Delaware

Great advice

Gzilla spent the day with his friend Dave early this week... Dave and his wife were the first of our group of friends to get married (and they have the cutest son.  We call him Four.)

Dave's wife gave Gzilla some really great advice to pass along to me... and I felt the need to pass it on to you guys as well. 

No matter what... no matter how much planning happens... something is going to go wrong.  The trick is to find out as early as possible what that thing is, and let it go. 

At their wedding, it was their cake.  The bakery delivered the wrong cake.  They were supposed to have a plain cake, and then the wedding coordinator was going to decorate it with flowers they had delivered from their florist.  They got married on the Jersey Shore, so they REALLY DID NOT want a cake with seashells on it. 

The cake that was delivered?  Had seashells on it.  The wedding coordinator says "What do you want me to do with the flowers?"  The bride says "I don't care... just don't put them on the cake."  Where are the flowers when they get to the reception?  On the cake. 

Gzilla and I actually really liked their cake, and thought it was really cute.  No one had idea any that the bride & groom were really upset about it, because they saw it... couldn't do anything about it... and chose to move on.

Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog

Re: Great advice

• edited December 2011
    It's so true, though!  She is one smart woman :)

At ours, it was the rings.  My sister forgot the rings in the classroom.  Everyone but me knew.  She kept sending people back to the room to look for them, and finally had to run full speed to go get them.  I didn't find out until after the ceremony.  Thank God.

It was also my sister's bra.  My older sister had a dress that cut down low in the back, so she couldn't wear a regular bra.  She didn't feel comfortable going without one, so she cut up a cheap old one, with the plan to pin it in and tape it to her.  It didn't work well, so every picture before she finally removed it is with her holding her flowers high to hide it.

It was the table cloths and tables.  We requested the large tables (that seat 10), even though we were only having 8 per table- we wanted to give our guests as much room as possible for elbows.  We had ordered Cobalt Blue table cloths to match our colors.  When we showed up, the tables were the smaller table and the table cloths were a bright blue instead of cobalt.  It worked out fine in the end- no one noticed the color difference, and it actually brightened the room.  If we had gone with the actual Cobalt, the room would have looked really, really dark.

It was the candy buffet.  We were told by the place that they would refill the jars for us, no problem.  They didn't- and we had empty jars on the table when there were extra bags of candy underneath the table.  Oh well.

All in all, if you focus on the meaning of the day instead of the problems, you will be too giddy to worry about the problems.  Even if they are small- like mine- you will see them piling up, and as long as you don't let them get to you, everything will be fine :)
  • Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd like to pass this along...

The best advice I was ever given was from a woman at the nail salon the day before my wedding(I really believe I was meant to run into this lady...lol). She said no matter what happens...always wear a smile and continually keep in mind that camera people are always with you and the last thing you'd want to translate on film is anger or unhappiness on your wedding day. 

Well it turned out I  had so many issues at my reception and I think I did a pretty good job of brushing them all off thanks to that ladies advice(after the honeymoon is a different story).Usually when I'm upset about something you can read it all over my face because I suck at letting stuff go.

So no matter what goes wrong....because chances are something will whether it be big or small...don't forget to smile.

That advice helped me tremendously!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Mattsbride - It's funny you should say that about the pictures  Laughing

Here's a picture of me, taken by my brother, expressing to my husband that I'm annoyed with the dj.  I had to laugh when I saw it because I knew exactly when that was.

• Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thats too funny! I know I had a couple of those moments too. I wasn't a shiney happy person all night long(my aunt said she couldn't help but notice my expression when I tried the food) but again that advice sure did help during those moments because I'd quickly transition to a smile.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I love this. 

Another one of my friends told me that the hardest part is getting through the rehearsal dinner.  Once the rehearsal dinner happens... it's over.  There's nothing else you can do.  Everything else is out of yours hands, so let it go.  Actually... it may have been the same person!  i think it was!

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • JayElleJayCeeJayElleJayCee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love this post! Such great advice!! love the picture DIBS! haha I will keep all of this in mind the day of which is coming soo soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, you want a good picture?  My mom had been bugging me about wearing her pearls (nothing sentimental about them) and I didn't want to wear a necklace at all since I had a v-neck and the top of my dress was so embellished.  Well, she brought them anyway and pulled them out while I was getting ready and this was the moment that got captured:

ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • edited December 2011
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA  That face is awesome. 

And for the record---you were totally right.  You don't need a necklace with that bodice!

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • edited December 2011
    I love those pictures. No necklace neccessary with that dress.

I had a few pictures like that from my first wedding... kind of annoyed.

1. photographer got lost. Following a limo. Reason number 650 why I'd never recommend The Pro's.

2. Limo driver tried to tell us that because the ceremony ran late, he wasn't going to be able to take us to the reception hall because he made plans for that night. Didn't go over too well.

3. Reception hall absolutely not set up in any way, shape, or form for how they promised it would be. This is why I'll be doing my own setting up for ours.

But- being with family, seeing friends, and actually getting married was all that mattered.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Bahahahahahahahaha.  That face is PRICELESS, TR.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_great-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:77Discussion:9d016fc0-51c5-4079-8404-0d9e00364a57Post:783bea8f-8fcc-41ff-86e5-3680b6c05f84">Re: Great advice</a>:
    [QUOTE] But- being with family, seeing friends, and actually getting married was all that mattered.
    Posted by paprika28[/QUOTE]

THIS.  This exactly!

I was told by an old Knottie to stop doing stuff at Thursday at 5pm.  Once that day comes around, except for driving to drop stuff off, there is nothing at all that you can change.  NOTHING.  Instead of freaking out trying to fix and change things, relax and enjoy yourself.
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MrsTR.....LOVE IT!!!!

• JayElleJayCeeJayElleJayCee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hahahaha!! That is great MrsTR! thanks for sharing that priceless moment. lol.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Those pictures are priceless ladies!!!  Great advice!  Thank you for sharing!  I may just have to save this post to re-read when the time comes!
    September 2011 August Siggy Challenge- Drag Queens!! imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards