Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Square vs round

Which is more "traditional" in your opinion?

Re: Square vs round

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I am not sure. What are you talking about? A cake? Place settings? 

I think round is probably more traditional for most dining related things.  Obviously the styling can make something look more or less traditional depending. 

ETA: I didn't see the part about cake when I responded. I hope I'm not losing my mind. I stand with round!
  • Options
    We are alternating our wedding cake. We are doing a 4 tier cake starting with square on the bottom.  It is absolutely gorgeous and elegant!
  • Options
    round is more traditional, but I think with all the variety of designs and styles out there the colors and frosting choices determine the overall feel much more than the shape of the tiers.  You can have a very traditional cake with squares or a very non-traditional with round. 
  • Options
    I do not find either more traditional than the other.  The flavors of the cake and icing makes it traditional to me, not the shape.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_square-vs-round?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:31f03519-900e-4b7a-ac2f-7e52fe058619Post:72fba7f0-27f5-43d9-a3d6-6fbcd8bb6ce6">Re: Square vs round</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are alternating our wedding cake. We are doing a 4 tier cake starting with square on the bottom.  It is absolutely gorgeous and elegant!
    Posted by athurner02[/QUOTE]

We are doing this also :) I voted for round, but thats just based on my experience.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think round is more traditional than square...but you can also alter the shape (i.e turn round into heart-shaped).  If you are expecting a large number of guests, I would go with square because it will yield more servings!

Best of Luck
  • Options
    Depends on your background.  Round is more traditional in North America, but in Europe I believe it is more traditional to have a square cake. We are having a square cake because we just prefer the way it looks, and it is consistent with other elements of our wedding, like centrepieces, etc.
  • Options
    I think round is more traditional, but how it's designed And decorated makes more of a difference than shape.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I am getting a square cake mostly because I find the lines to be more modern and contemporary.  I definitely agree, that round is more of the traditional route.  
  • Options
    I voted round as more traditional, but I prefer square cakes.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Square makes me think of the 80s and 90s while most of the round cakes seem modern.  But I think it depends more on the design then just the shape!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards