2010. 

Greg proposed to me up at his parent's cabin on the lake on August 17th, 2011 (our one year anniversary). He'd been waiting ALL day for the perfect moment to propose and he wanted to do it on that date since it holds such special meaning to me. So at 11:30pm after not getting a single moment alone with me he came into my room while I was sitting on the bed feeling sad that he didn't ask (We'd shopped for rings together and I knew he would ask soon), he kneeled down beside me and told me that he loved me and didn't want me to think that I didn't deserve this. Then he pulled out the ring and then said "What do ya say?"  SO i had to give him a little bit of a hard time and said "Well you didn't ask me a question but YES!!!" we kissed and he gave me the ring. :) It was really cute and I liked that it was a quiet moment just between us two :) The next day we took a long boat ride down a river and just spent some quality time together, it was awesome :) 

About the date: August 17th 1946 is the day that my grandparents got married. They met while they were stationed in Paris during WWII and they both have been gone for several years now. Greg happened to ask me to be his g/f on what would have been their 64th wedding anniversary and then proposed on their 65th. Now we're getting married on their 66th anniversary (which gave us exactly 1 year between dating, getting engaged and getting married hehe). Our theme is parisian in their honor (and because we both studied French and love the country :D ).
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Your Relationship Timeline!

• Options
    colstj1colstj1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I met my FI my sohphomore year of high school and his senior year. We had a class together and sat right next to each other. It was really nice because all semester long we really got to know each other well and became best friends before we started dating.

We have been dating for a little over six years now. He asked me out on his birthday back when I was a sophomore.

He proposed October 20th 2010 and it'll be just a few months shy of a two year engagement.

How did he ask?
    Nick (My Fiance) and I went out to a near city for a double date with my best friend and her boyfriend. We met at my best friends house to carpool. As we left her house she said she had to pick something up on her college campus for a class project before dinner. As we got onto campus my friends boyfriend suggested that we should stop and see the fountains and waterfalls at the Arboretum they have there. So, we decided to stop and check it out. As we walked into the area I heard a little waterfall and noticed pumpkins lit up around it. I even said "hey guys, look there are little lit up pumpkins!!", because I was clueless! As we got closer I noticed there were ten pumpkins each carved out to spell "Marry Me?". They were all lit up with little candles inside each one. It all seemed so surreal! I then turned around and my now Fiance got down on one knee and asked me to marry him with a beautiful ring! And of course, as a few joyful tears fell, I said YES!! <3
  • Options
    When and How we met....
             What we tell people, and what we truly believe, is that we were put together by God.  The actuality (i am embarrassed about but he's not) is that we met on line.  I had lived in my home town all my life and due to layoffs had to move north to move in with my mom.  I was searching for things to do in the local area and a free dating website popped up, so I figured it's not me, and nothing will come of it, but what the heck.... we started emailing and IMing back and forth for a couple of weeks, then talked on the phone a few times, then I drove to his town (hour away) and we met at a restaurant for lunch.  Our first date was June 4, 2010  I drove up once a week or so, and started applying for jobs in his town.  When I got work, I got an apartment here.  After he proposed, I moved in with him and his kids.

We have been dating for just about two years now

He proposed Aug 28, 2011, so our engagement us just under a year

How did he ask?
    We went on a walk, just the two of us, and I stopped on a bridge to look for fish.  I was disappointed because I couldn't see any, so he told me maybe if we threw some food they'd come to the surface.  Then he told me to reach into his pocket, he might have something.  When I reached in and felt the ring box I just froze.  before I knew it he was on his knee, right there in the middle of the bridge.  After I said yes he stood up and kissed, and I kid you not...a local church bells started ringing.  It was amazing.
  • Options
    colstj1: Aww that's SO cute how he asked!!! Sounds like he put a lot of planning into it ;)

odustudent22: Hey I TOTALLY believe in God putting people together! I didn't mention it in my post but before I introduced Greg to my daughter I was praying that God would give me a sign as to whether I should pursue something more with Greg via my daughter's reaction to him. While we were at the zoo that day when he stepped away I asked my (then 4 years old) daughter what she thought of him and she said "He seems like a really nice man. Maybe he could be my daddy?" And that was the sign I needed :)<3<3

NO shame in meeting online! I met the guy who introduced Greg & I on hot or not or face the jury (can't remember which) and went on 1 date with him before settling into the friend zone. LOL So effectively, Greg and I met online too! My cousin met her husband online as well! :) 

And AWWW your story is adorable too! So awesome :D
  • Options
    FI and I went to high school together.  He lived in a neighboring town, but transferred to our school system freshman year.  We met in first period geometry class! 

We dated on and off in high school and college, and have been "back together" since March 2009.  So 3+ or almost 11, depending on how your look at it.

He proposed on October 8, 2011, so we will have been engaged 10 months when we're married. 

How did he ask?
    A LOT of surprises... He took me on a surprise picnic in a nearby park (I thought we had dinner reservations).  We watched the sun go down, and then he pulled out a guitar from the trunk.  He had been secretly learning how to play for months!  He played/sang "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz, then got on his knee.  It was perfect. :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Aw Sarah! I have a soft spot for musicians ;) That's so sweet that he spent all that time learning to play!!!
  • Options
    My FI and I went to high school together, but he was a popluar jock with a girlfriend and I was a giant band nerd in all the AP classes. He stayed in our hometown the first year of college because he didn't get his financial aid in on time anywhere else. We became really good friends that year.

Since August 2005. So 7 years when we get married. 

When did he propose and how long (or short)! of an engagement did you have? Proposed I think June 14 2011, we went on vacation to our favorite campground and he asked me on the beach at sunset. So I think a pretty average engagment period of 1 year 2 months. We are actually getting married at the campground we got engaged at. 

How did he ask?
    Down on one knee, short and sweet, asked if I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. Real cute and sweet. Totally us.

• Options
    Aww Elyse that's a super sweet proposal :) and your story reminds me of the Taylor Swift Song: You Belong With Me :D
  • Options

We met one of the first days I transferred to his college.  We started talking and hanging out and have been together ever since.

We have been together for a little over six years.

He proposed in October.  Our engagement will be just under ten months.

How did he ask?

He spent the day having the ring made and telling me he was working like crazy.  As it got darker out, and he claimed he was in traffic, he still insisted we go to the park to unwind from a stressful day.  I really had no idea until my parents started acting a little silly (he had visited my dad at work to ask him), so I dressed up a little bit more than the sweatshirt I was in lol it was very private and perfect for me.  Then we went to a favorite restaurant to celebrate.
  • Options
    My FI and I also met online (no embarrassment here Odustudent22!).
    Since August 2011.

He proposed February 12, 2012, and our engagement will be 6 months
    How did he ask?
    We re-did our first date, he read me a poem he wrote that had the proposal written into it.
  • Options
    My FI and I met in an online chat room 13 years ago (we like to claim we invented online dating) :)  It was an AOL chat room...yup AOL had chat rooms and quickly realized we would be starting at the same university in the fall.

Since June 24, 1999

When did he propose and how long (or short)! of an engagement did you have? He proposed June 8, 2011 and we are to be married August 25, 2012, so just over 14 months

How did he ask?
    Well i ruined dinner so we opted to go out which is pretty standard for us.  We came home and I said I was going out to water the sod that we had just laid the weekend before.  We have a cat together who had been very ill, we almost lost her several times.  Well he comes yelling to the front door that something was wrong with Sophie (our cat).  I come flying into the house (like any good pet mommy would do) and I am screaming for him thinking she was dying...I go into the kitchen he isn't there I step into the dining room and he put her down and she runs right over to me...she has a ribbon tied around her neck with the ring on it and he asked me to marry him. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    colstj1: Our stories are going to sound familiar.

We met in High School. He was a Junior and I was a freshman. We had P.E. class together, and knew of each other from there.  We didn't start talking until I was a Sophomore and he was a Senior.  Our best friends were dating each other, and we would hang out with them together. We became really good friends, and decided to start dating. The joke is that I only started dating him, because he had a Pontiac Firebird. Truth is, that was the only reason I started dating him. Heck, I was a sophomore, I wasn't looking for true love.

We will be celebrating our 8 year anniversary on Saturday (June 2nd). Laughing

He proposed on August 28, 2011. We will be engaged for a little less than a year.

How did he ask?

He asked at our end of the year pool party, in front of our 6 closest friends. We were going to leave for Las Vegas a few days after this, and he had actually planned to propose in Vegas. But I'm horrible with secrets, and knew he was going to do it soon and pretty much knew he was going to do it in Vegas. So instead he decided to make it a complete surprise and propose before we left.

I was very lucky he did, because we were packing a bag to check together to save on luggage costs for the flight. He was very worried about how that bag was being handled, and who was going to carry it and how it "wouldn't fit" both of our things.  That was when I knew he was going to propose in Vegas.  He NEVER worries about our luggage when traveling.
  • Options
    Fi was actually married when we met he was my friends brother in law at the time. I was still in Highschool at the time. We really started talking in August of 2010, he started facebooking me, after I left my abusive husband. And he always knew what to say to put a smile on my face. Facebooking, turned to texting, turned to phonecalls. And the rest is history.

Since October 11, 2010

When did he propose and how long (or short)! of an engagement did you have? He proposed October 18, 2011 so just under 10 months!!

How did he ask?
    Short and simple, we had gone ring shopping and I picked one and he picked one, I didnt want to know which one I was getting so I stepped out of the store, i knew he had put down a down payment and was making payments so I knew it would happen eventually but when he did it, I was clueless!!  it was rainy and i had dinner ready, he called saying he was having problems with his pickup, and that he had to run to the bank. He finallly got home, we ate he went and got his lunchbox out of his truck, came back in with my ring, got down on one knee and asked :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Flowers
    image 160 Invited
    image 2 are ready to party with there boots on! image 0 have better things to do image158 are trying to find there boots
    RSVP Date: July 25th
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_your-relationship-timeline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:c2c23b28-b5fc-4aa5-8aaf-189e9d7b7cbcPost:eb945f52-5962-4505-b8a5-0a9cf50b187b">Re: Your Relationship Timeline!</a>:
    [QUOTE]colstj1: Our stories are going to sound familiar. When (and how) did you meet your FI? We met in High School. He was a Junior and I was a freshman. We had P.E. class together, and knew of each other from there.  We didn't start talking until I was a Sophomore and he was a Senior.  Our best friends were dating each other, and we would hang out with them together. We became really good friends, and decided to start dating. The joke is that I only started dating him, because he had a Pontiac Firebird. Truth is, that was the only reason I started dating him. Heck, I was a sophomore, I wasn't looking for true love. How long have you two crazy kids been dating? We will be celebrating our 8 year anniversary on Saturday (June 2nd). When did he propose and how long (or short)! of an engagement did you have? <strong>He proposed on August 28, 2011</strong>. We will be engaged .....

My baby proposed on Aug 28th too, it was a wonderful day
  • Options
    We were introduced by a mutual friend who is also one of my BMs June 3, 2006

We started dating June 11, 2006 it will be 6 years 2 months when we get married.

When did he propose and how long (or short)! of an engagement did you have? He proposed on May 6, 2011 and our engagement will be 1 yr 3 months

How did he ask?
    I knew that it was coming soon (I'd been talkin about it and working on him for about 2 years already). We were signing on a house on May 13, 2011, and I told him when we started looking that I needed a ring before we signed the papers, because 1. I didn't want to sign on a house when I had no real formal commitment from him, and 2. It seemed like a really great way to get it to happen already! But, I had no idea it was coming that Friday. We had scheduled massages and a day off for that day long before, and after the massages we went for a walk in our favorite woods near home and then to our favorite restaurant for dinner. Near the restaurant is a small look out tower, and Fi asked if I wanted to climb up, so we did. We were at the top of the tower for like 30 minutes when I finally said I was hungry and I started walking down the steps. Fi called my name, and when I turned around he was on one Knee. He asked, I tripped on the steps, walked over to him and hugged him while he was still on one knee. Except, he had the ring in his hand still and was about to drop it! So he finally got the ring on my finger and I hypervenilated. Then, after, he surprised me with a bon fire with all of our friends and family. It was the best day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image230 Invited
    image180Accepted
    image50 Declined
    image0 Undecided
    RSVP Date: July 25, 2012
  • Options
    We met at Boy Scout Camp. We were both camp counselors, he ran Field Sports and I ran Handicrafts.

Our dating timeline is in my sig but about 4 1/2 years.

He proposed on our four year anniversary and our engagement will be exactly a year long (getting married on our fifth!)

How did he ask? 
    We were at camp (he was working again last summer and I was not) and it was our anniversary so we made sure to spend it together. Well, we had recently moved and money was tight and he was busy- and living in the middle of the woods- so I made sure to tell him I didn't need a gift. I surprised him by wrapping up a little something I'd picked up for the new place. I told him, "See, you didn't have to get me anything, we can both use this!" Then he told me he had until midnight, lol. It was about ten at night at that point so I thought nothing of it.  Later, as we're walking to the car after hanging out with some friends at the campsite, he stops and pulls me close. He starts telling me how four years ago we'd fallen in love and how he loved me and wanted to spend the rest of his life with me...and then he got down on one knee!! I was absolutely floored and had no idea it was coming- he'd contacted my dad before he asked and had gotten his grandmother's ring. Perfect Smile
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We oddly enough had a double first meeting... meaning that I do not remember meeting him the first time we really met... It was December 10, 2008 and I was out with a friend on a Christmas Pub crawl... we veered away from where the crawl was going and went to a dueling piano bar... when I drink I get hiccups pretty often... while trying to control this situation, my FI helped me cure them with his fool proof "Drink, now count" method. He says I thanked him and left shortly after this. He blames this on "having funny hair and the time, and wearing an ugly looking sweater" or I would have stayed. We met again on ANOTHER pub crawl on March 14, 2009 four months later. Turns out he was the roommate of a guy my friends all knew (but despised!). My FI (Chris) came up to me and asked if I remembered him, I thought it was a line, and laughed. He told me the story of curing my hiccups, and it clicked. My sister who was visiting my in North Carolina to do this pub crawl came up and asked us if we had exchanged numbers yet, when we said not yet, she pulled out a sharpie and wrote my name and number on Chris' arm. We later actually exchanged numbers to make sure the sharpie wouldn't wash off in the downpour outside. Very strange story... we know...

As of right now a little over 3 years.

Chris popped the question on July 28, 2011, so our engagement will be just over a year. Tying the knot on August 18th! 

How did he ask?
    Chris played it cool on a hot July evening when he came home from work and said he needed to go to the CVS minute clinic. If you know Chris, you also know he could be dying a slow death and deny the need to see a doctor... Anyway, he said he needed allergy medicine, and asked if I wanted to go to "Epi Pizza"afterward. I threw a monkey wrench in that plan when I said I had pizza for lunch. I suggested burgers, and he suggested not going to the doctor for allergy medicine. Sounding more like himself already, he didn't know where he wanted to eat. After about 50 spins on my UrbanSpoon app, Chris made a decision and suggested Selwyn Pub... the place where we had our first official date. We ordered our dinner, which ended up being the exact same thing we ordered the first time and on the walk back to the car along a cute little tree lined street Chris (first checked to make sure that no one was around) proposed. 
    196 Invited image
    104 Ready to Rock! image
    92 Party Poopers image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    These are too cute. Great post! colstj1 - that proposal is too cool. Like something out of a romantic comedy :)

In May 2007, and it was at work! He was still in college and interning, and I had just graduated and was a technician at a veterinary clinic. It was his pooper scooper skills that really won me over (his looks, confidence, intelligence, and compassion for sick animals were added bonuses Tongue Out)

We made it "official" in Summer 2007, so almost 5 years.

December 23, 2010. It will be almost 20 months by the time we get married on August 4.

How did he ask?
    We go ice skating at Rockefeller Center every Christmas. It was where we first exchanged "I Love You's" so the tradition has some sentimental meaning to us. We stopped under the tree and he started going in to all these reasons why he loved me and how happy I made him. I thought he was just being sweet because I waited an hour and a half in line in the freezing cold. And then he got down on one knee *with ice skates on!* and I basically had an out-of-body experience as he offered me the most gorgeous ring. Everyone in and around the rink applauded. I was totally shocked. I knew we were going to get engaged but I was positive that it was going to happen on our Summer 2011 vacation. Blown away.

I love him :)
  • Options
    I met FI in high school, the night of the Valentine's Day dance. My friends were picking me up from the school (because they didn't go to dances) and FI was in the car with a mutual friend. He was dating someone else at the time so we were friends for a while first then when we were both single it just made sense to try dating.

How long have you two crazy kids been dating? 11 years

He proposed May 14, 2010, the day before I graduated with my Masters Degree. We've been engaged for 2 years because we wanted to save money to pay for our wedding.

How did he ask?
    He proposed after we got the keys for our new grown up apartment. We had been living together already, but it was a college student apartment (and kind of a dump) in a not so good part of town. This was our first nice apartment and it was like a new beginning in our relationship.
  • Options
    How did we meet? A friend set us up on a blind date. That friend has gotten ordained and will be officiating at our ceremony. How long have we been together? Friday is our 1 year anniversary. When did he propose? December 17, 2011. Our engagement will be about 8 months. How did he propose? We took the dog for a walk to one of our favorite parks overlooking Seattle and he popped the question.

August 2012 - Married! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    When and how we met:
    My FI and I met through a mutual friend about 18 yrs ago, we were both married at the time, but hung out in the same circle of friends.  He went on to divorce as well as I did, but remained friends throughout the years.

How long have we been together?
    We have been together since November 5, 2010 so just about a year and a half.

When and how did he propose?
    Well he first asked on Jan 1, 2011 just about 2 months into our relationship, and I said that I would think about it... At the time I didn't want to rush into anything since I had just come out of an abusive 18 year marriage and didn't know if I was ready for such a commitment.  As time wore on he convinced me to look at rings so that he could ask again but this time properly.  We did finanally decide on a ring and be bought it.  By this time I was excited about knowing that a proper proposal was coming.  So my ring sat in his dresser drawer for months and with each passing day I grew more and more excited.  My birthday came and went (cuz I was sure that I would get it then... wrong).  Then came mother's day May 8, 2011.  We were just getting ready for bed (about 3 am) and he jumped up out of bed and was sitting on the edge of the bed, and something seemed like it was bothering him.  So of course I asked him.  Well he stood up, with out saying too much and put his pants back on and told me that he needed his pants on for this.  He walked over to the dresser pulled out my ring and got down on one knee and said, "I'm sorry this isn't the way that I wanted to do this, and I'm sorry I made you wait so long but I won't ever make you wait again."  Will you PLEASE be my wife?  Of course, since I was tired and wasn't expecting it I was in completely surprised (even though I knew he was going to ask again eventually) and I of course said YES!!!

image 141 Are ready to party!
    weddingcountdown.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_your-relationship-timeline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:c2c23b28-b5fc-4aa5-8aaf-189e9d7b7cbcPost:cc36dc05-4dee-470a-a70c-107e4d2e54f7">Re: Your Relationship Timeline!</a>:
    [QUOTE]When (and how) did you meet your FI? My FI and I met in an online chat room 13 years ago (we like to claim we invented online dating) :)  It was an AOL chat room...yup AOL had chat rooms and quickly realized we would be starting at the same university in the fall. How long have you two crazy kids been dating?  Since June 24, 1999 When did he propose and how long (or short)! of an engagement did you have? He proposed June 8, 2011 and we are to be married August 25, 2012, so just over 14 months How did he ask? Well i ruined dinner so we opted to go out which is pretty standard for us.  We came home and I said I was going out to water the sod that we had just laid the weekend before.  We have a cat together who had been very ill, we almost lost her several times.  Well he comes yelling to the front door that something was wrong with Sophie (our cat).  I come flying into the house (like any good pet mommy would do) and I am screaming for him thinking she was dying...I go into the kitchen he isn't there I step into the dining room and he put her down and she runs right over to me...she has a ribbon tied around her neck with the ring on it and he asked me to marry him. 
    Posted by smilesavy[/QUOTE]

Cute!  But I probably would have had a heart attack first! lol
  • Options
    We started culinary school the same time(him for culinary arts and me for baking and pastry arts). had a few classes together but never noticed or talked to each other. Then during the break between 2nd and 3rd quarter a classmate invited me (and every other classmate he knew on fb) to go drinking on st paddys day. I had a small crush on him (based on looks) and thought he'd make a good one night stand. After a few (or more :P) green beers I got my one night and found out his personality wasnt anything like I thought it would be. I found his number on fb and sent him a text. After 3 months of casual dating we became exclusive. 3 months after that I accidently got pregnant so we got even more serious (We both agree out son is what actually kept us together for the first bit as we are were heading down 2 different paths in life) 

How long have you two crazy kids been dating? Well we say st paddys day is when we started dating (easier to remember and less embarrasing/complicated to tell people) so 4 years and 2.5 months

He proposed on our 3rd year anniversary. so we have a 17.5 month engagment.

How did he ask?
    I was bugging him for a couple months about getting married, So I guess he started thinking of ways he could ask. But one day we were texting and he took something I said seriously (I was joking but you cant tell through text) and called me, he told me he was going to ask on our anniversary and all I had to do was wait another week for it. So a week goes by (very awkwardly not knowing if we we engaged or not) and I wake up in the middle of the night and find his leather cuff was on my wrist so I took it off. I got up a couple hours later to go to work and thought nothing of the cuff (I work 3am-8am). When I got home I asked him what was with the cuff and he said "well I wanted to make your dreams come true but I didnt have a ring" then grabbed a pair of boxers and went to take a shower. when he came back out he asked "well do ya?" my response "if your serious then yes". Later on during the day he sent me a text from work and asked "so do you?" i replied "if your for real then yes" him "I am" me "ok then yes"

not very romantic but then again neither is he... but it got the job done. 

Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • Options
    How did we meet? Tom and I met through a mutual friend at a local watering hole while watching the triple overtime penguins Stanley cup playoff game. I still don't know much about hockey, but I remember his smile was intoxicating! How long have you been together? We started dating november 24th that fall, my senior year of college. So I'll put it at 4 years last thanksgiving. When did he propose? He proposed August 24, 2009, and we will marry on that same date this year! I'm happy we've taken our time after a somewhat whirlwind courtship. How did he propose? From what I understand there was an elaborate plan to walk around our neighborhood and then pop the question at the top of the cathedral of learning. But I had been in dance rehearsal all day and just traveled 3 hours to see him, so a walk wasn't happening. Had I known what he was trying to do, I would have roughed it out! So around 11 pm, after much protestation, my beautiful and secretly nerdy boyfriend grabbed the most sentimental thing he had: a little yoda figurine he received as a child, got down on one knee, and asked me to promise him a life full of long walks, even when it's raining and we're tired. Yoda held the most beautiful ring. And of course the giant nerd hidden inside of me screamed yes!
    What a beautiful mess this is...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards