Wisconsin
Options

marriage liscense--Milwaukee

When? Where? How? Can someone please explain to me where we need to go in Milwaukee to get our marriage liscense? When should I get it by, and what do we need to bring with us? Please help! :)
Thank you!

Re: marriage liscense--Milwaukee

• Options
    Dsyn23Dsyn23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's pretty easy to apply for a marriage liscense, you both just need to go down and apply.  We live in Waukesha county so we had to go to the Waukesha court house, but this link should tell you everything you need to know for Milwaukee.
    http://county.milwaukee.gov/GettingMarried22000.htm
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That was super helpful, thank you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure the link says all that I'm going to say but.....
    You both have to go in person
    You both need birth certificates
    You both need ids
    You both needsocial security cards
    Careful - Our ids have our old address so we had to bring a recent piece of mail with our new address
    You have to go within 30 days before your wedding BUT ALSO more than 7 days before it ( I hope that makes sense....we almost missed the 7 day before cutoff, yikes!)
    The fee is $105 (I believe) and you have to pay in cash
    After the wedding make sure the paper gets sent in, and they will process it (our priest sent it in.)  If you want copies of the marriage certificate (which you need for name change, proof, etc.) you have to go back to the courthouse after the wedding to buy those.  Its $20 (I think) for the first copy and $3 for each other copy you buy that day (I got 4 copies just to have for the future.)
    It is such a pain.,..........
  • Options
    jberg134jberg134 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_marriage-liscense-milwaukee?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:118Discussion:add2af08-dbf3-4cab-a401-1a8d91112929Post:ac027e2e-a60f-43ce-871d-5d7f09be8645">Re: marriage liscense--Milwaukee</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure the link says all that I'm going to say but..... You both have to go in person You both need birth certificates You both need ids You both needsocial security cards Careful - Our ids have our old address so we had to bring a recent piece of mail with our new address You have to go within 30 days before your wedding BUT ALSO more than 7 days before it ( I hope that makes sense....we almost missed the 7 day before cutoff, yikes!) The fee is $105 (I believe) and you have to pay in cash After the wedding make sure the paper gets sent in, and they will process it (our priest sent it in.)  If you want copies of the marriage certificate (which you need for name change, proof, etc.) you have to go back to the courthouse after the wedding to buy those.  Its $20 (I think) for the first copy and $3 for each other copy you buy that day (I got 4 copies just to have for the future.) It is such a pain.,..........
    Posted by Future Mrs. Grycowski[/QUOTE]

We just applied for ours on Wednesday.  The above is all correct.  There is a 7 day waiting period for the license, so you have to go at least 8 days before the wedding, but not more than 30 days. 

Also, you have to have the name, address, and phone number of the officiant.  My FI forgot to bring that info so we had to scramble to find it.
    September 2011 Siggy Challange: Honeymoon!
    image 145 Made the cut!
    image 59 Are ready to celebrate! image 23 Are missing out! image 65 Don't know the meaning of RSVP!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And if either one of you was previously married, you need a certified copy of the final divorce decree.  Divorce must be final at least 6 months, too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards