Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Wedding Gown Exit to Honeymoon?

Hey Everyone!

I will be leaving my wedding wearing my wedding gown all the way to the airport and on the flight, all the way to London. I won't take it off until FH and I check in to our hotel, where I can comfortably take off my dress in the room. FH will also be in his suit all the way. 

What's your opinion on it?

Below is my dress: 

Re: Wedding Gown Exit to Honeymoon?

• Options
    I would think about logistics... going through security... going to the bathroom on the airplane.  Are you in economy?  Be aware of the people next to you if your dress is very big, they may not appeciate having tule everywhere for a 7 hour flight. Think about having to get up and out of your seat, or getting down the aisle. Will you have to pay an extra bag fee to bring it back. Its romantic idea, but I would think about the logistical and comfort issues on an international flight.
  • Options
    Yeah honestly I would judge a LOT.  Buy a white "getaway" dress and wear that.  I found a white MK sundress for dirt cheap a week ago since that color is out of season.  I'm going to change into it at the reception at the end of the night and leave in that.  We aren't even getting on an airplane or anything - I just didn't want to walk into the hotel where we are spending our wedding night still wearing my dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I exited in my wedding dress, and I'll admit, I stayed in it while we got a drink at the hotel bar where we stayed. However, it was around 1am at that point, and I wasn't going to go to our room just to change.

But your idea sounds pretty ridiculous, not to mention impractical.

• Options
    As someone who just got back from London, this is not a good idea.  Border Control are always polite, but it would strike them as very odd and I would not be surprised to see you questioned a little more closely than other passengers.

Also: it sounds very silly.  I'd think you were an attention whore.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wedding-gown-exit-to-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:76aa68bf-48f6-4242-8da8-76a69594d265Post:da8afbb3-b9c0-4d5f-8efe-6e92278da022">Re: Wedding Gown Exit to Honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aside from logistics and discomfort, I think this may be one of the most AWish things I've ever heard.  You'd clearly be just milking as much attention as you can out of your wedding day by doing this.  If I were on that plane, I'd roll my eyes and think that you looked like a complete fool.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

This!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    not to mention you'd be probably signing yourself up for secondary screening at customs. Not how you want to spend your wedding night.  I'd wear something cute and comfortable, maybe a little white sundress, or just your veil, that won't draw attention of the TSA or border patrol.  They may make you take it off to board the plane anyways.  Its a LONG flight. You want to be comfortable and you don't want to spend time getting questioned.
  • Options
    lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2012
    You need to rethink this.  I absolutely LOVED my dress, but it was heavy and after wearing it all day, it got to be pretty uncomfortable by the end of the night.  And going to the bathroom in my dress was NOT fun at all.  I couldn't wait to get it off.  Aside from the comfort factor, I also think this is a really AWish move.
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wedding-gown-exit-to-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:76aa68bf-48f6-4242-8da8-76a69594d265Post:da8afbb3-b9c0-4d5f-8efe-6e92278da022">Re: Wedding Gown Exit to Honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aside from logistics and discomfort, I think this may be one of the most AWish things I've ever heard.  You'd clearly be just milking as much attention as you can out of your wedding day by doing this.  If I were on that plane, I'd roll my eyes and think that you looked like a complete fool.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]
     This!

This idea just screams I NEED ATTENTION! Plus if I was sitting next to you and your dress was spilling over onto my all flight, I would not be happy and I would let you know it. 

Buy a white sundress or white slacks and a white cardigan. Change between your reception and the airport. Plus I promise you are really going to want a shower.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm probably going to step on some toes, but we flew out the Monday after our Saturday wedding going to Mexico. There were two other honeymooning couples on our flight. How did I know? Because one was wearing a blinged out 'Just Married' tank, and the other was wearing a 'Mrs. Smith' t-shirt with rhinestones. It was SO tacky.

I was wearing a white beachy sundress and even I felt a little embarassed after seeing those two girls that I looked as tacky as they did.
  • Options
    I am sorry OP but I am going to have to agree with everyone.  If I saw a couple on a plane still dressed in their wedding attire I would think that they were completely ridiculous and just looking for attention/upgrades.  Planes are uncomfortable enough when you are in sweats but I could not imagine sitting in a small seat with no leg room in my wedding dress for 6+ hours.

You could buy a small white dress if you want, but if you are insistent on having people know that you just got married, why not buy a white hoodie with "Just Married!" printed on the back.  You will still get your AW moment it seems like you want but at least you will be comfortable.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wedding-gown-exit-to-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:76aa68bf-48f6-4242-8da8-76a69594d265Post:7524badb-2e6f-4307-8bb0-a235465bcd90">Re: Wedding Gown Exit to Honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm probably going to step on some toes, but we flew out the Monday after our Saturday wedding going to Mexico. There were two other honeymooning couples on our flight. How did I know?<strong> Because one was wearing a blinged out 'Just Married' tank, and the other was wearing a 'Mrs. Smith' t-shirt with rhinestones. It was SO tacky</strong>. I was wearing a white beachy sundress and even I felt a little embarassed after seeing those two girls that I looked as tacky as they did.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

Nope, I completely agree with you. When we flew out for our HM I wore yoga pants, a plain tank and a huge smile.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My main thing is being comfortable. The flight over to London was horrible for sleeping and everything else. I couldn't even imagine being in a wedding dress that entire time.

I think you should look into changing at your reception venue before leaving if you are going straight to the airport. There is no reason you need to be in your wedding dress and the pain in the butt factor I think should far outweigh the "But I want to" factor anyway.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wedding-gown-exit-to-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:76aa68bf-48f6-4242-8da8-76a69594d265Post:20dd5bc8-6366-4865-866d-9cc3967bf4bd">Wedding Gown Exit to Honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey Everyone! I will be leaving my wedding wearing my wedding gown all the way to the airport and on the flight, all the way to London. I won't take it off until FH and I check in to our hotel, where I can comfortably take off my dress in the room. FH will also be in his suit all the way.  What's your opinion on it? Below is my dress: 
    Posted by iamemogerl[/QUOTE]

assuming your flight is more than 30 minutes i think you'll want to kill yourself 45 minutes into the flight.

• Options
    I'd recommend changing.  Unless you want to be judged by most people that see you, and make more hassles for yourself with security, change your dress.  It's nice that you want attention, but the people at the airport probably don't give a crap it's your wedding.

I still haven't decided if I'll change after my reception, but then again we've got a 15 minute drive straight to the hotel.  That's it.  Not a flight across an ocean.  Even then I'd rather be comfy than in my wedding dress still.  For a 15 minute car ride.  How could you even consider a multiple hour flight in one?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    I just made plans with my FI to go to London next month.  I'm wearing what I always wear when I fly to see him: jeans, a shirt with at least one layer (I always get cold on planes) and ballet flats.   It's perfectly servicable, and I look put together when I land.  Best part: Border Control never gives me any problems.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OP if you go through with this idea.... will you take pictures for us please?
  • Options
    I'm going to have to agree with everyone else... It would make you seem desperate for attention. We have about a 20 min ride to our hotel after the reception so I will be wearing my dress in, but it will be late and hopefully not many people will be out and about, especially with where we are going. Honestly, I already know I'm going to feel weird in it just walking in... I couldn't imagine a long plane flight!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wedding-gown-exit-to-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:76aa68bf-48f6-4242-8da8-76a69594d265Post:6835fa2b-8744-4b34-a8a7-9f1b61721e9d">Re: Wedding Gown Exit to Honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your dress is pretty. Please don't wear it on a plane. You will be uncomfortable, embarrass yourself (AW much?) and trash your dress. How silly will you feel standing in line at customs, or waiting at the gate, or trying to get your bag from the overhead? How annoyed will people be when you climb over them to use the bathroom and they get a face full of tulle, or their arms tickled by your ruffles?
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

Not to mention, plane bathrooms are always annoying and awkward.  I would never want to pee in one wearing a full length white dress.

Plus planes are cold.
  • Options
    And I just thought, since it is an overnight flight the OP will most likely fall asleep and I don't know about the rest of you, but when I fall asleep on a plane for a few hours I wake up not looking so wonderful. 

I couldn't imagine getting off the plane, going through customs, etc looking like a just-woke-up-hot-mess in my wedding gown.  OP, in your mind you may think that you and your FI will still look amazing when you land but you need to come back to reality and take a good look at yourself in the mirror when you first wake up in the morning because that is what you are going to look like when you get off the plane.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wedding-gown-exit-to-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:76aa68bf-48f6-4242-8da8-76a69594d265Post:b1da3ff8-07e9-4597-8dfb-ec9c1318538b">Re: Wedding Gown Exit to Honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]And I just thought, since it is an overnight flight the OP will most likely fall asleep and I don't know about the rest of you, but when I fall asleep on a plane for a few hours I wake up not looking so wonderful.  I couldn't imagine getting off the plane, going through customs, etc looking like a just-woke-up-hot-mess in my wedding gown.  OP, in your mind you may think that you and your FI will still look amazing when you land but you need to come back to reality and take a good look at yourself in the mirror when you first wake up in the morning because <strong>that is what you are going to look like when you get off the plane.</strong>
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

This is why I requested pictures.
  • Options
    Let me know how peeing in an airplane bathroom in a wedding gown goes. 
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wedding-gown-exit-to-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:76aa68bf-48f6-4242-8da8-76a69594d265Post:fff64032-d5a7-4eba-b848-a88b9c675773">Re: Wedding Gown Exit to Honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Let me know how peeing in an airplane bathroom in a wedding gown goes. 
    Posted by allychase[/QUOTE]

I choked on my water when I read that.

With all due respect, OP, I would seriously rethink this. My last transatlantic flight (San Diego to Dublin last January ) was turbulent as Hell and I was uncomfortable even in jeans and a hoodie. I cannot imagine using an airplane restroom in your wedding gown, not to mention WOW how uncomfortable will wearing a wedding gown for all that time be? Regardless of what your fellow passengers might think, I really think you may want to reconsider...

Listen to the fellow posters: TSA is going to pull you aside for extra screenings. Prepare to strip down from your wedding dress and be questioned. Restroom. And again...wouldn't you be more comfy in something else? If you want to explore London in your wedding gown, why not put it on the next day and walk around the city when you land?

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I assume this is a joke.

this is only appropriate if you're on your own private plane. If so, you go girl!

• Options
    LOL!  I would crack up if I saw this on a flight (assuming you weren't sitting next to me)!

However, I can't imagine doing that on an overnight flight (as most eastbound trans-Atlantic flights are).  A fitted bodice is not going to be very conducive to sleep, even if you're in a flat-bed business or first class seat.  If you're in economy... 

I've done a daytime trans-Atlantic in a garter belt and stockings once (What can I say? It was a date!) and after a few hours of having little bits of clothing poking me in uncomfortable places, I realized that even though I can fly in fairly uncomfortable or dressy clothes, there is a limit to what can be tolerated.

But good luck to you!

PS - Are you also going to wear the dress home?  Or are you going to leave it in London?  Or are you planning to bring an extra piece of empty luggage , so that you can check it on the way home?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards