Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Bridge fare???

So... my FI and I are having our reception in Center City, but it's looking like our ceremony will be in South Jersey (Cherry Hill area). My FI is from MD, and I pointed out that there would be a bridge fare (which may have been a mistake) of $5 (it goes up in July!). He thinks it would be a good idea to pay everyone's bridge toll, while I think it's a little silly. What are everyone else's thoughts, and how could I say this to my hubby-to-be without being... rude? Or unreasonable?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridge fare???

• Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I was a guest, I would not expect you to pay for my bridge fare. I think that would be a little awkward. Would you just hand $5 out to everyone as they went through your receiving line at the church? I don't think there's a good way to do it.

My FI and I had a disagreement on what our guests would want, so we both asked our parents what they thought the people on their respective lists would prefer. Maybe that's a good way to approach this.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this is along the same lines as gas prices, it's going to sky rocket this summer, and it already has, but we wouldn't pay people for the gas they use to get to and from the wedding, I think the tolls are the same way. Does it stink? Maybe... but they are your friends/family and if they are invited to the wedding, I don't think they will mind paying it to see you. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm glad you asked this... Our reception is in MD, and the ceremony is in Delco- there's a $5 toll, depending on the route people take. We're thinking of just forewarning the guests, like say on the map card that we'll be including in the invitation. (Basically stating that if they take x route, which is faster, there is a toll, however this route is available as well with no toll, but may take up to 20 minutes longer.)
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Paprika. Don't pay it, but if you have a lot of guests unfamiliar with the area it would be nice to give them a heads up.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks. We have some guests coming from MD, and without the bridge toll here, they will have $16 in tolls on I-95 alone. 

I just really feel like paying everyone's bridge toll would be unnecessarily dipping into our budget, and I'm really not sure we have room for that. And even if we did, I kind of really don't want to use our whole budget.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cc+mmcc+mm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our ceremony was in NJ (near Cherry Hill) and our reception was in center city. We did not pay tolls, but did provide a shuttle (school) bus from center city to NJ and then back to the city and then back to NJ. We figured that covered parking and tolls for those who chose to use it...
  • edited December 2011
    Our parking is already included in our reception price (which is majorly, majorly a steal), so we figure we're already technically paying for parking...

luckily, I talked to him about it, and the issue isn't on the table anymore, but thanks for all of your input everyone!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards