Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Am I sending invites out to early?

Our venue has to have final headcount 30 days before the wedding date (8/13).  So my plan is to send out the invites May 13th with a RSVP date of mid-July. 

What do you ladies think?

TIA!
My Bio(Updated 4/29/2011) Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Re: Am I sending invites out to early?

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should send them out in June instead of May.  Honestly, the earlier you send them, the more time people will have to think, "Oh, July--I've got PLENTY of time to RSVP."  You can still keep the mid-July RSVP date.  But sending them out earlier isn't going to make people RSVP faster, trust me.
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you have a lot of OOT guests?  We sent ours out in February for our May wedding and an RSVP date of mid April.  We did that because 2/3 of our guest list was out of towners.  A few were flying in and we wanted to give them ample time to get their travel stuff together.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    85% of our guests are OOT.  But we already sent out save the dates so they all know about the wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Since you sent out Save the Dates I honestly wouldn't send them out more than 4-5 weeks in advance.
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    See, we didn't send out save the dates so I agree with Stephie.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it is to early either. I do know a lot of people have an issue with getting them back in any kind of timely manner. People were having issues with guests saying they "didn't know" if they were coming yet.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Angie-I'm sending mine end of May beg of June. I say end of May because I'm on vacation 22-28 and I know I can get things done. I may not be able to in June due to work and all. Our RSVP date is July 23, so that way we can get in touch with everyone who hasn't RSVPd the fallowing week. I sent STD's in late Jan, minus a few people who my dad has been adding to the list along the way.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    IDK if you go to the August 11 board, but some girls have sent out invites already! CRAZY!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Why does your caterer need a head count so early? Most are more like a week or two before.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I certainly don't think there's any real harm in sending them early.  But my point is--sending them early is NOT going to make people RSVP any faster (and in fact, it may do the opposite) so don't do it solely for that reason.  You will still be calling and emailng people the week the RSVPs are due.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at one of those one stop places and they want a final count 30 days out.  Now sure why.  If I would have known I was going to have all this extra time on my hands now I wouldn't have gone with this type of place. 

@Megan - I lurk on the August board.  Our RSVP date is July 8 since I have to turn in head cound on the 13th.
  • Options
    angelsong21angelsong21 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_am-sending-invites-out-early?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:945d9fda-7cee-4416-938e-997d25dae6f5Post:65db621c-30aa-4a49-a611-6457b7eab365">Re: Am I sending invites out to early?</a>:
    [QUOTE]IDK if you go to the August 11 board, but some girls have sent out invites already! CRAZY!
    Posted by meghanttu08[/QUOTE]

Wow that is REALLY early!

I think if your venue needs a count this far in advance and you have a lot of OOT guests, it's okay to send them out a bit earlier than the "norm."  As PP pointed out, it might not help your return rates but I'm one of those people who figures it never hurts to try :)
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with some of the others. If you already sent out save the dates then they should be making travel arrangements if they are planning on going. I would say send them the first week of June.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies.  I think I will hold off a few weeks at least until the end of May.  The first of of June is the last week of school for our kids and then the next week we are going OOT for vacation.

Thank for all the help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards