Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

All Incusive honeymoon RECS

We've been looking at Sandals resorts for our honeymoon, but it just isn't in our budget (4 nights comes close to $3,000 in total).  Our travel agency also recommended Valentin Imperial in Riviera Maya, Mexico.  Total cost for 4 nights is closer to $2000.  I'm not sure about it being in Mexico, and with sandals you know the chain has a great reputation.  Has anyone been to this resort, or to an all-inclusive in the area, or does anyone have any other less expensive all-inclusive recommendations?

Thanks!

Re: All Incusive honeymoon RECS

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been to an all-inclusive in Riviera Maya Mexico - the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum. The resort was beautiful and the food was good, but the beach was so-so. I'm a beach person and prefer that over the pool areas, so I was a little disappointed b/c the beach was more rocky than sandy. I was there in mid-September of '05 and it was $1180 for 7 nights.

For our honeymoon we are going to the Gran Bahia in Montego Bay, Jamaica for 6 nights and our total was $2194. The downfall for this is that we are flying out of Columbus - though not a huge problem for us b/c my parents live there, so they can take us and pick us up. Cincinnati is about $400 more to fly out of. 

The time of the year also plays a huge part of the cost. We were told that for Jamaica we will be right in the middle of two peak seasons...so it's a little less expensive. The hotel was built in '07 so it's fairly new compared to other resorts.

I can give you the name & number of my travel agent if you'd like?? She did a great job finding us exactly what we wanted w/in our budget!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    mindiosumindiosu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went to Excellence Playa Mujeres, just north of Cancun.  It was amazing.  From the food to the rooms, to the activites.  We paid around $2500 for 2, including airfare, for 7 nights.  We used Jennifer with VIP Travel to book. 
    I would recommend contacting her and giving her your wish list and budget. 
    Also check out the Palace Resorts. Great value and some very beautiful resorts.
    I have actually heard Sandals are quite dated and not quite as luxurious as many of the newer AI brands- Excellence, Palace, Secrets.
    GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    mindiosu, do you have an email address for Jennifer at VIP Travel?
  • Options
    kelklumpkelklump member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the palace resorts. When you go to one, they allow you to visit the other resorts for day trips (Cozumel, Tulum, Puerto Adventuras, etc.) They truly take care of any guest and even more so for honeymooners. I would check it out!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just to throw this out there...have you ever thought of booking it on your own and not using a travel agent to cut some costs? Apple Vacations has great deals and so does Expedia. Just a thought... you can't go wrong with booking an all inclusive.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    jiml- actually you don't incur more costs when booking through a travel agent. When I booked our HM, I couldn't find a better deal on my own than what my TA found. The reason being that TA's will generally book you with a group (even though you don't realize it) that is going to the same place and that is how they can get cheaper rates.

It's actually a benefit to book w/ a TA...and a lot less stressful!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Has anyone been on a honeymoon or vacation in Costa Rica?  Any recommendations for all-inclusive or non-all-inclusive resorts?  My fiance and I are thinking about Costa Rica for our honeymoon.  Thanks in advance!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    mindiosumindiosu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    econner is right.  No additioanl costs in using a TA.  It was much less through Jennifer at VIP than anythign I could find on my own. 
    Actually, when you book through Apple, you are basically using a TA- it's just a bit more generic in the fact that you don't choose your TA you are just assigned one.  I had a not so great experience booking my vaca 2 years ago through Apple.  they promised TONS of stuff that they could not follow through on.

Here's Jennifers contact info:
    jennifervipvacationsinc@verizon.net
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know you said you checked Sandals and it seemed like a lot.  I don't know if you are dead set on a certain location...  We are staying at Sandals Regency for 9 Nights and it's about $3100.  We are going the last week of August.. I don't know if that made a difference on our price or not.  I'm not sure what resort you were looking at with them or on what island, but check all your options there.  Just a thought and GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    **abby.eling**  did you use a travel agent, and if so which one?  We were quoted around 3000 for antigua, 5 nights in early may.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just going to jump in and say that I must be an anomoly, because H and I were able to get a MUCH better deal on our honeymoon by not using a travel agent.

::shrug::

I think it really depends on where you're going, and who you're working with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    **wenz2020**  We did not book it through a travel agent.  I just did it myself online through their website.  I just kept watching for when they had one of their 65% off sales (which seems to be all the time) and booked it then.  I do know that FI and I looked at Antiqua and for the same time and comparable room it ended up being about $1000 more.  In my research I found that most of the Jamaica resorts ended up being priced the best.

We are going to St. Lucia like I said before... Halcyon seemed to be the best priced resort there, but we ended up going with Regency because FI liked the "look" of the rooms better.  Just to give you an idea we are staying in the Honeymoon Grande Luxe Oceanview Walkout Room for 9 nights and our total is a little under $3100. 

Hope that helps!  If you have more questions or want any more info don't hesitate to email me at my knottie name @ gmail
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about looking at cruises? There are some amazing deals going on now and I like the fact that they have more flexability if there is bad weather. When I was at an all-inclusive in the Dominican Repulic it rained most of the days we were there and there was not much to do inside the resort. Something to think about!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards