Pre-wedding Parties

Rehearsal Dinner/Morning After Brunch help?

I have been working on guest lists for our wedding, the rehearsal dinner, etc, and it's getting out of hand. I wanted to have a rehearsal dinner that included anyone who is a part of the rehearsal and their spouses/children, plus ourselves, which is what i've been told is the norm. That put us at 30 people invited to this thing, not including us, and that would mean almost half our guest list is invited to this thing. Yikes. But then we realized we'd like to do something for our out of town guests, because we wanted to thank them for coming and spend more time with them than the few minutes we'll have at the wedding. Unfortunately, THAT would mean inviting 95% of our guest list, or about 58 people not including ourselves. We absolutely cannot afford that!

Does someone have any ideas about how we can make these things more affordable? We considered having the rehearsal be in my church community hall or the park, and just serve pizza and stuff, but even that's going to be tough to pull off with such a tight budget. I've heard of inviting all the guests from out of town to the rehearsal dinner but that would be even worse. I don't know when or how we're going to have time to spend with our out of town guests outside of the wedding and I feel really bad for this. Any ideas?

Re: Rehearsal Dinner/Morning After Brunch help?

• quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about a BBQ with hot dogs and hamburgers?  Or brunch the next day with eggs and pancakes?  Both of those can be done pretty cheaply.  But you don't need to feel obligated to host additional parties for all of your guests.
    Married 10/2/10
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about DIY with things like frozen lasagnas?
  • edited December 2011
    You don't need to invite your out of town guests, especially if it's a financial struggle.

What I would suggest is having a dinner for just the people involved in the rehearsal and their families.  Then you can let all the OOT guests know that you'll be at a certain bar after the rehearsal dinner if they wanted to meet up - then it would be more of a "buy your own" type situation, which will allow you to visit with everyone but not be forced to pay for everyone.  As long as you didn't say you were "inviting" them to join you at the bar, you wouldn't be expected to pay.  Just a simple, "Hey, we'll be going to this bar after the rehearsal, if you wanted to meet up with us there!"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • lasalzillasalzil member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't feel obligated to go out of your way to host something additional for those from out of town. They're coming because THEY want to see you get married and enjoy this special day with you.

Although, this is a very nice gesture on your part and it is understandable! I would suggest something like a BBQ instead of a sit down RD. Lots of places (at least down here) will cater BBQ and it is a good bit of food, and also not very expensive. Sometimes, your venue will allow you to do the RD there, if you look into ahead of time.

If someone in the family is a good cook (or even yourself) you could either try preparing a breakfast for the following morning, or do appetizers and finger sandwhiches for a RD. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards