African American Weddings
Options

What things wont you/ will you cut costs on?

Stolen from my month board July 2011!!!

I can't cut costs on:
Photographer
Hairstylist
DJ
Venue
My Dress

Things I can cut costs on:
Food (Have it homemade instead of catered)
Nails
Eyelashes
Honeymoon (use daddy's timeshare instead of Sandals)
Planner (DIY Everything)
Invites
BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic me and my daddy

Re: What things wont you/ will you cut costs on?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a bargain shopper to my heart. So I have cut cost all around by doing really good research. I've cut cost by going with a catering company who just started there business. He is an amazing chef but has mainly worked in hotels. So to get his name out there he's willing to do our reception for about $6 dollars a person. Found amazing photographers the same way. Florist does this as a hobby on the side, so she does it because she loves it not to make a living. Of course I do require references from all of these vendors but they all have had great portfolios and references. This is how I'm cutting cost. Also went with FI's parents timeshare instead of a resort.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am cutting costs buy using family catering company, doing my own invites and my own save the dates. I can also cut costs on getting another venue versus the one I previously thought to use.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are cutting costs on everything!  we're doing food and flowers ourselves.  we have a friend who is a great photographer.  since we're having a small ceremony we opted not to have a DJ.  we're having the ceremony at his cousins' home.  they have a beautiful backyard what will work. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I will NOT cut costs on

photographer
    cinematographer
    DJ
    venue

I will cut costs on
    Dress
    stationery
    favors
    honeymoon {we won a trip so all we pay are the taxes}

272image Invited
    222image Accepted
    50image Can't Hang
    0 image Just won't be attending PERIOD
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KnaijaQueenKnaijaQueen member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've cut costs on EVERYTHING! There's not one thing on my list that I feel that I'm going to splurge on.

So far, my splurge has been the venue, but even with that, I negotiated down the costs of the rental.
  • Options
    I've cut costs on EVERYTHING! There's not one thing on my list that I feel that I'm going to splurge on.

So far, my splurge has been the venue, but even with that, I negotiated down the costs of the rental.
    I am going with most my cost at the venue too; however, they are denying all my DIY ideas. They only want me to use their vendors. I am going with a friend photographer. That is as far as I made it. 
  • Options
    We refused to cut costs on food, D.J., and photography. Everything else we looked for bargains on.
  • Options
    I am cutting costs on stationary, and flowers by having a mix of high and low center pieces. I am really not splurging per say in the other areas. My largest expense besides the venue was my photographer. 
  • Options
    minsu5minsu5 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    My absolute must-haves and non-cutting costs are:

Photographer
    Venue
    Food
    Tuxedo
    Marriage License

Everything else is fair game

Sunday, May 18, 2014 - Baltimore, Maryland

"Each time you love, love as deeply as if it were forever" - Audre Lorde

• Options
    Things I've cut cost.
    Invites
    Paper (programs ect) I do graphic design so im DIY all the stationary and vistaprint coupons
    Dress~ my sister is designer she will be making one of my dresses
    Decor ~ i used to plan events long story but i already own chair covers, cloths vases ect that i am reusing and getting other vases on with coupons from Michaels.
    Honeymoon ~ using my Parent's Timeshare
    Flowers ~ Peonies, roses , hydrangea online and DIY them in mason jars.
    Makeup ~ i know lots of friends that do make up well. Just saw coupon for new pro brush set i will buy but thats it.

Not cutting cost on
    Food ~ must have great food
    DJ
    Photography
    Videography
  • Options
    marsm4marsm4 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I will cut cost on: I'm making my own centerpieces I'm doing my own hair and makeup (I do makeup on the side) Invitations Videographer (friends husband is making it our gift) Not cutting costs on: Flowers photographer DJ Food Jewelry Shoes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Will not cut cost on:

The venue (what FH wants)
    My Hair
    My Dress (its only $200)
    Food

What I will cut cost on:

Stationery
    Bar
    Honeymoon
    WP Attire
    Flowers and other Decor
  • Options
    Will not cut cost / Take mediocre quality:
    Photography
    Venue - goes with getting great photos
    Food

Will cut costs on:
    Stationary
    Centerpieces - no flowers so I'll make what I can

I will cut every else to make sure my guests have a great time and the place looks as good as possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards