Getting in Shape

need breakfast/snack ideas!

hi ladies! looking for recs on breakfast/snacks. i am very active, and i eat breakfast at 6:45am every morning- it's been 2 eggs on a toasted thin bun (the 100 cal things that are new). what else do you eat for breakfast? looking to branch out.

also looking for advice on snacks. i work 12 hour days, but i do have a fridge, microwave, and toaster oven. not sure what i can eat between meals to hold me over!

thanks!
image122 Made the list!
image 89 Are ready to party!
image 11 Will be missing out!
image 22 Can't find the mailbox!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: need breakfast/snack ideas!

• I always eat egg whites and something for breakfast because that keeps me fuller longer, so I am not much help there! Have you tried Greek yogurt? I am a huge fan of Fage yogurt with the fruit on the side. Strawberry is the best!  It is a good snack or it would be good for breakfast! Since you have a toster oven, could you have an english muffin with melted cheese as a snack? I bet that would keep you full. Have you tried the laughing cow cheeses? They are delish!
  • Given that we live in a society where we have so many choices to choose from, I'm sure there must be something that you can find to eat.

One of the things I would recommend is to go to the supermarket and see what they have and what you would personally eat. I eat egg whites with veggies and quinoa almost every morning for the last 8 yrs. I never get sick of it. If you work 12 hrs a day, I would assume you would want something easy to make. Sandwiches are always easy. 

It's difficult to give advice on snacks because everyone has a different taste. Eat something that you would enjoy otherwise you would get sick of it eventually. 

Eat more fibrous veggies as they tend to be more filling. Maybe salad with chicken and light caesar or anything that is not oil based (they usually have less calories). 
  • steam pack veggies, in variety of flavors

Laughing Cow (light) on Wasa crackers (loaded with fiber and whole grain yumminess)

hummus and veggies

instant oatmeal

fiber one chocolate bars!!! only 90 calories and 5 grams of fiber and oh so chocolatey!!!
  • I'm a huge fan of cottage cheese, a little bit of splenda and some fruit (strawberries, mashed up banana, blueberries, or raspberries) sliced up in there. It tastes great, its a little sweet, and keeps me full until the next meal
  • My go-to breakfast right now is oats, either overnight or done up in the morning.  For my overnight oats I mix 1/3 C of oats w/ 1/3 C of skim milk and 1/3 C of 1% plain yogurt (I like the added bit of fat from the 1% yogurt) with about 1/3-2/3 scoop of chocolate protein powder.  I dollop on a tbsp of natural PB and the leave it in the fridge overnight.  In the morning I give it a stir, microwave for 45s, stir and microwave for another 45 s.  Then I add in a sliced banana.  It's around 400-450 calories (depending on how much of everything you use) but is full of protein, fibre and good fats.

For snacks I usually try to combine a fruit or veggie with some sort of protein.  Likely combinations to be seen in my lunch bag include:
    apple w/ PB
    apple w/ almond butter
    apple w/ almonds
    yogurt w/ fruit
    apple and cheese string (I eat a lot of apples)
    carrots w/ hummus
    bell pepper w/ hummus
    snap peas w/ nuts
    etc etc.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Special K has these chocolate-pretzel snack bars. They're 90 or 110 calories (I can't remember but I think its 90) and I swear they're so good I could eat a whole box.
    Bio!
    Updated 8/9!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards