Wedding Party
Options

too soo to purchase bridesmaid dresses?

I am getting married August 6, 2011, is it too early to have my girls get their dresses?  I fell in love with one and am afraid that it will be discontinued by this August or later.

Re: too soo to purchase bridesmaid dresses?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_soo-purchase-bridesmaid-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:4906f755-b0f4-448a-8a5e-d1bad4f4675ePost:62210bfc-a3e6-4f6e-8bea-192862c8d1e9">Re: too soo to purchase bridesmaid dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]. A lot of salons will tell you that a style will be discontinued in order to pressure you into buying it OMGRIGHTNOW. A lot of times, they're lying. 
    Posted by mbcdefg[/QUOTE]

<div>So true.  I fell for it when buying my wedding dress.  The salon told me that the style would be discontinued "soon" and so I bought it. Totally loved it and would buy the dress again if I had to do it over.  But guess which dress I saw brides trying on six months later when my BMs and I came to the same shop to buy their BM dresses?  Yup, same one.  </div>
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    My bm's actually would love to purchase their dresses now, they just want to make sure its what I like.  I, however, never thought of having them try it on first.  Will have them do that to see if it looks good on them.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_soo-purchase-bridesmaid-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:4906f755-b0f4-448a-8a5e-d1bad4f4675ePost:ee8d9e14-6c38-40b0-87e7-1d0bf9f1e8d4">Re: too soo to purchase bridesmaid dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My bm's actually would love to purchase their dresses now, they just want to make sure its what I like.  I, however, never thought of having them try it on first.  Will have them do that to see if it looks good on them.
    Posted by kjk2680[/QUOTE]
    Please still wait.  Weight can fluctuate so easily.  I do not weigh anywhere close to what I did a year ago.  Also, pregnancy happens and you will be back on here whining about your pregnant bridesmaid who now cannot fit into the dress you LOVE.   I promise there will be plenty for you to fall in love with in 8 months.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You need to make sure that it's in their budgets (ask them individually first) and then ask them to try it on.

But I'd still avoid doing this.  

If any of your friends are sexually active then there is a chance that they could be pregnant for the time of your wedding.  I'm 13 weeks pregnant now.  There is NO way I'd agree to buying a dress for a wedding next year.  I have zero clue as to the size I'll be.

If I were you, I'd wait until at least the start of the year....even if you all go to the store after Christmas and say, "This is still it!"
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_soo-purchase-bridesmaid-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:4906f755-b0f4-448a-8a5e-d1bad4f4675ePost:ee8d9e14-6c38-40b0-87e7-1d0bf9f1e8d4">Re: too soo to purchase bridesmaid dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My bm's actually would love to purchase their dresses now, they just want to make sure its what I like.  I, however, never thought of having them try it on first.  Will have them do that to see if it looks good on them.
    Posted by kjk2680[/QUOTE]

<div>You never thought to have them try it on?  That seems weird to me.</div><div>
    </div><div>Anyway, still wait.  I'm glad they are eager but you'll save everyone a lot of headaches if you wait until a more appropriate time.</div>
  • Options
    Yup, I agree with everyone who says wait.

And DEFINITELY have them try it on. The dress that had been everyone's favorite online looked like a shiny bathrobe on my friends, and they ended up finding a dress that we hadn't previously seen that looked great on all of their different body types.
  • Options
    There's no reason to buy now, so why not just wait and see what else comes along?  Like malphabet said, I bet you anything it's a design you can find elsewhere and it is VERY unlikely that it will get discontinued.

If you do all the WP stuff now, what do you have to look forward to?  The BMs have a dress collecting dust for over a year that may or may not fit when the time comes, and you may find they've been burned out by doing wedding stuff for over the year so that when it comes down to it, they aren't as excited as they might otherwise have been.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards