Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

First dance - song length?

My FI and I are crazy about "Little Wing" by Jimi Hendrix - it has sentimental meaning to us, and he is a guitarist so of course he loves the idea of using Little Wing for our first dance. I like the fact that it's non-traditional, a little edgy, but still sweet and slow enough to dance to.

It would be perfect for our first dance, but I'm concerned about the length. It is 2:24. Is that too short? I've heard that a first dance should be approximately 3-3/12 minutes. Is 2 1/2 minutes too short?
Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!

Re: First dance - song length?

• Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I was expecting you to say the opposite, that the song is too long. That length sounds fine, personally.
  • edited December 2011
    I think that is a perfect length as well.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your input! I have heard that it feels like FOREVER when you are up there dancing, with all eyes on you. So I think we will keep it short and sweet. Just enough time for a few photos :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • edited December 2011
    I actually went to a wedding where for both the 1st dance and father daughter dance the dj kind of faded out the song. The bride didn't like being up there and wanted to move on. I thought that was a good idea. I feel like it is almost awkward both to be up there or be the one watching. Cute song!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with PP, that the length sounds perfect. I have heard of people actually cutting down the length of the song, because your guests don't want to watch you dance for so long!
  • edited December 2011
    Agree - the shorter the better!  We aren't even doing the dances at our wedding because I find it boring (thats just my opionion)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards