California-Los Angeles

Officiant Dilemma!

Ok Ladies I'm in a pickle here...

The person we had initially asked to marry us can NO LONGER do it. I'm trying to remain clam....{{{breathe in....breathe out}}}

We are 2 months from wedding day.

I have NO CLUE what an officiant cost...I'm so nervous of the fact that everyone will be booked because it's soooo close to the date.

FI is trying to see if maybe we can get a friend or family member to be ordained and do it...and if that doesn't work then we need to pay someone which honestly is the last thing we need.

The bank acct is getting smaller and smaller as the day approcahes...

Suggestions...recommendations? HELP please!

Re: Officiant Dilemma!

• Mellie35Mellie35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    From my experience, any officiant will cost around $400-500. Ours was in the $400 range. She was amazing. Try the family/friend thing first. We didn't really have anyone. Good luck! Sorry you are going through this 2 months before the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    If you can swing it, I highly recommend having a family friend do it.  We did, and we were so happy with how well it went.  Plus, it was nice having someone up there that both of us knew well instead of some stranger.  

It's free to become ordained through the Universal Life Ministry.  We gave him a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant as a nice thank you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Genie03Genie03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Sorry no help here, but I'm sending knottie vibes your way to not have to pay for an officant.

Good luck.

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's right, just breathe.  Everything will work out, I promise.  Sending the knottie vibes your way!
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Can you ask a Pastor from your church?  Mine was $300 but you have to take premarital classes first :( Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I was originally going to use The Officiant Guy. If he gets your marriage license for you, it's $550. If you get it yourself it is less, obviously. Good luck!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    sicilianmarie- we are no church going people...I know...so we don't have a minister, pastor, priest...etc etc...

We also want to keep things non-denominational...and my big thing was to keep religion out.

But the premarital classes seem like a good idea :)
  • Vans18Vans18 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So sorry you're going through this at this point of time.  Just take it easy you'll find someone. I think you should really find a family member or close friend to do it. That sounds like your cheapest and best way to go at this point. GL and knottie vibes your way.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh ok, well then mine wouldn't work lol Well best of luck sweetie!
  • edited December 2011
    Our DOC coordinator recommended someone that was in our price range. Maybe yours can do the same for your price range/situation?

Ours was $550, but of course, we were planning on that all along and had budgeted it in. I can see how you would not want that extra expense at this point! But I have to say, she was AMAZING (totally non-religious), and people kept commenting on how great the ceremony was.
  • imlovingitimlovingit member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would just go with a friend or family member. It's not just because it's free but it's also very personal.
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry your going through this. Our Officiant charges $375 (I may be off by a bit), which I felt was a steal compared to other quotes I got.  He will be officiating a Non-Denominational ceremony for us. He's also a really nice guy and has a lot of experience. His name is Rev. Ron Beams. 
    I hope you find a solution, good luck !  
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm ordained LOL ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • altdeeraltdeer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LA County has a program by which a person can be certified to perform a single, specific wedding, if you don't want to go the online ordination route for a friend or family member.  It costs $75.  There's more information on the county clerk's website.
  • edited December 2011
    Great tips, I love reading your tips-very helpful.  But one of the postings stated that they' dont want religion to be a part of the ceremony... but thats vary audacious to say.  The fact is that God is and was the very creator of marriage, which is recorded in the [Genesis 2:23-24 "The man said, 'This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called "woman", for she wastaken out of man.' 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife, and they will become one flesh.' God created man and then made woman to complement him.  Eve was created to be alongside Adam as his "other half", to be his aid and his helper, and he is to protect her, aid her.  A man and woman, when married, become "one flesh". "So they are no longer two, but one.  Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate" Matthew 19:6.

So whether you agree or disagree, it doesnt matter because just the act of getting married, you are publicly acknowledging God's instiution of marrriage. 

Nonetheless, I wish all brides to be, an amazing marriage filled with love and kindness.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards