Wedding Reception Forum

Re: First Dance

• If he is very shy, he may not like this all that much either, as it still draws a lot of interesting attention to him.

Beyond that I am absolutely no help on songs.
  • I'd recommend that you not do this for several reasons:

1 - If he's shy, he's not going to like being danced at.  It sounds terribly awkward for him...

2 - I don't mean to be rude, but surprise first dances aren't much of a surprise anymore.  They've become terribly cliche :(

3 - Your friends probably don't really want to do this.  I can promise you that at least one of them is secretly mortified at the idea but feels obligated to do it because you're so excited...

Sorry :(
  • Depending on how shy he is, he may not like as lauralaur said.

But as far as songs go... you could do Taylor Swift's Love Story. There's also:
    Colbie Calliat songs like Lucky or even Bubbly,
    Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer,
    Cascada has a bunch of songs Everytime We Touch jumps to mind,
    and Kelly Clarkson My Life Would Suck without you.

Hopefully that helps a little. Good luck!
  • Are you a professional dancer?  Are all of your friends?  I've seen a lot of these online wedding dance videos, and there was only one that didn't make me cringe the entire time, the one where the man of honor's toast turned into a large, elaborate musical number.  Of course, the bride and most of her friends and attendants had musical theatre experience. 

If your FI doesn't want to do it, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T MAKE HIM, and don't dance around him.  If my FI were trying to force me into something uncomfortable at the reception, I would be dreading it all day, and I wouldn't be able to focus on, let alone enjoy, the ceremony.  You know, the point of the whole thing.  Same goes if I were a BM or guest who'd been guilted by the bride into dancing.

It's just not a unique or interesting idea anymore.  People genuinely enjoy watching talented people dance, but if your friends aren't talented, don't try to turn them into those contenstants at the So You Think You Can Dance auditions who only make it on the show so that the entire country can laugh at them.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • This is a bad idea, especially if he is shy.  Not to mention this has been done to death and is no longer funny, interesting, or surprising.  Mostly, it is just overdone and unoriginal.
  • I don't want to sound like I'm crapping on your idea ... but I'm about to crap on you idea:

If your FI is shy, dancing to him is putting him in the spotlight just as much as he'd be if he was actually dancing.

Why can't you guys just do a first dance together that you're both comfortable with? Ya know, that whole compromise thing? That you're going to need to get good at for a successful marriage anyway?

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • yeah, accidentally embarrassing your new husband is not a good idea on your wedding day.

I would drop the whole idea.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Nononono, please don't do this.  I'm begging you, as a painfully shy person myself, he will be humiliated.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • What is the link to the video? I think it might be a pretty cool, very memorable experience, and at the same time has the potential to be horrifying!  But you know your FH best -- if you think he'd be into it, best of luck!  
  • Are your bridesmaids into this?  If so, leave your fiance out of it completely and do a fun girl's dance. But only if they want to. 
  • Oh gosh guys, it's HER wedding!

Do what you want hun, you know your fiance best and know how he'll react. If it's something he'd enjoy, do it. If not, don't. You know your relationship better than anyone here. Regarding the point of it being "cliche", who cares? A lot of wedding traditions are cliche, but what matters most is that the event suits the couple. What other people think really shouldn't matter.

That said, my suggestion for a fun/upbeat dance is "Ain't No Other Man" by Christina Aguilera. That's a fun one.

No matter what you choose, I'm sure you and your FI will have a wonderful day that you'll treasure forever ;)
  • Please don't do this. It will embarrass your FI and most of your guests will think it's incredibly lame.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_surprise-first-dancehelp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:47c18aed-3ef6-44e1-aeb6-2f626aa8afd2Post:680b7bae-568d-473a-aa6d-2d67b70bffec">Re: Surprise First Dance...HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh gosh guys, it's HER wedding! Do what you want hun, you know your fiance best and know how he'll react. If it's something he'd enjoy, do it. If not, don't. You know your relationship better than anyone here. Regarding the point of it being "cliche", who cares? A lot of wedding traditions are cliche, but what matters most is that the event suits the couple. What other people think really shouldn't matter. That said, my suggestion for a fun/upbeat dance is "Ain't No Other Man" by Christina Aguilera. That's a fun one. No matter what you choose, I'm sure you and your FI will have a wonderful day that you'll treasure forever ;)
    Posted by racheladine[/QUOTE]
    Nooooo...it's THEIR wedding which is why the overall advice was not to do it if he gets embarrassed easily.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• So let me be sure I understand what you're asking.

You wanted a big WP choreographed dance for your first dance as husband and wife.

Your FI did not want that kind of attention on him.

So you're going to do your first dance as husband and wife without the husband, but still find a way to focus all the attention on him?

And you don't really see anything wrong with that?

Okay then,
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • yea....this just sounds like a terrible idea. i've seen these videos too and honestly they're pretty stupid. the first few were cute, and when the bride and groom do it it can be fun, but mostly it's just a played out stunt at this point.

if your fiance is shy he's going to hate this and hate that you did it to him. he's probably already freaking out over the idea that the two of you have to dance, alone, in front of everyone. what makes you think that having 10 girls dance AROUND him is going to make him more comfortable?????

please think of your future husband on this one. you might love the idea, but i can pretty much guarantee that he will hate it and probably be pretty angry if you did this. the fact that you know he's shy and yet still want to put him in an uncomfortable situation just because you like the idea is incredibly selfish.
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2009
    Please don't do this.  The day you get married is not a good day to humiliate your FI (or your friends).  It's his day too, and he should have a good time.

Besides, these are really cheesy and stupid.  They scream 80's movie prom. 
  • How about instead of the first dance... make it a fun entrance with him.  Him walking in the room to fun music and having you by his side would be fun for both of you.  It's only for a brief moment so it wont embarrass him too much.  Waving your hands and having fun when you walk in should be enough.
    The song love like this . Faith Evans.

You want for your husband to be to be happy, relaxed and looking forward to the day with you.  This is about just the two of you... If he's not an outgoing guy, don't try to make him one espeically in front of all of your family and friends.

Whatever you decide to you.. best wishes and have a great day.

:)

• We had fun with our entrance and first dance. All of our wedding party had creative entrances (vogue, running man, sprinkler... corny stuff) and we did the reeling in the fish. I had been so serious about the wedding that is was fun to do something. For our first dance we took months of dance classes and started off with the ipod playing our song, Jason Mraz "Im Yours" and then at a cue the band started to play Michael Jackson " The Way you Make me feel" The whole wedding party joined us out on the dance floor! It was really fun but only worked because we practiced A LOT and both wanted to do it.
  • Go for it and have fun doing it!!!!  Whether you can or can't dance people will be talking about it after your wedding (just remember it might be good or bad:)) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards