Florida-Central Florida
Options

Inexperienced officiant?

Neither FI or I are very religious. I grew up Baptist and he is Buddhist, but neither of us practice. One of my good friend's dad is a lawyer and I asked if he was a notary or JOP that would be qualified to marry us. He offered to get his notary license so he could do it. He's funny and obviously used to speaking in front of groups and I've known him about 10 years, although FI has never met him. We will probably have a very basic ceremony, no unity candles, no sand ceremony, maybe one poetry reading. Should I tell him yes (and offer to pay for it which is about $75, which he'd probably refuse) or just go with someone we've never met but has more experience?

Re: Inexperienced officiant?

• Options
    sarah42ndsarah42nd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well. If he is great with people and it would be special to you . I would say choose him .  You can find  vows and what not online and just give it to him and tell him thats what you want him to say. Sometime it could be worse with a person you don't know because they might have experience but they might also do or say something you don't like. Best of Luck.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would offer to pay the $75 to have him be your officiant. I would also get him a small thank you gift. I like the idea of having a friend over a stranger and like PP Sarah42nd suggested you can find vows online or in a book. The knot vow book is actually decent.
  • Options
    jmucheech21jmucheech21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FBIL and FSIL were married by her best friend who did the same thing.  They said it was perfect because it was so much more meaningful to them than having someone they didn't know.  =)
  • Options
    Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you really need "experience" to perform a ceremony. Since he's a lawyer, that means he's fine with speaking in front of people... that's the most important thing. So go for it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone above. Because he is a good friend, it will seem much more personable and meaningful. I am sure he can get a great outline of a general ceremony and you guys can add in your special touches. Hope it works out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards