Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Does taste testing cost anything?

Does it cost anything to taste test food from a caterer??  (caterer that is separate from venue)

Re: Does taste testing cost anything?

• Options
    This varies from location to location.  Ours was free for the bride & groom but was $25 per person for the parents
  • Options
    it varies.

We booked our reception first so our food was free for up to 4 people.  We paid for our drinks though. (restaurant catered our reception).    If we had the tasting before we booked we would have been charged and then got a credit if we booked.   
    (Apparently they had a problem with people who pretended they wanted to book something only for a free meal.)

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Some, as lynda mentioned, have been burned too many times by people who are only pretending to be looking for a caterer. Some do it entirely for free. One caterer we're considering schedules free group tastings. Basically, they rent a reception hall for an evening and invite lots of possible clients to taste the food all at once. [I'm not liking this set-up, though I see how smart it is for the caterer, and customers get to see how they put on a whole event.]
  • Options
    I would say that typically it does, but if you go to a Bridal show, they normally have cake vendors there with free samples. Also, I went to one place expecting to have to pay & then they were super nice & they didn't have us pay for the cupcakes.
  • Options
    Our cake tasting is free but the food tasting is $15 per person after the bride and groom.

We're also having 24 dishes not including dessert; I'm not sure what that's going to look like for a tasting but I'm curious as well...
    Vacation White Knot
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards