Illinois-Chicago
Options

Stood up by the DJ

Sorry it's taken me a bit to post this (on vacay after it happened, then a hellish week at work) but other brides should know.

The fiance and I had a meeting w/ Rodrigo Alvear of Windy City Mix on Mon  29 Sept at 9:30 am at the Panera on the corner of Harlem and Lake Street.  We were there at 9:25 am (the location was an hour away from where we were staying btw). Before we sat down, we waked around the Panera looking for anyone who might be looking to meet someone (we were pretty obvious, a guy and girl, and the girl had a huge binder labeled "wedding binder") but no one looked like they were waiting for nayone, and no one looked up at us, so we figured they weren't there.  We took the 1st table closest to the door so we could see everyone coming in and out and look out the window.

At 9:45am my finace left a VM on Rodrigo's number asking if he was still meeting.  the phone rang once and went to voicemail.

We waited until 10:05 am and never received a return phonecall or return email.  After gettign ticked off and stood up, we called again, stated the time and said we were leaving. 

After that, my fiance got an email at 10:30am from Rodrigo saying "we were there, where were you.  we were there from 9am to 10 am and didnt see you.:

What the hell?  not even a phone call? isn't it to their professional advantage to call back on an apparantly "late" appointment?  no, no real follow up except a ditant and glib email. 

My fiance emailed back saying we were there five minutes early, called after 15 minutes, and left after 10 am without hearing anything. 

they emailed back (yes, they had his number to phone, but opted to email anyway) and the jist of their email was "oh whoops, sorry, if you choose to use us in the future, we'll give you $100 off"

You couldn't PAY me to use you for my wedding.  If you could easily blow off an interview, what makes me think you are capable of professionally handling my wedding.

Up yours Windy City Mix.  At least you made it easier for us to rule you out.\

Ladies of Chicago: beware.

- J
"What greater thing is there for two human souls than to feel that they are joined...to strengthen each other... to be one with each other in silent, unspeakable memories." -George Eliot

Re: Stood up by the DJ

• Options
    barbbhowwbarbbhoww member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yuck !!  That stinks, I'm sorry!
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    BetsyGIles19BetsyGIles19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the same experience with Apple DJ.  I was a bit hesitant at first to meet with him because on our phone call he was weirdly insistant my fiance be there.  My fiance lives over 30 minutes away and he's not going to meet up for just one appt.

He told me to meet at his office in Oak Brook.  I had a bunch of errands I could run over there so I left early to do them.  I get to the place and I was wandering around trying to find his office and was finally directed up to where his office was supposed to be.  The secretary up there told me they hadn't been in the location for a long time!  So I wait downstairs in the lobby to see if maybe he would show up.  Waited 30 minutes and nothing.  

I get home and have a message on my other phone from about 30 minutes before our meeting time saying he needs to reschedule and I should call him.  I was really pissed.  If I don't call you back use your brain and think I didn't get the message!  OH he also had the gall to call me a week or so ago trying to make another appointment HA! I didn't call him back after the first I'm sure not going to call him now.

• Options
    mspetitebridemspetitebride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh no! Horrible...and they are my DJs!! But I didn't set up any appt. with them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear that! We used them for our wedding last weekend and we had an amazing experience with them from start to finish. Always responsive and day-of were fantastic. I'm so surprised and sorry they dropped the ball with you.
  • Options
    jg2eajg2ea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I met w/ Rodrigo at Panera too. He were waiting for about 10 mins for him outside (since we were early). Finally, I went inside and he was sitting there the whole time (which we didn't know!)

He's been very responsive to emails so I'm surprised you had a bad experience.
  • Options
    mrsnormlewismrsnormlewis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your first clue is meeting at a Panera.  A reliable company has an established office.  Did you meet your venue contact at a Panera!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had Rodrigo for a wedding emergency, and he just showed up on time. I am so surprised about it, he was just sooooooooo attentive and responsive, but it is your decision. Good luck! =)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_stood-up-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:7ee165f6-dd7c-48f6-a597-29c355fc3ae5Post:6ce75a0a-04bd-47c8-9c97-9053576eb7af">Re: Stood up by the DJ</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your first clue is meeting at a Panera. <strong> A reliable company has an established office.</strong>  Did you meet your venue contact at a Panera!
    Posted by mrsnormlewis[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Not always--retail space is $$$ and if I can save money by a vendor not charging me b/c they have rent to pay in addition to their time/expertise, then fine by me.  Both my MU/hair stylists' and photographer do not have established offices, but both come HIGHLY recommended and have been nothing but professional (in fact, I had my MU/hair trail today on their only day off; they did it for me b/c I took my e-pics today; also, no problems w/ the pics, despite not having an established office).  P.S. we went our DJ at a local coffee place by our house w/o an issue.  

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My food blog!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 September Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_stood-up-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:7ee165f6-dd7c-48f6-a597-29c355fc3ae5Post:af5b67b2-5900-4792-a6ab-1c66143b3081">Re: Stood up by the DJ</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stood up by the DJ : Not always--retail space is $$$ and if I can save money by a vendor not charging me b/c they have rent to pay in addition to their time/expertise, then fine by me.  Both my MU/hair stylists' and photographer do not have established offices, but both come HIGHLY recommended and have been nothing but professional (in fact, I had my MU/hair trail today on their only day off; they did it for me b/c I took my e-pics today; also, no problems w/ the pics, despite not having an established office).  P.S. we went our DJ at a local coffee place by our house w/o an issue.  
    Posted by motogrl13[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I met every vendor but my venue, limo co, & bakery at an off-site space. The only vendor I had ANY issue with was limo & even that was nothing. All my off-site meeting vendors were phenomenal...and quite a bit less expensive.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess that is why there is yelp!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that!  If you are still looking for a DJ, I am using David Rothstein Music, Inc. DRS.  He recently told me he is participating at The Wedding Salon at The W City Center!  Is anyone going?  I am planning on registering this afternoon!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm going! I already registered. You should register right away because I heard there is already a ton of brides going because it is the best bridal show out there and I wouldn't want you to miss your change to attend. I don't know if they have a limit to the number of brides who are allowed?? But anyway, I heard David Rothstein Music was a great musician. I'm debating whether to use him for my wedding (definintely a top choice)!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards