Catholic Weddings
Options

Ack! Priests pulled a switcheroo...

Ok- this is just a venting post!

We went to our church and were just going to get married by the priest there- we didn't know him personally or anything. We first went back in January (we're getting married in October). He told us we had tons of time, and we'd only need to take the FOCCUS test, do an engaged retreat, have a meeting with him to discuss the foccus test, and then a meeting to discuss the ceremony.

Fast forward to July- I get a call from a priest I've never heard of saying our old priest left the parish and he's going to be marrying us now! We had an initial meeting with him- during which he told us he requires 5 meetings on aspects of catholic marriage, a planning meeting, the engaged encounter, and NFP classes (3 classes a month apart of 2.5 hours each). 

I know the initial priest was really laid back, but in less than three months all this meeting/planning is a LOT to do, especially since my FI works till 9pm 6 days/week. The priest agreed to let us do an online or at home NFP course (since the three month course would end after our wedding). He's a nice guy- but AAAHHH!!!!

Re: Ack! Priests pulled a switcheroo...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That is a bummer. It's good your venting here. Stay calm in your dealings with the Priest. Remember that marriage is a Sacrament - a means of receiving God's inestimable Grace. On some level, no hoop is too high to receive God's Grace.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would be super stressed and upset too!  It seems like you understand that this new priest's requirements aren't unreasonable, but you're just upset that you don't have a realistic window of time to complete it. 

Gosh, that's tough, but hopefully you'll be able to enjoy some aspects of pre-cana, even if it is stressful to get it done so quickly.  Good luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The priest that was supposed to marry us left the church as well! Although I am lucky enough that it was over a year before the wedding but i am hoping that this priest will go along with what we have already discussed with the last priest
    Sept 2012 May Siggy
    Honeymoon in Mexico

292474_f520 Wedding Countdown TickerLilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely agree that this is a lot to fit in in your last 3 months, especially with your fi's work schedule!  Perhaps see if he'd be willing to condense some of your meetings with him into fewer slightly longer meetings for when both you and fi are available?  I'll pray that he's flexible with you guys because the last three months before the wedding are usually crazy.  Hang in there!!  It's definitely worth it in the end :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the positive thoughts girls!  I'm glad we'll get to know him better since he'll be marrying us, so I'm trying to look at the bright side :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards