Wedding Party
Options

How long should I wait?

I'm starting to look for bridesmaid dresses (ok, I have already picked out the ones I like) and I wanted to clear budget with my wedding party before I get my heart really set on something. I have talked to two of the three and okay'ed their budgets. I phrased it as "under $200" not " I really like this dress, it's $***. Can you afford it?" But I haven't heard from bridesmaid number three. And it's been two weeks. I know she is busy and my wedding isn't (nor should it be) her number one priority. But I would like to go shopping and try dresses on with my in-town bridesmaid pretty soon.

How long should I wait before I start shopping?

Re: How long should I wait?

• Options
    You still have a lot of time until January 2011, so I wouldn't put the pressure on her just yet. You won't really hit crunch time until the summer or even early fall.

Try touching base with her and don't mention the wedding at all ... then, if you feel like you can work it into the conversation (or into a second phone call), ask if she's had a chance to think about price points yet.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_long-should-wait?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:a97e8c43-2090-4d43-b584-7e0fc2c9dc8dPost:712d5c01-3661-4e15-b0a3-6622e2d7cef3">How long should I wait?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm starting to look for bridesmaid dresses (ok, I have already picked out the ones I like) and I wanted to clear budget with my wedding party before I get my heart really set on something. I have talked to two of the three and okay'ed their budgets. I phrased it as "under $200" not " I really like this dress, it's $***. Can you afford it?" But I haven't heard from bridesmaid number three. And it's been two weeks. I know she is busy and my wedding isn't (nor should it be) her number one priority. But I would like to go shopping and try dresses on with my in-town bridesmaid pretty soon. How long should I wait before I start shopping?
    Posted by khornack[/QUOTE]

Your wedding is not until January so there is a LOT of time before anyone has to worry about BM dresses.

BM dresses could wait until about 4 months before the wedding - some shops will tell you they'll take 2 months to come in (as mine did - in reality, they came in 2 weeks later) and then your girls have time to get them altered, etc. But you can hold off on this for awhile still.

Don't worry about your friend just yet...to her, it's probably no big rush since your wedding isn't until next winter.
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Options
    You have plenty of time to get a response.  She doesn't need to tell you now.  10 months out is plenty of time for her to get back to you and for you to change your mind.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    You still have plenty of time. Remember that new styles will be coming out for January 2011 around July-August. You may find something that you like more. Also, depending on the designer, the dress you have chosen may be discontinued by your wedding date and you won't be able to find it anywhere.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    The problem is I will be starting grad school out of state pretty soon, and while I don't expect them to order the dresses now, I want as much as possible done by the end of May.
  • Options
    Rather than phrase it as "It's under 200" have you just asked the "what can YOU AFFORD?" It was nice that you phrased it better than "this is the dress and it costs $199 so pony up the bash, biitches!" but I can see how leaving it as an up in the air number can scare people. I would still ask each girl WHAT can you afford rather than a checkmark box.

Also, you don't need to order bms dresses until probably June or July of 2011. It depends on the designer, but most bms dresses take between 3-4 months to come in and some take up to 6 months.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    Rather than say, "This is what I like.  What do you think?"  How about saying, "Hey, ,what's your budet including alterations?"
  • Options
    Thanks everybody. It figures, as soon as I post she called me back. I've been really careful in the way I worded it, to make sure that they didn't feel like they had to say 'yes' to an "under $200" (yes that includes shipping and minor alterations like length) budget. I also have a small bridal party with very close friends that I talk to about anything. They know if something comes up and they can't afford it, I'll help out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards