Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Mildly Wedding Related - TV Series/Movie Recommendations

Since you ladies did such a fabulous job recommending some books for my upcoming honeymoon, I thought I would ask for tv shows and movies as well.  DH has a netbook that we'll be taking and we each have video ipods.  With about 30 hours of fight, we're going to need several forms of entertainment (I'm waiting for the mile-high club jokes to begin).

We tend to go more for action/drama.  Our favorite tv shows lately have been: House, 24, Big Bang Theory, Jericho, Firefly, Family Guy, and Battlestar Galactica.  Yes, as  you can tell, we're a bit nerdy. 

Any recommendations? 

Re: Mildly Wedding Related - TV Series/Movie Recommendations

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Breaking Bad would fit the action/drama requirement, and IMHO, it's also the best show on TV.  There's also Lost, if you didn't keep up with it before, and The Riches (used to be on FX a couple years ago but got cancelled, but it's more drama than action).

Sorry, I haven't been watching much action/drama TV lately, though I am quite knowledgeable about musicals and any movie starring Gene Kelly.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Two words: MAD MEN. one of the greatest shows ever. the writing is superb and the costumes & set are fabulous to look at.

I also really liked 6 Feet Under and Deadwood and you can't go wrong with 30 Rock for some comic relief.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_mildly-wedding-related-tv-seriesmovie-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:098c091f-3441-43ea-a161-51854e94057dPost:b90e75da-8233-4489-9cd4-a69ce3aa4b2f">Re: Mildly Wedding Related - TV Series/Movie Recommendations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Breaking Bad would fit the action/drama requirement, and IMHO, it's also the best show on TV.  There's also Lost, if you didn't keep up with it before, and The Riches (used to be on FX a couple years ago but got cancelled, but it's more drama than action). Sorry, I haven't been watching much action/drama TV lately, though I am quite knowledgeable about musicals and any movie starring Gene Kelly.
    Posted by I Want Cake[/QUOTE]

I think LOST is on DH's list  We started watching it, but stopped two seasons before the end.  Kind of creepy, considering we'll be taking the LA to Sydney flight.  Maybe the island will find us!
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_mildly-wedding-related-tv-seriesmovie-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:098c091f-3441-43ea-a161-51854e94057dPost:2cb989bf-0048-46ff-a7fc-214d902ae542">Re: Mildly Wedding Related - TV Series/Movie Recommendations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Two words: MAD MEN. one of the greatest shows ever. the writing is superb and the costumes & set are fabulous to look at.
    Posted by Muffers[/QUOTE]

THIS! I love, love, LOVE Mad Men! So does FI. It took us a couple episodes to get into it, but after that we were hooked!

And you made me LOL; I was going to suggest LOST too, but I wouldn't watch it on an LA to Sydney flight either!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Heather when are you leaving ? 3 weeks I have a gazillion movies that you are more than welcome to transfer to your iPod so you don't have to buy them. I know it adds up quickly.

My Favorite TV Show is Bones I have season 1-3 on DVD and iPod if you would like to borrow/transfer. Its about a FBI agent and a Anthropoglist solving murders. Its classified as a Drama. My FI LOVES Big Bang Theory I spend most of the esp. confused LoL.

Movies: If you haven't seen Grand Torino its on my Must-See list. Although you said Action I saw Toy Story 3 and loved it. I really enjoyed it and thought it had both child and adult humor and content. Another movie that is a thinker and I thought was really well done was Law Abiding Citzen If you like Mobster/Old west Action then Public Enemy is awesome! I will be getting From Paris With Love from nextflix soon but thats another. I just watched Iron Man 1 and loved it but I don't know if 2 is out yet on DVD or w/e

That should be plenty to get you started LoL :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Mad Men is is our sacred Sunday night ritual together. Hubby and I make dinner, open a bottle of wine, and watch the show. I look forward to it all week.

Have you seen DEXTER?  I can't recommend it enough.  Super exciting, funny, clever. A little dark and twisted, but in a good way. 

And have you ever seen Freaks and Geeks?  Easily one of the best written and acted shows ever on television.  Plus, it has tons of "before they were famous" sightings - James France, Seth Rogan, Jason Segel, and a whole bunch of other people you will recognize.

Okay, now I need to go home and watch Freeks and Geeks.  Is it 5:00 yet?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love Freaks and Geeks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never watched Freaks & Geeks, but you just reminded me of Arrested Development.  I could watch that show for days on end.  Ahead of it's time, it was.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm finally getting on the Mad Men train, and I.am.in.love. It's on netflix, too, fyi!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We love House too! Also: NCIS, Hawthorne, Royal Pains, Law & Order SVU, pretty much all of the shows on USA. I also really like Glee, but my husband doesn't.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Okay, so far it looks like Mad Men is in the lead.  Other contenders:

Breaking Bad
    The Riches
    Lost - final two seasons

Bones - I've been watching "Bones Weekends" for awhile now.  I haven't seen every episode, but I think I've seen most of them

Grand Torino - Saw it and loved it

Toy Story 3

Law Abiding Citizen - I THINK we saw this one

Public Enemy - Saw it
    From Paris with Love - Not sure if DH will watch something with Love in the title
    Iron Man  - Saw and loved both
    Dexter -saw and read the books (LOVE them!)
    Freaks and Geeks - wow, that takes me back.  worth a rewatch

Arrested Development
    NCIS - I've been tempted.  Is it really good?
    Hawthorne
    Royal Pains
    CSI and Law & Order Everything - yeah, pretty much addicted

(Shan...I think you stole our blockbuster que - we have such similar tastes!)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are addicted to Law & Order, you will LOVE NCIS! But then again it's more on the police and forensics side rather than the law side (you being a lawyer probably love that about Law & Order).

The characters are very witty and their relationships are more comical than Law & Order.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
  • Options
    laura_fettlaura_fett member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well there were a couple recommendations for the Sookie Stackhouse books, so I suppose I'll recommend the TrueBlood series, I've gotten hooked on that! Don't know if your DH would like that though.

I also have been watching a lot of Psych, it's similar to Scrubs except a cop show instead of a hospital show. Good comedy!
  • Options
    shameless_adshameless_ad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely second (or third) NCIS and Psych.  I also was going to suggest Dexter, Firefly, and Bones, but it seems like you've seen all those. 

Our newest obsession is 30 Rock - we watched the first three seasons on Netflix streaming in just a few weeks.
    Bio - Updated 7/25/10
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 284 Invited image 182 Attending image 96 Declined image 6 Not yet replied
  • Options
    VeittobeVeittobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh.  I gave up on Mad Men.  I got so annoyed by how women are treated like second class citizens!!  I know it really happened.  It just annoyed me.  I should really get back into it.  I've heard it's worth the watch.  I just got really annoyed by the first 2 episodes.  
    Mike and Kelly 10.01.10
    MSP Signature Challenge:Favorite Registry Item=Wine Cellar
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    BIO!! Updated 06/20/10

• Options
    maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay, so it's official... ALMOST every tv series I was going to recommend was already mentioned. However, one veritable treasure trove of good TV went unmentioned: anything, I mean ANYTHING connected to Bryan Fuller.

Who is Bryan Fuller, you may ask? Only the most talented, amazing writer and producer ever. The man has a knack for creating critically acclaimed TV that dies an untimely death only to gather a cult-like fandom that grows with time. He's worked on shows like Star Trek Voyger and Heroes (every season of Heroes that was decent, that is...) but the real gems are the shows he created: Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, and Pushing Daisies. Seriously. Freaking. Wonderful.

I'm pretty confident you'll like his stuff, especially if you were a fan of Firefly. Bryan Fuller's style and career path share a lot of similar elements with Joss Whedon. In fact, my favorite BF series, Wonderfalls, was a collaboration between BF and Tim Minear, who has worked on several series with Joss Whedon, including Firefly.

/end nerdy rant.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our favorites right now are:
    How I Met Your Mother
    30 Rock
    Glee
    Seeing Firefly on your list makes me miss it so much. I recently re-watched a few episodes. I miss that show. Have you seen Dollhouse? That's a Joss Whedon show. I also agree that Freaks and Geeks is awesome.
  • Options
    Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mad Men is a given. Why aren't you watching it already? Seriously HK.....

Then we've got:
    Weeds
    Its Always Sunny in Philidelphia
    Cougar Town
    The Office
    Parks and Rec
    (and for the nerds in all of us)
    Flight of the Conchords
    Futurama
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force
    Robot Chicken

DH and I are mostly into comedy, as you can tell.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just a note on Firefly: I totally made it to Can't Stop the Serenity this year and it was freakin' awesome!  What is CSTS you ask? Every year fans around the world get to see the movie Serenity (basically the untimely ending movie to Firefly) shown in the theater.  There's raffel prizes and sing-alongs with all the proceeds going to charity.  This year, they also showed Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.  I won a BrownCoat dollar signed by some people with bad signatures that I assume are related to the show and a minature knitted cunning hat.

hkiesling <-- nerd
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I have recently gotten really into The Tudors. Maybe it wouldn't be best for an aisle seat since it is a bit racy...but it is so addicting! I hear the history is a little flubbed at some points, but it sure is good for drama.
    I second (or third?) Freaks and Geeks too. Amazing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second Flight of the Conchords! Though actually only the first season. The second was not nearly as good, IMO.

Also to add to the list: Community
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thank you ladies for all of your wonderful suggestions.  I'll be running them by DH to see which ones he'll also like (but it seems like Mad Men is a given).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards