Wedding Woes
Options

Gahh. Can't figure out the date!

My boyfriend of five years just proposed! Only problem is, we can't figure out the date! He says it's up to me. A lot of help that is! 

Should we plan the wedding during my senior year of undergrad? The good thing about this is that we don't have to wait that long and his family really likes that idea. However, I don't know if planning a wedding during senior research and such is a good idea and my school is two hours away from where the wedding will be held. I don't want to be too stressed! But I'll also have a lot of help.

Or should I forgo all that stress, wait another year, and get married the year after my first year of graduate school. The school I will be attending is in the town the wedding will be held, so working with vendors will be a lot easier. But I don't know how difficult graduate school will be. People say it's hard, but people have said that about other things I've found easy. 

So girls out there, what do you think? Would you rather plan a wedding during your senior year of undergrad, or during your first year of graduate school?

Re: Gahh. Can't figure out the date!

• Options
    Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_gahh-cant-figure-out-date?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:6dfd5bfa-09d8-4095-baf6-dedca70e3639Post:8b44b721-048a-4776-b06e-dcab02980ebd">Gahh. Can't figure out the date!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My boyfriend of five years just proposed! Only problem is, we can't figure out the date! He says it's up to me. A lot of help that is!  Should we plan the wedding during my senior year of undergrad? The good thing about this is that we don't have to wait that long and his family really likes that idea. However, I don't know if planning a wedding during senior research and such is a good idea and my school is two hours away from where the wedding will be held. I don't want to be too stressed! But I'll also have a lot of help. Or should I forgo all that stress, wait another year, and get married the year after my first year of graduate school. The school I will be attending is in the town the wedding will be held, so working with vendors will be a lot easier. But I don't know how difficult graduate school will be. People say it's hard, but people have said that about other things I've found easy.  So girls out there, what do you think? Would you rather plan a wedding during your senior year of undergrad, or during your first year of graduate school?
    Posted by amonarr[/QUOTE]

I would definitely suggest waiting until after undergrad. Congrats on the engagement, but definitely wait. No need to add stress. And remember, beyond the stress of planning is the fact that you have to afford said wedding. Easier to do when you are out of school and can focus financially on the wedding only rather than wedding, plus school, plus of course saving $$ for a house and all that jazz, which you're probably already doing. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Exactly what ButterCookie said.
  • Options
    SagenhaftSagenhaft member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, you can't do what PP said while paying for Grad school anymore than you can while paying for undergrad. I would suggest looking at your budget and then looking at venues -- will you be happy with the wedding you can afford? If yes, then just go for it. Planning a wedding can be stressful, but it can also take away from the stress of writing research papers. And the weekend trips to visit with vendors can be fun and a mini-vacation for you guys. If you will NOT be happy with the wedding you can afford, then definitely wait, possibly for a few years until you're out of grad school.

Congratulations!
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I'd wait to finish grad school. You're putting a lot of thought into how much stress a wedding will add to school. How much thought have you given to how much stress a marriage will add?
  • Options
    Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wait.  Finish school.  Get settled.

Planning a wedding is stressful and time consuming.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_gahh-cant-figure-out-date?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:6dfd5bfa-09d8-4095-baf6-dedca70e3639Post:abc2dc32-5e5a-4609-8b4f-72553abf465a">Re: Gahh. Can't figure out the date!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally, I'd wait to finish grad school. You're putting a lot of thought into how much stress a wedding will add to school. How much thought have you given to how much stress a marriage will add?
    Posted by TheDuckis[/QUOTE]

<div>This.  Grad school is not a walk in the park, I'm currently working full time, finishing my masters thesis, and planning a wedding.  I wouldn't wish this stress on anyone.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards