Flowers

Winter Flower Disappointment

I’m extremely disappointed in the florist I spoke with.  I’m having a December wedding and I do realize that there aren’t a lot of flowers in bloom, but was hoping she would have more suggestions then roses and carnations.  Does anyone have any ideas for winter flowers or an alternative to a bouquet?  I would like to stay away from any Christmas theme.

Re: Winter Flower Disappointment

• edited December 2011
    There are plenty of flowers that you can do in winter that are readily available- orchids, mums, gerbera daisies, calla lilies, alstroemeria, lilies (Oriental and Asiatic), anthurium, bird of paradise, protea, etc. If you want something different, you may like orchids. They tend to be more expensive per stem, but you can get a lot of impact with just a few blooms.
    I'm surprised the florist said there aren't many choices in winter! You may want to try somewhere else to be sure that you get what you want. My mom owns a flower shop and the above flowers are  ALWAYS in stock, no matter what time of year. They may be more expensive at different times of the year, but sometimes you'd be surprised what is actually in season during winter. Flowers come from all over the world and it's summer in the southern hemisphere when it's winter hear!
  • alyssalowealyssalowe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually am getting married in December as well but probably not much help as I am doing roses primarily. On top of that I am adding in "star of bethlaham" and "stephanotis."  I agree with the person above that ALOT of flowers are available year round, you just have to pay extra on occasion. If your florist doesnt say that to you, I would look elsewhere.
  • edited December 2011
    Perhaps you should speak to another florist... it doesn't sound like the one you have been speaking too is very creative!
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you posted this issue on your local board?  Perhaps brides on that board may have some ideas/recommendations for more creative florists.

Best of luck!
  • edited December 2011
    find another florist!!!!  December is great for flowers.... Might cost a bit more but you can get tulips, orchids, anemones, peonies, white lilac, amarillis!!!!, calla lilies, star o bethlehem, stock, freesia, lilies... 

Keep shopping... and tank the carnations... ( good greif!)

• edited December 2011
    I agree with all the other brides. I wouldn't stick with the florist you talked to. It doesn't sound like she was a lot of help. I would do some more research. Don't give up hope! There are plently of flowers for winter weddings and you will find a florist who can help you.

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards