Nevada-Las Vegas

Invites

Hi ladies , I am getting married in May of 2011. I would like to know when should I start inviting poeple in order for  them to start saving to come to vegas for the wedding  , should I go threw a travel agent to book flights and hotel so that everyone can stay close .

Re: Invites

• RachNRichRachNRich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Invitations should not go out and earlier than 12 weeks before your wedding---so, three months.

Your best bet to give everyone a heads up about when and where the wedding will be, would be to send Save The Dates (STD's)---and send them when you are about 9-10 months from your date. If you send stuff any sooner, you run the risk of people misplacing them, and forgetting all about it.

Keep in mind, anyone you send a STD to, must also get an invitation. You still have a year until your wedding---so, you'd want to make sure that anyone you plan to invite now (be it verbally, or through an STD), you'd also want to invite 9 months from now. A lot can happen in the span of a year.

Allow your guests to book their own flights and hotels. Feel free to put together a wedding website that lists recommendations for hotels on the strip, amongst other things--but ultimately, leave that decision up to your guests.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • TwinsRibTwinsRib member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was wondering this too... Thanks for asking Shaq and thanks for answering Rach :-)
  • cinegradcinegrad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You'll find Rach knows all there is to know about Vegas weddings...she's a livesaver on these boards.  I'd just add one thing on to a particular thing she said...a LOT can happen in a year.  I don't know your circumstances or your budget, but I'd be very cautious about who you verbally start inviting early on (and maybe even the composition of your bridal party).  I went hog wild a little early and it's really hard to retract invitations to attend or participate once the deed is done.
  • maybride2011maybride2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I've even found that when people ask about the wedding and I tell them it's in Vegas May of 2011, they then assume that they are invited.  I try to be really cautious about who I even give details about the wedding to, to try to avoid hurt feelings.  It's really hard since I'm excited about it and want to share, but it seems like people just start coming out of the woodwork.

• amandag33amandag33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybride2011 I've found that to be the case too! If i have mentioned I'm having a las vegas wedding, people will automatically start planning on coming haha. Its definitely not like other destination weddings!
  • edited December 2011
    Once we picked our wedding date back in August of 2009, I sent out to close family members announcing our date and a link to our planning website (which included where the wedding was and accomodations).

Around October 2009, we sent out Save the Dates. Rach is right. Whoever gets a save a date must get an invitation. Some of our guests I was on the fence about never ended up getting a save the date bc I coudn't commit.

I sent invitations out at the end of February. Our RSVP date is May 1. Our wedding is May 22, 2010.

Bottom line: tell ppl as soon as you know when/where, but be careful who you tell!
  • edited December 2011
    Our wedding is may 15 2010 and we sent our save the dates in november 2009 which was 6 months prior. We then sent out the invitations in march and requested an rsvp date of april 15..which is one month before the big day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • keana123keana123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:349827c5-54d4-42a9-a237-6af9ab49135bPost:cce71dde-9273-4bda-b5a7-81a86f3db1ea">Re: Invites</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've even found that when people ask about the wedding and I tell them it's in Vegas May of 2011, they then assume that they are invited.  I try to be really cautious about who I even give details about the wedding to, to try to avoid hurt feelings.  It's really hard since I'm excited about it and want to share, but it seems like people just start coming out of the woodwork.
    Posted by maybride2011[/QUOTE]

Same here. I am a big Facebook user and I never even talk about getting married there because I know I'm not inviting everyone.
  • edited December 2011
    keana- I wish I had enough discipline not to talk about my wedding on fb. unfortunetly, I talk about it all the time and hope the ppl not invited aren't mad!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards