Flowers

Pink and Green summer plants

FI and his family are really into gardening and so we have been talking about trying to grow our own wedding flowers. Obviously, we would want to do a trial run this summer to make sure they grow alright in his garden, they bloom at the right time, we get enough, etc. before the real deal next summer. Our colors are green and pink (a very light pink, like blush) and the wedding is happening at the end of June in Minnesota. Does anyone have any suggestions for good flowers and plants to try growing for bouquets and bouts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pink and Green summer plants

• As someone who has had a large garden for over 30 years, I'd probaby rethink this. Your wedding flowers will be at the mercy of Mother Nature.

As an example, I have 6 lilac bushes and a large plot of lilly of the valley. These flowers religiously bloomed every year around Mother's Day.........until the weather changed over the past few years. Last March we had temps in the 80's for over a week. Then freezing temps again. This destroyed the apple and cherry crops in Michigan, and my reliable lilly of the valley, tulips and lilacs bloomed 2 weeks early. It would have sucked if I'd been depending on them. Peonies, which are a lovely light pink option, are similar. They bloom based on the weather the prior winter and spring.

Most flowers have a blooming window of 2-4 weeks depending on the weather. People like us in the northern midwest climates know that, and it can be frustrating if you are planning on it.

However, if you really want to go down this route, I'd recommend pale pink roses, a tea rose or long stemmed variety, not climbing roses (which only bloom for a brief period). There is a flower called "pinks", similar to carnations, which come in various shades of pink, but to be honest, I don't know their blooming season. Carnations are another option, but again, I'm not familiar with their season. You could get some lillies, but they usually bloom in July..........but if the weather is fabulous, might bloom the end of June.

Even after watching the flowers this summer, if I were you, I'd make sure to have a back up plan closer to your wedding. If you have a Costco membership, they have great bulk flower prices.

Costco has green spider mums, 80 stems for $89.99 here:
    http://www.costco.com/Chrysanthemum-(Spider-Mums)-Green.product.11377918.html

Also, mixed greens here:
    http://www.costco.com/Fillers-%2526-Greens.product.11377921.html

Sam's Club has an even larger selection, but you can't search by color.

Good luck.
  • ChloeaghChloeagh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    We do plan to go to Costco if it doesn't work out, but it will be immensely cheaper to try to grow them (like $5 instead of $100). So why not at least try? We know plenty of people who have grown their own wedding flowers. And that's why we're doing the trial run, so there's at least a chance of it working out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards