Not Engaged Yet

House guests

I'm compiling a list of things to grab from the grocery store for our house guests this weekend. H and I are kind of minimalists when it comes to food in the house, unless you count expired food--we have an abundance of that... (Don't worry, I tossed it this morning in preparation for company :))

What are some nice things to have to offer people sleeping at your house? Don't be shy about stating the obvious. What do you appreciate being offered when at someone else's place for the weekend?

I have:
 - Coffee, sugar, sugar substitutes, and half n' half
 - Black tea
 - Bagels, cream cheese
 - Orange juice

If it helps, they arrive around dinner time tomorrow, and we are going out to eat, then the next day we'll probably be at a couple wineries, then they leave on Monday morning.

TIA!

Re: House guests

• May be some apple or oranges along with breakfast.  May be chips, pretzels or crackers in case anyone is craving any snack food.

Anniversary

• Depending on how many people you have, we usually try to make breakfast one morning - eggs and bacon and hashbrowns are our go-tos.  All pretty easy to do en masse, and generally pretty quick.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I like to have coffee in the morning and some fruit. When we have guests my mom usually cooks a full breakfast but I'm not a huge breakfast eater so something small like coffee, fruit and juice is good.

• Bottled water
    Fruit

When I have guests, I usually make a breakfast type casserole the night before and then just pop it in the oven in the am.  I always go way overboard when I have houseguests and end up making more food than anyone can eat.

Also when I have houseguests even I have coffee, they end up going to a Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks, so don't go crazy on getting all sorts of varities of coffee.

The snack idea is good as well since they can pack some snacks for your day trip.

I ALWAYS expect high thread count sheets, a chauffer, three cute puppies, and a pony when I'm a house guest.  That was a horrible joke.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_house-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:18764393-ec79-4352-8884-cd282ec76f06Post:49e51d8b-17c7-4906-9ef8-3ed55f17b8db">Re: House guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bottled water Fruit When I have guests, I usually make a breakfast type casserole the night before and then just pop it in the oven in the am.  I always go way overboard when I have houseguests and end up making more food than anyone can eat. Also when I have houseguests even I have coffee, they end up going to a Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks, so don't go crazy on getting all sorts of varities of coffee. The snack idea is good as well since they can pack some snacks for your day trip.<strong> I ALWAYS expect high thread count sheets, a chauffer, three cute puppies, and a pony when I'm a house guest.  That was a horrible joke.</strong>
    Posted by buddysmom80[/QUOTE]

hahaha! I like the three cute puppies! It makes me think of Bridesmaids when Melissa McCarthy steals all those puppies.
  • You may want to consider some sandwich stuff, cold cuts, bread, mayo, mustard and whatnots depending on what time you'll be leaving for the wineries. 

As an aside, I'd swing by the dollar store and pick up some spare toothbrushes, and other various tolietries that I always seem to forget when Im traveling (toothpaste, lotions, razors)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_house-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:18764393-ec79-4352-8884-cd282ec76f06Post:49e51d8b-17c7-4906-9ef8-3ed55f17b8db">Re: House guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bottled water Fruit When I have guests, I usually make a breakfast type casserole the night before and then just pop it in the oven in the am.  I always go way overboard when I have houseguests and end up making more food than anyone can eat. Also when I have houseguests even I have coffee, they end up going to a Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks, so don't go crazy on getting all sorts of varities of coffee. The snack idea is good as well since they can pack some snacks for your day trip. I ALWAYS expect high thread count sheets, a chauffer, three cute puppies, and a pony when I'm a house guest.  <strong>That was a horrible joke.</strong>
    Posted by buddysmom80[/QUOTE]

Twasn't!
  • The dollar store idea is awesome, I put the guests favorite candy in a candy bowl in our guest room. 

Another thing, make sure each guest has their own set of towels, hand towels, wash cloths.  I'm a little OCD and tend to color code mine as well, but my mom for example doesn't like to share hand towels. 

Bottled water set up in the guest rooms, if there aren't tvs in the room maybe a puzzle book?

My parents are older, so I make sure there is a flashlight in their room in case they have to go downstairs to use the toilet (our guest rooms are upstairs and the bathroom downstairs)

This is getting way out of hand, but I go all OCD when people stay over lol

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I always try to find out what my guests like before I buy stuff.  It usually is my parents, and my mom is constantly on some new food restriction (dairy free, gluten free, preservative free, etc).  So I just ask what they would like, it is way easier for me than guessing.  And it is just my parents, so it's not like it is an awkward conversation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tuarceathatuarceatha member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2013
    All sorts of helpful suggestions!

It is my mom's siblings, so a 30 year old, his 27 year old gf, a 45 year old, and a 33 year old.

Towels are my thing too, Buddy! I always find it sooo awkward asking people where their towels are. And the guest bathroom has all of my sample size stuff, and extra supplies like toothbrushes. I'll point that out to them.

So I've got:
     - snack fruit
     - snacks like chips
     - eggs
     - BACON!
     - bread
     - hashbrowns
     - bottled water
     - high thread count sheets only (p.s. I totally read this first item in your ridiculous list seriously. I hate rough sheets ;))
     - lunch stuffs for winery
     - Clearance candy from Target!

ETA: Thanks peek. I guess I was too focused on work thoughts, but you fixed that. I want bacon now. I had BAT pizza last night. Bacon, Avocado, and Tomato. SO good.
  • You forgot bacon.  You can't feed people eggs and hashbrowns and not feed them bacon.  Where is your head?
    I french with my man
  • Your list looks good to me! 

P.S. I'll be stopping by for breakfast.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What if they don't like bacon?  I know blasphemous but they might not.  You should also offer sausage.  Oh and prepare me a room because I am on my way over.  

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards