Catholic Weddings

meeting pastor tomorrow!

Hi there! My FI and I are meeting with the pastor tomorrow, and we are a little nervous. We both were baptized and had communion, but never confirmed. We both however have always wanted to be married in the church, are willing to undergo any steps necessary. We are having our reception close to 2 hours away, and are hoping to find a church in that area that will marry us. We found one willing to meet with us, but we do not know what to expect. 

FI is concerned about what questions we will be asked and how to answer them. We live together, and know that is frowned upon before marriage. A married friend told us to lie when answering these sort of questions or they may not marry us, however I am not comfortable lying to a pastor. What types of questions should we expect?

Re: meeting pastor tomorrow!

• doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Whatever you do, don't lie.  Some priests will give you a lecture about living together but will marry you anyway (like ours did).  Some will ask you to make a change to your living arrangements, and some will flat out choose to not marry you.  But seriously, don't lie!

Don't be intimidated by the pastor.  He will just ask you questions about you and your FI to get to know you better (priests like to know about the people they're marrying so they're confident it will be a solid union).

Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    DON'T lie.

That is not a good way to start off your marriage...by lying to the person who is marrying you!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We will be honest and hope for the best. It's so close! Excited and nervous at the same time!
  • HandBananaHandBanana member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Basic questions.  Nothing too crazy.  You'll be fine.

Ditto on the don't lie.

We live together and told the priest.  He said "You know, I stopped yelling about that a while ago.  At least you are getting married." and he laughed.

Also, I think he had already figured out that we live together because we aren't married but attend mass at 9am every Sunday.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    It went so well! He is willing to marry us!!! We have our church! He was so understanding of everything, and made us fell like we are a part of the parish already. Thanks for all the help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards