Ohio-Columbus

Premarital Counseling???

So my fiance and I have agreed to have premaritial counseling. The problem is that I currently live in Ohio and he lives in North Carolina. The wedding will be in my hometown in Virginia. Has anyone every done this long distance? Is it possible to do counseling via conference call or something?  

Re: Premarital Counseling???

• edited December 2011
    Are you being married by a pastor or minister? If so, talk with them to see what they recommend. We are both Catholic and were required to do what is called Engaged Encounter. I do understand there is an online version of it now available.
  • edited December 2011
    I live in VA Beach, FI lives in MD, and we're getting married in Columbus.  We're doing our pre-marital counseling with my Deacon down here even though my priest in Columbus will actually be the one marrying us.  I don't really know if you can do the counseling not in person...  I think I've only scheduled meetings via email/phone, we haven't actually done any counseling that way.

How often do you see your FI right now?  Do you normally meet in the middle, or go to either OH or NC?  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    @MissySue20-We are thinking about my pastor from the hometown church but we haven't decided.
    @TheBeckeister-We normally either go to Oh or NC. It would be very expensive for us to do it in either place with one person traveling and we probably won't be together in one place until the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    @TheBeckmeister-Sorry I forgot to say that we don't see each other very often. Maybe once every 2 or 3 months and we've been lucky to get that much.
  • edited December 2011
    Hm...  Well, if you aren't required to do marriage prep with your pastor/Church, there are lots of results if you google "Online Marriage Prep".  I saw a recommendation for a book called 'Things I wish I knew before I got married" by Gary Chapman (note: I've never read it or anything, I just saw it recommended somewhere).  You could read a little bit each week and discuss it together - kind of doing your own marriage prep?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • PolarBearFansPolarBearFans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are catholic and did the weekend engaged encounter and then made a few trips to cleveland where we were getting married to have sessions with the priest too. You don't have to be catholic to do engaged encounter, and i did not feel like the weekend was very religious at all. It was more about focusing on our relationships, values, and future plans.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards