Massachusetts-Boston

Open or cash bar?

Just curious on what local brides are doing?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Open or cash bar?

• We did open bar for 4 out of 5 hrs.
  • we invited less people to be able to have open bar every hour but the last
  • We are doing an open bar but 3 of my other friends aren't, in fact 1 says her venue won't let her bc of the MA drinking laws.....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Open bar all night.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Open bar all night, but it's open beer and wine only.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm going to be the rude girl and tell you we're doing a cash bar with a champagne toast. My guests really don't expect an open bar, they think that sort of thing is unnecessary, especially at our brunch wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are doing a cash bar too. You are not alone...I don't even think we are going to do a champagne toast...
  • I have never been to a cash only wedding. Honestly, I would be SHOCKED if I went to a wedding and the cocktail hour wasn't open. 

My wedding was open fully and I'd say 75% of the weddings that I've been to were as well. The others were cocktail hour open, then probably an hour more of open then cash with wine on the tables. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We purchased beverage jars 3 types ~ sangria, watermelon stoli drink and pineapple stoli. These were for cocktail hour but they lasted quite a bit longer than that. The rest was cash bar if they wanted someelse and the venue gave us complimentary champagne toast. I was nervours doing it this way, but the venue had a very nice presentation and the drinks were not weak so they lasted. People are still raving about what a good time they had. It was at SVCC in Sharon, MA
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_open-or-cash-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:c88627c5-d611-4d3f-9a81-9b0c16d80fbaPost:aeb497b6-e212-41d1-9990-152082a79ea4">Re: Open or cash bar?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have never been to a cash only wedding. Honestly, I would be SHOCKED if I went to a wedding and the cocktail hour wasn't open.  My wedding was open fully and I'd say 75% of the weddings that I've been to were as well. The others were cocktail hour open, then probably an hour more of open then cash with wine on the tables. 
    Posted by imimahoney[/QUOTE]

See, I feel the same way as you when the bar is open - shocked! I always bring money and expect to pay for my own drinks. I think it just depends on the social circles you run with, you know?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Open except for the last half hour when the whole bar is closed (thanks to MA laws).
  • We are open for the first hour (cocktail hour), with a champagne toast and wine pour during dinner.  I agree that it depends on the social circles you run in.  My friends and family are very used to entirely cash bars, so having one hour is a nice treat.  When you're young and paying for the whole thing yourselves, open bar all night just isn't always in the cards.
    White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker 168 invited image | 61 are coming image | 10 can't make it image | 97 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: March 9th
  • Yes, unfortunately, we will be paying for a good deal of the wedding ourselves and an open bar is just not in the budget. I don't think it's rude, we just can't afford it nor will our guests expect it.
  • Yup we paid ourselves and what they wanted for open bar for one hour we couldnt swing. Our social circles we are suprised if it is open. cash bar is more of then normal. But we did beverage jars as we were trying to offer something.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had full open bar for cocktail hour and the entire reception until we had to shut it down (about 1/2 hour before we were done).

I'm sort of surprised at the amount who are having cash bars - you're guests, from an etiquette standpoint, should never have to open their wallets at an event you are hosting.  I certainly hope you are not expecting them to pay for soft drinks as well.  When hosting a party at your house, do you expect your guests to pay for their drinks? It's really no different.

There is nothing wrong with having a limited open bar (beer, wine only; signature drink). 

And depending on the venue, alcohol is not as expensive as you think.  We were able to bring in our own liquor and total - including beer, wine, champagne and liquor, we only spent about $1700.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_open-or-cash-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:c88627c5-d611-4d3f-9a81-9b0c16d80fbaPost:066d8b00-efc5-447d-8a58-f2794e4e9c2c">Re: Open or cash bar?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had full open bar for cocktail hour and the entire reception until we had to shut it down (about 1/2 hour before we were done). I'm sort of surprised at the amount who are having cash bars - you're guests, from an etiquette standpoint, should never have to open their wallets at an event you are hosting.  I certainly hope you are not expecting them to pay for soft drinks as well.  When hosting a party at your house, do you expect your guests to pay for their drinks? It's really no different. There is nothing wrong with having a limited open bar (beer, wine only; signature drink).  And depending on the venue, alcohol is not as expensive as you think.  We were able to bring in our own liquor and total - including beer, wine, champagne and liquor, we only spent about $1700.
    Posted by kjhowd[/QUOTE]

I will say that in our venue, which will be open bar, I was told it would be between $5,000-$8,000 for the open bar for 5 hrs depending how heavy drinkers we have. We are not allowed to bring our own alcohol. If it wasn't for getting as much help as we are getting we'd never be able to afford the open bar. Also I've been to 8 weddings and only 1 was open bar so I guess I wouldn't think twice about opening up my wallet.

I do agree that sodas should always be free at a wedding. The last wedding I went to had wine on the tables, which was great, but charged $3.50 for sodas and $4 for bottled water. Thought that was weird.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_open-or-cash-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:c88627c5-d611-4d3f-9a81-9b0c16d80fbaPost:0e56aa34-6717-4c4d-a24e-8dc41f358cdf">Re: Open or cash bar?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Open or cash bar? : I will say that in our venue, which will be open bar, I was told it would be between $5,000-$8,000 for the open bar for 5 hrs depending how heavy drinkers we have. We are not allowed to bring our own alcohol. If it wasn't for getting as much help as we are getting we'd never be able to afford the open bar. Also I've been to 8 weddings and only 1 was open bar so I guess I wouldn't think twice about opening up my wallet. I do agree that sodas should always be free at a wedding. The last wedding I went to had wine on the tables, which was great, but charged $3.50 for sodas and $4 for bottled water. Thought that was weird.
    Posted by samantha24p[/QUOTE]

WOW!  That's super expensive.  I know friends who also couldn't bring in their own booze and their open bar only cost between $1200-$2000.  I guess it all depends on the area you're in and the venue you're using.

I still firmly believe it's better to have limited fully hosted bar rather than any cash bar. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_open-or-cash-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:c88627c5-d611-4d3f-9a81-9b0c16d80fbaPost:bdd37984-d751-4d61-bb72-4eff10803841">Re: Open or cash bar?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Open or cash bar? : WOW!  That's super expensive.  I know friends who also couldn't bring in their own booze and their open bar only cost between $1200-$2000.  I guess it all depends on the area you're in and the venue you're using. I still firmly believe it's better to have limited fully hosted bar rather than any cash bar. 
    Posted by kjhowd[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was kind of shocked when they quoted me that price
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We will have an open bar the entire night. I'll be totally honest---I have never once been to a wedding where there was a cash bar. That would reallllly not go over well with our invite list.
  • I should also mention that we were specifically interested in venues where we could bring in our own liquer. We didn't only look at places where this was the policy, but it's a big bonus that Cyclorama allows this since it will cut down on the cost of an open bar.
  • I have never been to a wedding that wasn't open bar for at least most of the night (one or two closed an hour or so before the end of the night, the rest were full open until the last half hour. If I couldn't afford open bar at a certain venue, I would consider that I couldn't afford that venue period. Our guest list would have been really put out if it was cash bar.
  • We don't drink, and a lot of our friends and family don't drink, so a cash bar makes the most sense. I've been to one wedding where there was an open bar, but all the rest have been cash. I just always assume I'm going to be buying my own drinks. Like PP have said, I think it depends on the social circles you run with. Alcohol just isn't that important in mine, but I have coworkers and acquaintances who would be shocked if there wasn't an open bar.
  • Same as the post from above I don't drink at all, he has maybe a beer a month...None of his family drinks and my family doesn't really either. No point in spending 1,000.00 an hour because despite the fact that our venue is cheap, having an open bar from them is insane when so few people will use it. And not to add fuel to the fire, but I think it absurd to say that if you cannot afford an open bar from the venue the venue is most likely too expensive for you...Sorry, I am not interested in giving up my dream venue which is in our price range so my guests can get free booze. I can safely say that if my guests will be disappointed that it is a cash bar only, I would not want them there. The day is about seeing my fiance and I exchange vows and getting to celebrate it with those we love and care about, not about beer and wine and how much it is going to cost. My guests will be fed well and we will ensure that they have a good time...Even if they have to pay 5.00 for a beer.
  • We are going back and forth on this... I think at the most we would do an open bar for cocktail hour.  Thinking about doing open beer, wine & speciality drink ONLY for cocktail hour... or maybe no open bar at all.  

We will have a champagne toast & wine served during dinner.  I figured that alone will be 3-4 drinks per person... don't feel that any more is 100% necessary.

For me, I want everyone to have fun (obviously!) but don't really feel like dealing with a bunch of people who are completely trashed on my wedding day either... I think when there is an open bar people tend to drink more.  That's what I've been pondering along with the $$$.
  • Open Bar, Hands Down -- a little less cost effective for us, but a lot more fun for our guests!
  • Open Bar .-- NO QUESTION ABOUT IT!  No disrespect to anyone (on this board or on my checklist) but my guests are drinkers and I couldn't bear the idea of having them pay for their drinks at the wedding I invited them to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards