May 2012 Weddings
Options

Depositing Checks...??

H and I received a TON of checks with the pay to as" Mr and Mrs. H's Lastname" and although I fully intend on changing my name, I haven't started the process yet.

Any idea if I can still deposit the checks into our joint account? Do I sign the back? Does H sign the back? Do we just write "for deposit only"?

Anyone who has had to deal with this minor issue, I'd love to know what you did!

imageimage
Missing Our July Sparkler
BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]

Re: Depositing Checks...??

• Options
    ronik77ronik77 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I thnk if you do for deposit only then you should be ok. I would check with your bank and see if that would be ok.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We had a lot like that too. We both signed the back and put "for deposit only" and we had no problem depositing them :
    Photobucket
  • Options

We were able to, yes. The bank did ask to see our marriage certificate but then they let us deposit all checks made out to me alone (maiden), me alone (new) and Mr & Mrs.

• Options
    FYI- federal law in this country sees a marriage certificate as a name change document so your name is already legally changed. States may require various procedures but Im not sure!
  • Options
    Thank you ladies!!!

I;ll be going to the bank today with the checks unsigned to double check with them about how I need to sign them, I'll also bring in our marriage license in case!!!
    imageimage
    Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]
  • Options
    We deposited checks right away and they all said Mr and Mrs S. We both signed and I also signed with my new last name (which hasn't been technically changed yet) and no one questioned it.
  • Options
    My husband just signed all the ones made out to both of us and put it in his account (we don't have a joint one) and they all went through.  We have one made out to Kim Maiden Name and Greg Last Name and that one we're both going to sign.
  • Options
    We haven't officially changed our names yet, but we are able to cash checks made out to Mr. and Mrs. HisLastName even though we both hyphenated. The bank will just have you sign the check the way the person has written it out and what your name actually is at the moment.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Our bank didn't give us any issues at all with this, and we cashed all the checks instead of depositing them into the account.  But, we go to the same branch all the time and they know us well so, I think that might have helped.  I think the advice above is great and should get the checks into your account without too much hassle.  :)
  • Options
    We bank at Chase and had no problems. If the check had Mr & Mrs new last name, I just had my husband sign it. The teller just smiled when I asked if it would be a problem and said "not at all". 
  • Options
    We had absolutely no problem depositing them into our joint account.  You'll be fine.  Since it's a joint account you both shouldn't need to sign them all - I did half and H did half.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards