Military Brides

Re: deleted...

• Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is pretty military oriented, the Chaplain will be USN, FI will be in MC Dress Blues, MOH will be in AF Mess Dress, as will a groomsman, another groomsman is Army, and a good friend of mine who is in the Army National Guard will be in the sword arch, along with Marines. 

So, I'm all for military weddings. That being said, I think the kids in costume is probably a little over the top. Our ring bearer/flower boy is wearing a seersucker eton suit. If we had a flower girl, she would've been in a Sailor dress, but not a costumey one, just a regular one.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The toddler eton suit we're purchasing is $50. I agree, don't rent a children's tux, they're much cheaper to purchase.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    edited December 2011

ID tags are used to identify dead soldiers.  I wouldn't want to put them on a cake or use them as a decoration.  To me, it would be tacky, JMO.
    I also agree with Stan about the kids looking costume-y.  I realize your wedding is casual, but do you really want it to look kitchy? 
    Keep it simple.  I would go with  cute $50 suit.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Uh... the whole PURPOSE of dog tags it to identify dead soldiers... they don't wear them for a fashion statement, everthing in the military uniform serves a purpose, and that IS the purpose of dog tags.  So yeah, I also would think it's rather morbid at a wedding.  Just saying, that's our perspectives - and there will probably be a few people at your wedding who think similarly.  It's ultimately your decision, but don't discount how we view it - there are others who view it the same way, and your family won't tell it to your face but will likely talk about these things behind your back.  It's why we're all honest here, rather than patting each other on the back for ideas we don't like.

Pick a cute little kid's suit that he'll be comfortable in and just give him a gold tie - it'll match nicely with the gold in the buttons on the dress blues.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, an eton suit is just with the shorts, but we're having an August wedding in CA. You can easily find an inexpensive kid suit, just look around! I bet there will be good deals just after Easter, just make sure to buy a size that he will be rather than what he is now (obvs.).
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    what kind of center pieces are you having? if you have something like a vase maybe you could take a ribbon and tie them around the vases like a charm...i was born a military brat, both parents 20 plus years...my brothers also are in the army..dog tags can symbolize whatever you want them to. my daughter has a pair of her daddys dog tags her fav. teddy bear!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_need-decorating-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ddaa2f3d-53af-478a-a851-b35736c39b10Post:f0cf38f8-01d2-4228-ba60-f7a54ffb4cbe">Re: Need a decorating idea...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Uh... the whole PURPOSE of dog tags it to identify dead soldiers... they don't wear them for a fashion statement, everthing in the military uniform serves a purpose, and that IS the purpose of dog tags.  So yeah, I also would think it's rather morbid at a wedding.  Just saying, that's our perspectives - and there will probably be a few people at your wedding who think similarly.  It's ultimately your decision, but don't discount how we view it - there are others who view it the same way, and your family won't tell it to your face but will likely talk about these things behind your back.  It's why we're all honest here, rather than patting each other on the back for ideas we don't like. Pick a cute little kid's suit that he'll be comfortable in and just give him a gold tie - it'll match nicely with the gold in the buttons on the dress blues.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]
    <p class="MsoNormal">I agree with you completely. It is a little morbid and might bother some people.
    Maybe you can incorporate more Military colors? Use cami cloth  to cover the stems on your bouquet? I've seen a few brides add their FI's branch colors to their centerpieces with ribbons. Hope this helps! </p>
  • Options
    duggan12duggan12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok so I'm not gonna touch the whole dog tag issue if its acceptable to you and your family go for it. There are lots of things you can do to add military vibes to your decor. I think you said he was army? we used a lot of green in table clothes, ribbons, things like that. if you type "army wedding decorations" into google tons of ideas pop up.  They do sets in the digital camo that has a garter, ring pillow, guestbook,flowergirl basket and unity candle (you can get those seperatley) Hortense and Hewitt does a really nice set. (also available in the olive green) As for the little boy I personally would recommend the suit. It will photograph better with fi's class a's. Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards