Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Anyone ever use airbnb?

It's a service that puts owners together with renters; i.e. homes, apartments, lofts down to simply a room in someone's house, with someone who wants to stay somewhere.  You can filter out how much you're willing to pay, and the owner can choose whether they want to rent to you or not based on reputation on the site, past rentals from others, etc.

Wife and I are going to San Fran in October and I just came to realize how ridiculously expensive hotels are there.  $400+/night for a bed and pillow at the Hilton, and that comes with nothing else, wtf.  Vegas has already spoiled me on hotels, but that just seems extreme.  I friend told me about the site and I found a couple potential options, but I don't know anything about it, whether someone could just choose to not rent afterall at the last minute, if there are any safety concerns, etc.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

Re: Anyone ever use airbnb?

• Options
    edited September 2012
    http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_anyone-used-airbnb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:771c08a8-fa42-4d61-a31d-e659034271b6Post:a69a9054-bf27-473f-b1af-cbbe08d9103b

I found this on the honeymoon board from this past spring. I read another post in the past week or so about airbnb but of course I can't find it now!

ETA- I found the post but it's not on TK. The reviews from the persons who used it pretty much centered around "It was a lot of fun meeting new people.", "It should be fine, just make sure it's verified and you see pics." It did sound like there were occasions where the property owner was in the house at the time. 

What about VRBO.com?

• Options
    I almost used it for our honeymoon, based on recommendations from 2 friends that have used it - both had great things to say. We ended up renting a private bungalow through vacationrentals.com that we'll be staying in - so far dealing with the owner has been fine and easy.

With Airnb there is a tree house in san fran that you can book! I was tempted... :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Teehouse sounds awesome!
  • Options

Never used them but went in June and stayed here. On Fishermans Wharf. Hotel was awesome. and they have wine hour, free wine from 5-6 I think, Awesome. We got 20% off trough trip advisor. Right now they have 10%off. Totally recommend. Also note Parking fees, 45 a night.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d268533-Reviews-Argonaut_Hotel_a_Kimpton_Hotel-San_Francisco_California.html

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_anyone-ever-use-airbnb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:b2a22b63-f1b5-4d1d-bc38-02bb96a636f4Post:466d4340-9f73-4f08-94ec-bda932a08afc">Re: Anyone ever use airbnb?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about VRBO.com?
    Posted by Mango Margarita[/QUOTE]

Didn't get any reasonable matches, actually only four matches in where we're trying to stay close to, Union Square, and they were either shared spaces or too expensive.  I really don't understand how anyone lives in that city; the cost of living has to be insane for an actual resident if hotels are able to successfully charge people $400+/night.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_anyone-ever-use-airbnb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:b2a22b63-f1b5-4d1d-bc38-02bb96a636f4Post:2e19117b-b379-4ac6-a61d-1a5aa194ed69">Re: Anyone ever use airbnb?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Never used them but went in June and stayed here. On Fishermans Wharf. Hotel was awesome. and they have wine hour, free wine from 5-6 I think, Awesome. We got 20% off trough trip advisor. Right now they have 10%off. Totally recommend. Also note Parking fees, 45 a night. <a href="http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d268533-Reviews-Argonaut_Hotel_a_Kimpton_Hotel-San_Francisco_California.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d268533-Reviews-Argonaut_Hotel_a_Kimpton_Hotel-San_Francisco_California.html</a>
    Posted by katslack[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, it's close enough to where we want to be that cabs would be cheap, unfortunately for our dates in October they're up to $349/night.

I've found one lead on airbnb that I emailed to see how it sounds, maybe it will work out, it's an 800 sq ft apartment about four blocks from where we want to be for $200/night.

• Options
    I use it every time I travel. Used it in Miami and New York but I also just got back from a trip in Europe and I stayed in Rome, London and Paris and only used airbnb for the accomodation. It's a big money saver and also it's much better as you can rent a studio, a house or just a room... You have the choice! In Miami, we were in south beach, 2 blocks away from the beach, a nice studio for $90/night. New York, lower east side, $100/night for a studio. Actually, we only rent once a bedroom in someone else's appartment (we were basically his roomate for 2 days) and it was in London as great locations are SUPER EXPENSIVE there. A room cost us $75/night and we were near the Big Ben. We only book with people who have good reviews and we never had any big issues. All in all, I highly recommend it!
    Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_anyone-ever-use-airbnb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:b2a22b63-f1b5-4d1d-bc38-02bb96a636f4Post:1c02b50b-7b70-4a26-9b38-c07538439444">Re: Anyone ever use airbnb?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I use it every time I travel.
    Posted by SnowWhiteMontreal[/QUOTE]

How does it typically work if you rent an entire apartment/house/condo/etc?  Does the owner meet you somewhere you agree on in advance to give you keys?  I was trying to figure that part out, and how safe I'd feel.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_anyone-ever-use-airbnb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:b2a22b63-f1b5-4d1d-bc38-02bb96a636f4Post:489f3bcb-4626-47d2-b582-d844771c8c3d">Re: Anyone ever use airbnb?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone ever use airbnb? : How does it typically work if you rent an entire apartment/house/condo/etc?  Does the owner meet you somewhere you agree on in advance to give you keys?  I was trying to figure that part out, and how safe I'd feel.
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]

Usually I would meet either the owner or one of thir friend at the apartment. Then the person would give me thekeys, explain me the rules, tell me special things to know about the apartment (like codes to enter, how to use this or that..), give me the wifi username and password, let me know about few things I should know about the neighborhood (like where is the grocery store, the drugstore, how to get to X or Y) and let me know what time th checkout is and where I must leave the keys (most of the times I leave without seeing them again).

The best way to feel safe is to rent a place from someone wo has good reviews (and themore reviews they have the better it is). Serious renters don't want to have bad reviews becaue it could ruin their little business. Start searching by location (you want to be as close to where you're gonna hang out as possible) and price. And then look for those who have reviews only.
    Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Www.homeaway.com

I saw recs for this website too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards