Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Picking a date and conflict etiquette

The first thing my FI and I did when we decided to get engaged was decide upon a date. We have immediate family all over the country and it's really important that all of them are there to share our day with us. My mom and her side of the family live on the West Coast, my dad and his side live on the East, and my FI's siblings and family splits the same way. We decided that the best time would be a holiday weekend so everyone would have enough time to get to our wedding location (Montana), wavering between either the fourth of July weekend (which also happens to be my birthday) and memorial day weekend of 2011 (after I finish grad school). We decided that memorial day weekend would be best because July is tourist season and flights and hotels increase in price by a good $100.

I just found out that my cousin who has been engaged for the past two and a half years has finally decided on his wedding date. Which is memorial day weekend this year (2010). They've changed their date a bunch of times and have been rather wishy washy about the whole thing, and I don't know why they've settled on this date since all of their family and friends live in VA and their having the wedding in VA.

Should we consider changing our date for them now so our wedding won't fall on their anniversary date?

I hardly talk to this cousin at all. I see him maybe once a year or every other year, and I've met his fiance once. We grew up on opposite ends of the country and never had anything in common. Of course I would have invited them to the wedding. I only have three cousins. My dad has three siblings and they are the only aunts and uncles that I have. I'm close to my aunts and see them and talk to them regularly. I'm just not close to their children.

Bottom line: I won't be hurt or offended if any of them can't make it to the wedding, but it's still polite and I would love to have my family all together only because I know how much it would mean to my dad and his siblings. But I don't expect them to make the trip all the way out to Montana. This cousin in particular didn't travel to Canada for our other cousins's wedding and he was a groomsman in the wedding.

Here are the reasons why memorial day weekend is important:
1. FI's siblings and I are teachers. We have the summer off. There are three holidays that fall within the summer: Fourth of July, Memorial day, and Labor Day.
Fourth of July is too expensive. By Labor day, classes are getting ready to start and we have meetings and orientations. If we get married on Labor day, my FI and I won't get to have a honeymoon until the following summer.

2. My parents and his parents are all still working. As are our closest friends. The less time they have to take off from work the better. In my father's case, he will hopefully be starting a new job (he was recently laid off). With new jobs, you have a limited amount of time off. Worst case scenario: dad can fly in on the saturday, we get married Sunday evening, and he flies back on the Monday. I am NOT getting married without my dad.

3. The weather is nicer in May in Motana than July and August (well August is nice, but it just won't work).

So, is it okay to share a wedding anniversary with a cousin? Or is this going to cause a problem?

Re: Picking a date and conflict etiquette

• Options
    I only read your post up to the bold question.  No you don't need to change your date because it might fall on their anniversary.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, it will be fine. Maybe they'll be happy to have a reason to go away for their anniversary. I think there are a lot of girls here who have attended weddings on their first anniversaries... it's silly to expect that people will hold the date forever.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I didn't read all of this but I think it's fine to have your wedding on Memorial Day a whole year later.  I honestly would not mind if my cousin had her wedding the same date in 2011... really no big deal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm with Danieliza, the rest of it really doesn't matter.  If someone else picked my wedding date as theirs, after the fact, I wouldn't have a problem with going to a wedding on our anniversary.  There are only so many days in a year.  Eventually, people are going to end up overlapping.  And if your cousin and his wife decide that they'd rather spend their first anniversary on their own, they don't have to come. 

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_picking-date-conflict-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:672488d7-c6fe-4d10-9b64-92aeddbec86cPost:01b3bd2f-4271-4917-985c-ef77b4a77b0c">Re: Picking a date and conflict etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]I only read your post up to the bold question.  No you don't need to change your date because it might fall on their anniversary.
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

Agreed
  • Options
    Yeah, dani's right.

My RD was actually on the same day as one of my very best friend's 10th wedding anniversary. Of course I told her she was welcome to skip, but they decided to come and we acknowledged them at the dinner. It's actually kind of cool to (almost) share an anniversary with her.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_picking-date-conflict-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:672488d7-c6fe-4d10-9b64-92aeddbec86cPost:01b3bd2f-4271-4917-985c-ef77b4a77b0c">Re: Picking a date and conflict etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]I only read your post up to the bold question.  No you don't need to change your date because it might fall on their anniversary.
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I would have no problem going to a wedding on my anniversary, March 6 is not "mine" until the end of eternity.
  • Options
    Yes it is ok.  That date isn't owned by anyone.  And the dates on Memorial weekend are never exactly the same anyway.  Good luck with the planning!
  • Options
    It's totally fine to have it on someone's anniversary. If it makes sense for you and your FI, then it's a good date.
  • Options
    No need to change your date.  They can always choose to celebrate their anniversary another day or not attend your wedding. But it isn't as if you picked that exact same wedding date, then that might cause conflict.  Your date is perfectly fine.
  • Options
    Yeah, I stopped at the bold question, too. No offense, it was just a long read. As far as having it on Memorial Day weekend, would the anniversary be the exact same date? And if it is, who cares? It's a whole year later.

J's sister got married a year and 2 or 3 weeks after we did. We weren't pissed about it.
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else.  No reason not to have that date!

Good luck!
  • Options
    You get out of school before Memorial Day? Huh. I was always in school until the 3rd week of June.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Have your wedding when it works best for you and your FI.  If your cousin doesn't like it then he doesn't have to go.
    Heather and Tom 10.10.10 10.10.10 - Tom and Heather Sitting on the Dock
  • Options
    Don't change your day. Do what works for you. MANY people get married this weekend. If it were the same weekend, same year, it'd be different. But they don't own Memorial Day weekend. And it might be a nice anniversary trip for them. I'm all for any excuses to take a trip.

If you're doing an anniversary dance, it would be cute to mention them by name. This is what our friends did who both got married Memorial Day weekend one year after another.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards