Massachusetts-Cape Cod

Catholic Churchs

My FI and I are looking to get married on the Cape in 2011. It would be a "destination" wedding of sorts for us as we are from NJ but his family has a house in Orleans. We love Chatham and the surrounding areas. Anyone have any experiences with Catholic Churches doing your ceremony in that area? We are obviously not parishioners, so the Church would not have to be strict about that. 

Re: Catholic Churchs

• luvoo41488luvoo41488 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Catholic Church in Chatham isn't exceptionally picturesque, in my opinion. It does provide a lot of nice reception options though. I can't speak for Orleans, the few pictures I could pull up on google looked pretty though. If you're willing to expand your search, St Pius X in Yarmouth is GORGEOUS if you're looking for something large, and the Our Lady of Hope chapel in West Barnstable is sweet (old and brick) for a smaller ceremony. 

• edited December 2011

We are looking to have a smaller ceremony and I looked up the church you mentioned in West Barnstable....how cute! I love the brick. Thank you so much for the suggestions. We are thinking of having the reception either at CBI or Ocean Edge so I am just concerned that the Church may be too far from those sites? Will definitely have to check it out in person tho.

• caseyrusscaseyruss member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are getting married at St Joan of Arc Church in Orleans. We've met with Father Bob already and he was very nice and friendly. This might be a good option for you if you are considering a reception at CBI or Ocean's Edge, I think it wou ld be about a 15 minute drive at the most to the church from either of these locations. St Joan of Arc has a website with a few pictures of the inside and out. The stained glass windows are beautiful! Good luck in your search!
  • edited December 2011
    That is a good suggestion, thank you. I sent Father Bob an email because I was concerned that he might not accept non-parionshers, but that does not seem to be a problem. I looked at the website and it looks nice - when are you getting married there? We were looking at May/June 2011.
  • edited December 2011
    I am in love with the Immaculate Conception Chapel in Brewster, right down the street from Ocean Edge. It's small and only fits about 125 people comfortably, but in the same parish there is also Our Lady of the Cape. I spoke to the priest there (father Bernie I think)  and he was very nice and didn't have a problem with us being non-parishoners, but we ended up booking a reception venue that was too far to have the ceremony there. The chapel is just so beautiful.

I also loved Ocean Edge when we looked at it, but unfortunately it was just a little too expensive.
  • edited December 2011
    I got married at the Immaculate Conception Chapel in Brewster last spring, and it was lovely.  I think it fits more like 200 or 250 guests...  the center section alone seats about 80 and there are two more wings off to the right and left. 
  • edited December 2011
    Yup-- CCBelle is right about the numbers. Sorry. It's so pretty.
  • caseyrusscaseyruss member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married there in June next year. We are not parishoners either, so that isn't a problem at all. That was part of the reason we are getting married there...the Catholic church in Chatham wouldn't take non-parishoners. Father Bob has been great so far. My fiance and I went to a Sunday mass over the summer at Joan of Arc and the music was beautiful! Art McManus is the music director and also seems very friendly. The other thing is that Father Bob had no problem with us taking the pre-cana class outside of the Fall River Diocese, which made it very easy on us. We found a class in Boston that was walking distance from our apartment! Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • edited December 2011
    That is great to know about the pre-cana classes as we would have to take those in NJ at our local church. We have been there before as well and it is very pretty and I think that would be a good option considering we plan on having the reception in Chatham. We are not getting married until 2011 - so any feedback you can give me after your wedding would be greatly appreciated! Where are you having your reception?
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Our Lady of the Assumption in Osterville

May be too far in for your but the church is absolutely perfect, the soloist & organist are fantastic and there is no charge for the church other than paying the soloist & organist.  They also welcome those outside the parish. Amazinging find!

You may do your pre Cana elsewhere after an interview with their in house advisor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards