Getting in Shape

Scarsdale?

I have a bit of a dilemma:  FH and I are both wanting to shed some pounds before the big day.  30 pounds in my case and with almost 5 months before my first fitting I see no reason why that is an impossible goal.  After knocking around on the internet my FFIL's doctor recommended the Scarsdale Medical Diet for him, and although I usually go out of my way to ignore whatever health information is given to me by men who are 6'5" and way 120lbs, if you are not at a healthy weight yourself why would I listen to you.  This diet does seem to be good.  I am not really very good at normal dieting because if given choices on what I am going to eat I can't decide and end up just not eating anything until I am starving and then eat whatever is in my way like a carton of ice cream or a block of cheese, not good, as such I like the restrictive nature of this diet.  If I know in the morning what I am having every meal of the day it is easier for me. I am a little concerned though.  Any diet that specifies that it is a bad idea for you to be on it more than two weeks at a time cannot really be a good idea.  Can it?
My plan is to portion and calorie control with MFP so things do not get crazy and up my exercise. 

The actual question in this long ramble is: Does anyone have any experience with the Scarsdale Medical Diet, and or does this sound like a viable plan?

Re: Scarsdale?

• I have a little experience with Scarsdale.

This has been my mom's "go-to" diet since like 1987. She loves it because when she sticks to it, she loses weight. She also gains it back after the diet every single time. For this reason she tries to do it for longer periods with not little success. I don't know the specific reason why you aren't supposed to do it for more than 2 weeks at a time but I agree wtih you..2 week diets are no good, you should be more concerned with a life-style change.

Since my mom has been on the diet on and off for a long time I have kind of 2nd hand dieted on  it just because that's what she would cook when I was growing up. The food sucks. You can eat much tastier stuff and still lose weight if you are smart with it.

If what appeals to you is knowing what you'll eat at the end of the day why don't you just meal plan for a week at a time. Sit down for an hour tomorrow and plan out what you'll eat the rest of the week. Make a list of what you'll need, go shopping and then no excuses. You'll have everything ready. Good luck!
    June 16, 2012
  • I'm not very knowledgeable on that particular diet but the list of cons I found would be enough to convince me not to do it.

There are also cons in the Medical Scarsdale Diet:
    -         First of all, it is a restriction of many kinds of foods and poor food choices consequently lack of essential minerals, vitamins and trace element, for example, little iron, calcium and riboflavin because of milk, bread and cereals restriction, the lack of fat and dairy products may cause nutritional imbalances;
    -         Possible dehydration of the whole organism since the allowed liquids are limited to tea, coffee and water (tea and coffee have an diuretic effect; e. g. you'll lose more fluid than you consume);
    -         There are no clinical studies to support the scientific background and soundness of this diet plan. No scientific research has ever been conducted to prove that the weight loss occurs because of chemical balance and unique combination of nutritional macroelements and not due to the pure reduction of daily calorie consumption;
    -         The Scarsdale Diet is too low in calories (about 800-1000 kcal a day in comparison to about 2000-2500 kcal recommended daily intake) and too high in protein to be healthy. The weight loss really occurs but the weight will be regained back after the returning to real food and old eating habits;
    -         Encouragement to use herbal appetite suppressant which can be dangerous for people with heart disease or kidney problems.
  • Agree with PP - sounds like you would be better served meal planning than attempting this gimmick.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_scarsdale?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:3ec7ebf1-46ab-4ffc-97ce-61be17bf2d6bPost:c2f339d2-2ad9-4443-8720-06d4026db193">Scarsdale?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a bit of a dilemma:  FH and I are both wanting to shed some pounds before the big day.  30 pounds in my case and with almost 5 months before my first fitting I see no reason why that is an impossible goal.  After knocking around on the internet my FFIL's doctor recommended the Scarsdale Medical Diet for him, and although I usually go out of my way to ignore whatever health information is given to me by men who are 6'5" and way 120lbs, if you are not at a healthy weight yourself why would I listen to you.  This diet does seem to be good.  I am not really very good at normal dieting because if given choices on what I am going to eat I can't decide and end up just not eating anything until I am starving and then eat whatever is in my way like a carton of ice cream or a block of cheese, not good, as such I like the restrictive nature of this diet.  If I know in the morning what I am having every meal of the day it is easier for me. I am a little concerned though.  Any diet that specifies that it is a bad idea for you to be on it more than two weeks at a time cannot really be a good idea.  Can it? <strong>My plan is to portion and calorie control with MFP so things do not get crazy and up my exercise. </strong> The actual question in this long ramble is: Does anyone have any experience with the Scarsdale Medical Diet, and or does this sound like a viable plan?
    Posted by OurMrsReynolds[/QUOTE]

<div>Stick with the bolded and ignore the rest.</div><div>
    </div><div>Side note:  Check out the Recipes area of MFP in the community section.  There are a ton of great healthy recipes :)</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards