Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

My dream cake, am I going overboard?

I decided on my dream cake....a rainbow colored cake with tiramisu filling! LOVE! I saw the rainbow cake on a recipe website and I just fell in love with it! I'm a colorful person! What can I say! To top it off my favorite dessert is tiramisu! I want to have that as the filling. The outside will be aqua fondant with cherry blossoms all over. Am I going too extreme here? My husband to be loves the idea but I don't want everyone to think I've lost my mind. I know it shouldn't be what everyone else thinks and I should be happy but I can't help it! I need some opinions here! Thanks brides!

Sincerely
Kasey aka Future Mrs. Drymalla

Re: My dream cake, am I going overboard?

• redheadtmkredheadtmk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love tiramasu so I would love your cake. I say go for it. Life is too short not to do the things that make you happy because you are worried what others will think. Just make sure that you ask you baker about what type of food coloring he/she would use and that it wont be enough to make the cake taste funny. Sometimes I dont like the way it tastes in frosting but that could just be me. as long as it does not alter the taste of the cake then you shouldnt worry about what others will think of all the colors. It doesnt affect thier enjoyment in anyway.
  • sparent2010sparent2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You signature is overboard. As long as you and your FI agree I think you will be fine-
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should do it. :)

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • cleoharriscleoharris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Rainbow cakes and weddings are in. I think that it's your wedding, you should have whatever cake design you love and want!
  • edited December 2011
    I think that is a cool idea, very different.  If your FI likes it as well, I'd say go for it.

If your baker wouldn't charge too much extra I would maybe add 1 more filling flavor.  That would give guests 2 options for dessert. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I think it sounds a little over the top, but totally fine. 

My only real thought is that if I were eating a rainbow colored cake, I would probably not know it was tiramisu filled... and would likely not know what I was eating.  It would probably taste great, but in my head I would be thinking, "What is this?  It's delicious and reminds me of something...  I can't put my finger on it..."
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    I think I'm going to totally go for it! This is what I had in mind....'

• edited December 2011
    Or this one....I just love the colors!

• utegogglesutegoggles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One word of warning it might get a little expensive. Maybe as a back up you can do it in your 2 wedding colors as well
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, I hadn't even thought about that. Maybe this weekend, I'll take a stab at making it myself! Oh this should be interesting...I've never done any major backing before. I know I remember seeing the episode on Martha Stewart where there girl made the rainbow cake and she said to use gel food coloring. I'm going to have to look in my bookmarks for that recipe and get the ingredients and see. Let's see how this little adventure turns out! haha
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I love the inside of the cake! It will be such a surprise for your guests when they see it. I say do it!!!
  • blue1981blue1981 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It sounds very cool and original and it makes you happy so go for it
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    That is so pretty! Tiramisu will be delicious!
  • colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's so beautiful! I'm dying for a piece right now. lol.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dream-cake-am-going-overboard?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e959b8a3-c31f-40aa-8da7-694f292669e3Post:0151ffa2-7d0d-4dae-8caa-3b4d000fea12">Re: My dream cake, am I going overboard?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I hadn't even thought about that. Maybe this weekend, I'll take a stab at making it myself! Oh this should be interesting...I've never done any major backing before. I know I remember seeing the episode on Martha Stewart where there girl made the rainbow cake and she said to use gel food coloring. I'm going to have to look in my bookmarks for that recipe and get the ingredients and see. Let's see how this little adventure turns out! haha
    Posted by DrymallaWedding[/QUOTE]

Ah I just saw this. Yes when I make rainbow cakes I use gel food coloring. It keeps from running so Wilton's brand from Michaels is like 1.99 a jar (the jar lasts forever and you can use the food coloring in frostings etc).
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dream-cake-am-going-overboard?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e959b8a3-c31f-40aa-8da7-694f292669e3Post:0188f67e-9c14-4db8-8874-d6e7d9ccf1de">Re: My dream cake, am I going overboard?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My dream cake, am I going overboard? : Ah I just saw this. Yes when I make rainbow cakes I use gel food coloring. It keeps from running so Wilton's brand from Michaels is like 1.99 a jar (the jar lasts forever and you can use the food coloring in frostings etc).
    Posted by sparent2010[/QUOTE]

Oh thank you! You are so helpful!!! I haven't made the cake yet, got a little preoccupied over the weekend but maybe sometime this week I will! I can't wait to try it out! It just looks so pretty! Do you have any pictures of your cakes that you've made?
  • iloveu4everiloveu4ever member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    NO its your wedding.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards