South Asian Weddings

What to wear to a mehndi party / pithi

What did you girls wear to your mehndi party and pithi?

- Mehndi party: Did you wear a sari or a lehnga? A punjabi suit? Did you wear something very heavy or more casual?

- Pithi: Did you wear a sari or a punjabi suit? I know this will probably get ruined so I'm trying to figure out a good option for this day.

Re: What to wear to a mehndi party / pithi

• Hi there-

Ohh..I LOVED these 2 events.  I had the most fun at my mehndi.  Since both of these events were at my parents home and they were close friends and family, I kept my outfits simple but elegant.  I work an anarkali suit without the pants for the mehndi so that I was comfortable with the it on my feet and legs.  For my pithi, I wore a very simple yellow sari.  

I have seen brides wear pretty much any of the 3 for the mehndi though.
  • How ruined did your sari get? What kind of fabric was it? An Anarkali suit without the pants sounds smart!

• edited April 2012
    I really like Anarkali suits.  I would say to make sure you have someone designated (mom, sister, friend) to help you undress if you plan on sleeping with your mehndhi on your hands or feet.  (This depends on when you get it done during the day).  My pithi was a couple hours before my mehndi ( my parents weren't too picky about if it was before or after the mehndi) so I didn't have too much time to shower. Also, I had my nails done the day before so I didn't want my nails to get yellow.  My aunts didn't go overboard with the pithi so only a small amount was placed on my hands, feet, and face.  My sari was silk and one which was sent to me from family in India so I didn't have the heart not to wear it.   It got a little dirty though.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards